Jana Gana Mana – National Song of India

I was uploading some videos to Google Video tonight and I came accross this video which is a composition of the National Song of India (Jana Gana Mana). It brought back memories of the many years I lived in India during my schooling (when I was much younger).

During the morning “Assembly” we used to sing this song as well as a Shabad before we started school. I don’t know the history or significance of this song, but the words and tune just bring back those years in my mind. It’s a nicely made video. There were pretty much all the big name musicians in the video (see the credits at the end). I recognized many of the voices/musicians when I heard it (Jagjit Singh, Asha Bhosle, Hari Prasad Chaurasia, Sultan Khan, A.R. Rahman, Lata Mangeshkar, etc). This video doesn’t really have anything to do with Sikhi for me, but having spent so many years in India, I relate a lot to Indian culture and it is like my second home for me.

Watch the Video Below

53 Responses to “Jana Gana Mana – National Song of India”

Every since I was a kid, this song used to choke me up and bring tears to my eyes. I didn’t know why. It all changed in 1984, when mobs of flag waving Indians chanting Indian patriotic slogans attacked my house, burnt it down and me and my family barely espaced. All this because we were sikhs. And when I heard this today it sent chills down my spine. Before people start calling me a bigot and Indian hater, I just want to say that I am none of those but a victim of anti sikh pogroms in India. Even after 21 years the my wounds are still raw.

I sympathize with the anon 1. To me it did stir a lot of good memories of my child hood in India. Thank you.
    Gurmeet Kaur

3. Anon1: I can understand how you feel. This is very natural and I might feel the same way if that happened to me. Of course not everyone went through the experiences that you had to go through, and I think not everyone in India is as bad as those people who attacked you and were full of hate.

One thing I have learn is that it is easy to have generalized hate towards a group/country/etc. It’s like people in Iraq or other places hate Americans. Of course not everyone is bad…but because of some people we get generalized into a category.

My prayer is that you are able to heal your wounds, and open your heart to a chance of change from the people of your country.

Ustad Rashid Khan, whose name is not even mentioned in your post, showed the most skilfull representation of the Raga, followed by soulful taan by THE JAGJIT SINGH. Rest of it was very mediocre.

it was a pleasure to finally hear this again. i am first generation indo-canadian, but the spiritualness of this video and music is just phenomenal. it breaks all conceptions and misconceptions, hate and discrimination, etc. i agree with gurumustuk, that we as humans generalize bad experiences, but with the grace of the guru and the blessing of naam and shabad, our minds become universal and more loving (away from dichotomy and duality)……….there is a sense of oneness. hate crimes and victimization has occured since the time of man, and the one thing that will always hold us together is the shabad guru, and the true friend will always be vaheguru (‘Mitar pyaraay noo, haal muridha dha kainah’). feel pain and compassion for others, but be strong enough to help them through it. i sympathize with anon 1, as i too had family that suffered. india has given us the founders of our religion, it has given us music with immense spiritualness to it, and a diversity of culture. anyhow, accept my humble thoughts. take care.

It is very easy for others to say to forget about what happened in the past!

It is easy to say because your family was not affected by the riots, your sisters were not raped on the streets, your mothers were not dragged to the streets and stripped naked, your brothers were not dragged to the streets and burnt alive!

It is very easy to say to forget about it!

It is very EASY to teach others about Tolerance and Grace when your family was NEVER affected by it.

It is easy to GIVE lectures to others…

india didnt give us our gurus… india is a new thing. created by the british in 1947.

india is a bunch of distinct communties thrown together, with the majority trying to suppress and assimilate the minorites. how else to u explain a million christians, muslims and sikhs killed int he last 20 years in india. dont beleive my numbers? check with amnesty international.

dont think ethnic cleansing and oppression still doesnt occur? well it does, i know many families in punjab who’s kids have been picked up and dissapeared or been harassed by police in the last 2 months. they are in their teens.

you can ignore the facts. but it does not change the truth.

no respect to that anthem, for whos name countless innocent blood is spilt, and will continue to be spilt, and ppl raped tortured and harassed in the name of that flag and anthem.

9. Observer says:

you can ignore the facts. but it does not change the truth.

YOU FORGOT: It was origionally written in Bengali! :D

This is sooooo nice! And very beautiful! Thanx!

