Martyrs of Amritsar

In the mid 70’s Guruliv Singh created quite a few different audio stories relating to different things from Sikh history. These are the stories that I grew up on and used to fall asleep listening to. Narayan now listens to them too when he goes to sleep. At night he always says “Papa…I want to hear the Guru Stories!”. I think he has heard them enough times to know quite a bit of the story-line by heart. It’s a great way for kids to learn.

I recently found a few more stories that Guruliv Singh had produced that I did not have. Tonight I will share one of them with you. This story is titled the “Martyrs of Amritsar“, and was made to tell the story of those that sacrificed their lives in Amritsar on Baisakhi Day, 1978. It tells the story of Bhai Fauja Singh’s leadership along with the other Sikhs. Curious about the story? Well…you’ll just have to listen to it to find out more.

Martyrs of Amritsar
Story told by Gurliv Singh

Download Audio Size 7.7MB

You can also read more about Bhai Fauja Singh and what happened there that Baisakhi. There are articles, Stories and Letters remembering the life of Bhai Fauja Singh and others. All material on the website came from the 1978 Spring issue of the “Beads of Truth” Magazine.

PS. For those that enjoyed this story you can buy the three audio CDs which have most of the stories by Gurliv Singh. Well worth the $12.98 for each CD! You can order them here (Vol 1, 2 and 3)

12 Responses to “Martyrs of Amritsar”

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
    Gurmustuk Ji, amazing story and equally amazing shabd kirtan in the back ground! I was wondering if you could post that shabad for download on your blog and give the name of the ragi etc. It sounded so amzazing I just loved it.
    May the guru always be remembered in our hearts….

2. Anon: I am not sure which ragi was playing the kirtan in the background. It sounds a bit like Bhai Hari Singh. In any case these recordings were done in the late 1970’s so I don’t have the Kirtan or a way to get it.

3. Sat Naam!

baabaaNee-aa kaahaaNee-aa, put supat karen
    – “The stories of one’s ancestors make the children good children.”
    (ang 951)

Bhaji Gurumustuk Singh jee could you please post more audios like this in the future. Very inspirational and the way it is presented is very ear-catching and effective for children.

Thanks

Guru Rakha

WJKK WJKF

I was wondering if you could tell me how I may be able to get the audios you mentioned, i would like to use them to educate my children also.

P.S. This is a great post, i always enjoy reading it, if have alot from it-keep up the good work

5. Glad you liked the story. They are nice because they are very oriented to kids and go slowly and explain things in very simple terms. Many of the Sikh story books these days are so technical and hard for kids to get into.

gurmustuk is guruliv related jarnail bhindwala… the leader of kar ku in punjab

thanks

7. The Gurliv Singh who made these stories was a American who adopted the Sikh religion.

Hello
    Does anyone know or can hear the lines being said in the background kirtan while the story is being told…or recognize the voice of the ragi? I dont think its bhai hari singh
    Thanks
    Fateh!

Gurumustuk Singh bhaji is it true that some 3ho sikhs wrote a book about 1978 called something like the day sikhism nearly ended?

someone said thus to me, i thought i’d ask u if its true

10. Anon: If someone did write this book I have not heard of it. I was only a baby at the time so someone from my parents generation might know.

11. Dhan Dhan Guru Pyaare

Sir Jaave Ta Jaave, Mera Sikhi Sidkh Na Jaave

I applaud Gurliv Singh for doing this story. Many people tend to bury their heads in the sand and pretend such events never occured or won’t mentionit afraid they may offend someone. But you should always stand and speak up for what you belive and what you know is the truth

BTW if someone does figure who is doing the kirtan in the background please let us know it is indeed very beautiful