Server Crash Again (Different Server) Back up though…

It’s been a rough week or so. It seems that everything (Especially computers) are crashing in my world. The main SikhNet server crashed last week from hard drive data corruption. 24 hours of work and we got it back up again. My home computer had a crucial system file that just disappeared monday morning all of a sudden after I rebooted the computer and it wouldn’t start up. Luckily  I was able to resolve this problem without too much pain. Yesterday the second SikhNet (linux) server crashed and I’ve been working on getting it back up since last night. It’s not like I’m installing weird stuff or even doing anything.

11 Years of running SikhNet and I have never had this many issues all at once . We used to have hosting with Rackspace.com which is an awesome hosting company. They are so on top of things and so professional. Like they advertise everywhere….they have "Fanatical support". This level of service and support comes at a premium price though (It cost us around $3,000/month for our two dedicated services, firewall, backup, and loads of bandwidth needed to host sikhnet). We hosted with them for over three years (happily), but had to move our servers to discount hosting companies to cut costs as a result of declining revenue for SikhNet. In the past most of our funding came from the SikhMatrimonials.com service. With all the shaadi competition in the market, slowly the major competitors have pinched SikhNet’s funding. Our focus changed from providing and creating commercial fee type services, to serving more and helping inspire people. Our hope was that we would transition to community support in a larger way (ie: donations from sangat like you who use SikhNet). Anways, this is still in transition….and we have been trying to kick of our annual fundraiser for SikhNet, but some issue or the other keeps popping up.

Well, I should get off the computer. My eyes are getting glazed and it’s time to rest a bit. Pray for a smooth sailing from now on for the SikhNet servers and SikhNet in general!

9 Responses to “Server Crash Again (Different Server) Back up though…”

1. Jaspreet Singh says:

Hi,

I know it must have been an extremely difficult decision to move to low cost hosting companies. While talking about fundraising, why don’t you enroll for Google’s Adsense program. The fact you update your site so frequently and some times touch on a range of topics, would mean a wide variety of ads that could possibly generate revenues for Sikhnet.

I was reading an article in a nespaper here in Dubai, about how some people residing in US were making around 80,000+ through the adsense program, and these people are no famous personalities or companies but common people runnign websites on simple themes like home furnishing, cooking recipies, etc.

Jaspreet

2. Jaspreet Singh, Thank you for your suggestion! Google Adsense doesn’t work this way for everyone. I have tested it and there are very few advertisers that have content that is related to Sikh/Indian areas….except for our matrimonial competitors. The main advertisers are other indian matrimonial sites. It is not easy to make $80,000 from adsense …and by no means the norm. You have to have a broad audience and more mainstream content (or more advertisers on google that targeted the type of visitors that come to SikhNet and the content which displays).

3. Gurinder "G" says:

Gurumustak singh, since this website is so popular why not also use for advertisement. Since there is lot of space on the left side of the screen and also have advertisements from reputable companies. this may bring in some more cash for the website.

4. Gurinder, as a non-profit organization we cannot do regular advertising for profit. We can however do sponsorships which can serve the same purpose for companies. We plan to setup a system for this in the coming year. The main issue is having someone who can pursue companies and get them to become a sponsor. We would need someone on a regular basis to be a “sales” type person to get companies/individuals to become sponsors. This is the hard part.

5. Gurinder "G" says:

Gurumustak singh,

Everything will work out fine and keep on thinking about the alternatives. I have the feeling that there are going to be big projects coming in the future for you guys.

So please hang in there.

6. M Singh says:

Hi Gurumustuk,

I was reading your post and it really made me think how we are all using sikhnet and your blog as a resource for knowledge but we really don’t know how much work goes on behind it. I think it is important we all donate to sikhnet for you to carry on this sewa. Funny thing is the more we donate, the benefits come staight back to us!

7. Prabhu Singh says:

I agree with M Singh Ji.
    What other thing can we invest in and so readily see the returns?
    Sikhnet is so amazing! I will donate again soon.

8. PROUD SIKH says:

SIKHNET is the ultimate destination for so many Sikhs. I can never imagine SIKHNET going away.

Ups and downs in revenue happen all the time, we just got to hold on tight through the bad times.

I personally think that SIKHNET needs a re-design. The website looks the same for quite some time now. SIKHNET should do a makeover with a new Web 2.0 design which will capture more attention, donations, and be easy on the servers too.

Try – Aplus.net for hosting. I have been with them for over 7 years now.

What do you think ?

9. ProudSikh, we had plans to do a re-design this year and do other major backend upgrades, but never got to finalizing things because there were so many things to take care of and it is a big thing. We plan to continue work on it this next year.

We have used Aplus.net in the past for one of our servers. This is another discount hosting company. They did not have options that we needed so we moved from them to another host.