Dear Anonymous, These writings have left a lump in my throat.Please read Babarvani(SGGS pageNo- 417 & 418) and feel the same emotion with Guru Nanak.May God Bless You & show You the right path ! Well I am not myself sure what is right or wrong ! Infact I pray everyday for the right direction.Guru Mehar Kare! Sarbat Da Bhala

13. rajwant Singh Kalsi says:

If the Sikhs had an apex body representative in the forties then,Sikhs were able to have a Sikh nation as Jinha could have for Muslims. Why Sikhs representative Sardar Baldev Singh was not in tune with Master Tara Singh and others.History shows that Britishers were interested to give land for the sikhs and the sikhs missed the opportunity because of the fake promises of Nehru Group. Now no way to start afresh. Only way for the Sikhs to topple the situation is through their skill.Highly educated Sikhs should seize the key posts and win the mass by their good work. The way Khalistanis want to carve a sikh land will never ever be allowed to happen by the Hindu majority.Yet for many more decades sikhs have to continue learning to say Namastey ji.

It isn’t easy to forget what happened to Sikhs in 1984 and also, what happened in the past with our Guru’s. We as Sikhs have always been tried and tested with many bad times. But as our Blessed Guru Gobind Singh said to the moghuls, the harder they try to wipe out Khalsa the stronger we will become in numbers and strength.

Today we have a Sikh Prime Minister of India the minority has been brought into the limelight simply by this happening. We also have a Sikh who is head of the army of India, and this is only the beginning…..

We as Sikhs do things the right way, truth always prevails!

Avtar Singh

Dear Gurumustuk Singh,
    while were on the topic of india it would be interesting to know what SSS Harbhajan Singh Khalsa Yogiji’s view were on the issue of Khalistan.

Dear Avtar Singh,
    Yes we do have a sikh priminister and sikh army chief, but what has this really achieved. Sikhs are still having to register there marriages under the hindu marriage act. And the constitution of india, the strongest and most important document in india defines sikhs clearly as Hindus. (now i agree most people here would agree that sikhs are not hindus). And sikhs have tried to change the constitution by appealing to the supreme court, unfortunately the highest legl body in the country upheld the document. It is also very unfortunate that with sikhs in such high places the injustices in uttranchal could not be avoided.

Its all in the way you look at it. To me the appointment of a sikh priminister is pointless asit hasnt achieved anything. And i find it hard to repect Mr Manmohan Singh when being a sikh hes uses the Guru Granth Sahib as a gift to present to dignataries.

repectfully yours UK

To post this “anthem” is to SPIT on the shahidi of over 200 000 Sikhs from 1980 to the present. Those Sikhs gave their lives to oppose the Indian State and here we are happily playing its anthem.

It is the equivalent of a Jew posting the anthem of Nazi Germany. Because those killed were Punjabi Sikhs, does not mean that this tragedy can be overlooked by non-Punjabi Sikhs.

This Anthem was sung by the troops before beginning the slaughter in June 1984, it was sung by the thugs who rampaged in the State-sponsored pogroms of November 1984 and continues to be sung by those who would oppress the Sikhs.

The Sikhs have an anthem of their own. They have a flag of their own. The Sikhs are a Nation. It is absolutely inappropriate to have posted this song.

18. I really didn’t expect a reaction like this and was surprised to see the flood of comments this morning. It is clear that there is a lot of emotion related to Sikhs and India…and I have touched a “sore spot” which I didn’t expect. I have not meant to dis-respect anyone. I grew up in India and this was merely a song that brought back memories for me and I was sharing that.

Is there something in the Jana Gana Mana song which is offensive? Or is it merely because it is Indian?

One thing I have found is that we as a Sikh community have a lot of strong emotions from the past (rightly so), however we as Sikhs have to find a way to bring ourselves above those feelings, just as the Sikhs that sacrificed their lives in the times of the Gurus did.

Actions speak louder than words, so let us not spend so much time putting down this or that person/government and find some way to use our energy in productive ways to help make a change. This is where we should focus.

My apologies if I have offended anyone. I posted all this with sincerity and innocence and without any agenda.

Dear Gurumustuk Singh,
    Reiterating my previous question i asked ‘it would be interesting to know what SSS Harbhajan Singh Khalsa Yogiji’s view were on the issue of Khalistan’.

you say ‘are all Sikhs who live in India anti India?’. My reply to that is that i dont believe any sikh who calls themselves indian can be sikh. I dont mean this in the way that sikhs arnet indians because look at what india did to us. But i mean that the indian constitution clearly labels Sikhs as Hindus. Being american you know undoubtably know the importance of a constitution.

you said
    ‘So…are all Sikhs who live in India anti India? I would have thought that many love India. They may not like the government or some practices.’
    my reply to that would be that the constitution is India. people may disagree with the government or practices and still be indian. but how can you disagree with the fundemental document that makes india everything it is. therefore i dont think you can diagree with the constitution and still be indian.

you say ‘One thing I have found is that we as a Sikh community have a lot of strong emotions from the past (rightly so), however we as Sikhs have to find a way to bring ourselves above those feelings’
    yes 1984 is in the past (we will never forget)… but how can you or anyone for that matter expect sikhs to move on with this insult which is not in the past but is very much still alive and in the present. Sikhs have tried to change this and challenged it in the supreme court but they upheld it. so where next. SURELY YOU CANNOT EXPECT SIKHS TO LIVE WITH THIS INSULT…..CAN YOU???

Gurmustak,

I understand your intentions weren’t bad in posting this, but that still doesn’t mean it’s not disrespectful.

You said, “however we as Sikhs have to find a way to bring ourselves above those feelings, just as the Sikhs that sacrificed their lives in the times of the Gurus did. ”

The Sikhs in the times of the Gurus certainly did not cope with the Shahidi of Guru Arjan and Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib by playing the Mughal national anthem. They created armies and opposed the Mughal Regime.

That’s what it means to bring ourselves above. It means to do something. Posting the Indian anthem is nothing akin to what those Sikhs did or would have done.

Do we have to bring the riots into everything to do with India? India is a great place with a rich culture. I’m proud to be a Sikh (A learner of god) and an Indian. Gurumustuk, You have no need to apologise, people seem to have forgotten another side to them, the Indian side.

22. This is all a learning experience for me. Thank you for for sharing your thoughts.

Since I did not know the meaning of the “Jana Gana Mana” song I went and looked it up.

It is from a Poem by Rabindranath Tagore. Here is the English translation that was listed on that website:

“Thou art the ruler of the minds of all people, dispenser of India’s destiny.

Thy name rouses the hearts of Punjab, Sindh, Gujarat and Maratha, of the Dravida and the Orissa (Utkala) and Bengal;
    It echoes in the hills of the Vindyas and Himalayas, mingles in the music of Jamuna and Ganga and is chanted by the waves of the Indian Sea.

They pray for thy blessings and sing thy praise. The saving of all people waits in thy hand, thou dispenser of India’s destiny.
    Victory, victory, victory to thee.”

23. Punjabig says:

Gurumustuk,
    As soon as I saw your post on Jan Gan Man, I had a laugh..not because there was anything wrong with you posting this but I thought to myself, if Gurumustuk knows what kind of comments he will be getting for posting this and yup you did have to take a lot of criticism for it. But it has nothing to do with you, so don’t feel bad! There is nothing offensive either with Jan Gan Man. The thing is, the Sikhs outside India (most of your blog readers) have not/ cannot move on with what happened in 80s and 90s to Sikhs. In India, its different..they can’t really voice their anger or opinions against govt. the way they do it here. So some have moved on, forgot about the past and younger generation doesn’t know much because they won’t find much independent info. on what really happened. For sikhs outside India, any Sikh (especially known Sikh figure)praising Indian const. or national anthem is just asking for trouble..;-)) They feel like it is just adding insult to injury or betraying them. But I guess that’s the fun of it. You learn some good stuff and some bad and sometimes you learn it the hard way. Please keep posting!

24. Moorakh says:

Sat Sri Akal:

This post reminded me of a Jewish Holocast Survivor. She spoke of the horrors she had to suffer through, about her serial number that the Nazis tattooed to her like cattle and the horrors of concentration camps. She made the comment at the end of the speech that she was very uncomfortable around Germans and she did not want to be in their presence.

A person who is not directly exposed to such tragedy, horror and human hatred is unable to fully understand those who have. Even I momentarily thought, “Why does she hate Germans so much?” Then my brain reminded me very quickly of the 1984 genocide and suddenly, the reality of her comments became very clear.

Just imagine that the very people who you had called uncle and auntie, friend and neoghbor are calling for your blood the next day. Where mobs of people who had lived with you earlier are out to seek your death because of who you are. Yet, that same person they had been friends and colleagues with for years. I am reminded also of the scene of Shindler’s List, where a German soldier is running the streets rounding up Jews when he comes across a friend. He stares at the yellow star on his friend’s vest and is beset by the irony – what has he been doing to those very people who had been his neighbors and friends.

Absolutely crushed by the treason of their fellow countrymen and themselves branded traitors and looked upon with either ridicule or hatred, the Sikh community has a right to be upset. A Sikh who is completely immersed in Gurbani and Rehat is neither affected by grief or sadness. Such were our ancestors and so are those rare Gurmukhs who still live today. But for those who are like myself, worldly beings, this is not something that can be forgiven or forgotten. What makes is worse is that rather than an isolated event, it has shown to be systematic attack on Sikhs that continues today.

Gurumustuk Singh Sahib Ji, your intentions are most innocent and pure, but the baggage of your Panth is heavy. So please forgive us who seem to be offended by your post. It is not in any way your fault. But it must certainly be a very awkward scenario when a simple song can evoke such a strong response. I assure you, if murderers were to sing a lullaby while torturing then murdering your family, you would cringe at the sound of it if it was ever played. Singing such songs, entire villages were wiped out.

Such is the reason for the emotion. Hopefully, the Sikh Panth will forgive…that is the Guru’s Hukam. But it certainly should never forget.

Bhul Chuk Maaf. No offense intended. I believe that none of the brothers and sisters that posted here are upset at you (especially after all the great sewa you have done…we are in your debt).

Moorakh

25. Moorakh: Thank you for your most clear and thought out comments. It really does put things in perspective and show the different sides of how people feel.

Just so you know my family are Jewish and were a part of the holocaust. My grandmother and family were lucky to have escaped the Nazi concentration camps…but not all my family. The few times we have talked about that time I sensed a strong emotion from my family. These things are not easy to forget and get over.

My grandparents (on my father’s side) who are from Christian background both fought in the War against Germany.

So…not only am I a Sikh and feel the burden of my fellow Sikhs..but also feel the same hurt from my Jewish family.

I was in India during the period of attacks in Harmandir Sahib/Punjab (1983-1993), however I did not experience or know much of what was happening since our school was in Mussoorie/UP and I was just a kid. I only remember hearing small stories of things happening and how dangerous it was to be in Punjab.

I would never do anything intentionally to hurt my fellow Sikhs. My motives are always to serve and help others. I would hope that my reputation and 10+ years of serving the Sangat through SikhNet would be some example for that.

In the end we are all humans and people of God. This goes beyond country, religion, beliefs etc. My prayer is that we as a humanity can continue working towards peace and harmony; Do our best to heal wounds of the past and find ways to deal with issues at hand in a positive way.

Someone above just said that Sikhs abroad feel more angry ect ect. I agree with this to a slight extent but not all the way. I’ve noticed on many Sikh websites (not naming any) that most of the people who post comments reffering to bluestar are people who were never born around that time period. There’s just so much anti-India content around now that people easily get sucked up into hating the country, not the government.

I think more should be done to re-introduce patriotism in these young people. You can be patriotic without liking the government.

27. Kiren says:

Dear Gurumustuk,

Thank you so much for posting this song. My family has lived outside India for 3 generations, so our only real connection with the land is that it was the birthplace of Sikhi.

And yet, for some reason, everytime I hear this song, it brings tears to my eyes. I never knew what it meant, but to me it was always a call from home.

And despite all we may say about India, remember that the land is purified by the single fact that our Gurus walked on that earth. That, for me, is enough to elevate it and bring me joy.

There is no doubt that Gurumustuk Ji’s blog is highly inspirational and for this reason, I often ask people I know to visit this site regularly.

However, I’d be less than honest if I say that like many other readers, I was not offended by the Jana Gana Mana video. In my opinion, it doesn’t belong on a site that claims to represent Sikh values and ethics.

Critical thinking demands that we carefully examine the following facts.

a) The song Jana Gana Mana was first sung in a session of the Congress in 1911 – the same session in which King George V was felicitated. Thus ‘Bharat Bhagya Vidhata – Dispenser of India’s Destiny’ was none other than the British Emperor, in whose glory the song was composed. It’s not surprising, given the fact that not only Tagore, but several generations of his family before him (being big feudal landlords of Bengal), were staunch supporters of the British.

b) Jana Gana Mana is in Bengali language, which, a very small fraction of the Indian population understands. This is like all of Europe having an anthem in Romanian language.

c) The song refers to Sindh – a geographic area that is a part of Pakistan. What would it be like if France had a national anthem that talked about Scotland or Wales in glowing terms? Clearly, Pakistan needs to be concerned about this.

d) It’s a complete misnomer to call Jana Mana Gana – or any other song for that matter – India’s national anthem because India is not a nation. India was created by the British for their administrative convenience.

Before the British – there was NEVER a time in history when Chennai, Mumbai, Bathinda and Sri Nagar were a part of the same administrative unit. The political boundaries of India are not sacrosanct – they never were. They have changed countless number of times in the past and it’s only through the use of most inhumane, cruel and barbaric use of force that India as a country has survived for the last 58 years.

Tagore is one the best poets of India who won Noble Prize for literature. He wrote National Anthem of India and I used to hear it every morning in our school prayer.

Let us not forget that there was a legend behind the poet.

His father used to take him to Golden Temple to listen Gurubani and Kirtan. Not only this, his father kept a company of Guru Sikh(s) in the house for his son should listen to classical music from Guru Granth Sahib. It is believed he stopped cutting his hair to follow the example of Guru Gobind Singh. He immortalized bravery of Sikhs by his own pen.

Is not it great that a person not born in our culture adored it to reach the pinnacle of excellence.

Let us not hate the poet and the poem.

I wish to say only one thing that if you are not secure in your own country then it is normal that you will hate it. Nobody wants to leave his home country, but if you do not have security and respect it is better to leave that country. Sikhs have done a lot of for India, and what they get in reward is only burning tyres in their necks, bullets by their own countrymen and unjustice after so many years. I am living in Europe from number of years, it is very rare that I have seen any documentry or programme on Sikhs, Punjabi or Punjab. And in India also I have seen a lot of patriotic songs, but i had never seen any Sikh or Punjabi personality in it. They are always betraying Punjab and Sikhs. It is not just an emotional claim, you can do research and see yourself.

Never forget 84!!
    KHALISTAN ZINDABAAD!!!!KHALISTAN ZINDABAAD!!!!KHALISTAN ZINDABAAD!!!!KHALISTAN ZINDABAAD!!!!

India stop genocide!! Raj Kare Ga Khalsa!!

GET A LIFE ANONYMOUS!

YOU PROBABLY WERNT EVEN BORN WHEN THE GENOCIDES HAPPENED. PLUS THE POEM WAS ORIGIONALLY WRITTEN IN BENGALI AND THEN TRANSLATED INTO HINDI. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!!!!

YOU TALK ABOUT SIKH VALUES AND ETHICS, NOT EVERY BELIEVES IN GOING AROUND WITH A GUN SHOOTING INNOCENT PEOPLE AROUND IN PUNJAB. THERE’S ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO AN ARGUEMENT. LET’S KEEP GURUMUSTUK SINGH’S BLOG CLEAN AND FOR HEAVENS SAKE TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THAT THERE ARE THOSE WHO LOVE THE COUNTRY THAT THEY LIVE IN.

to the comment ‘YOU PROBABLY WERNT EVEN BORN WHEN THE GENOCIDES HAPPENED’it dosent matter if someone was around when the genocides happened or not. They can still effect you and you can still care about what happened.

Next you’ll be saying why do you care about the gurus you werent around when they were preacing.

I’m all for constructive arguments…..BUT thats just ridiculous

35. SikhsRus says:

Our Gurus also walked on land which is now in Pakistan, Iraq, Sri Lanka, Tibet and other I may not even know. Yet, does it mean we should be against the national anthems of those countries as well. Pakistan Government has not done much for Sikh community in the last 50 years. The first soldiers they allowed in Army was in 2005 (and I question if it was just symbolic). I don’t think Guru Gobind Singh Ji meant Khalistan to be a piece of land in Punjab (say from Amritsar to Ludhiana or something). Khalistan to me is when I see a Sikh in Mexico, or Argentina, Brazil, Tartarstan etc. With Sikhi spreading all over the World, Khalistan has a much wider meaning on a global scale. I see vision of Guru Gobind Singh with 96 crore khlasa coming true and not some wordly piece of land that some politicians in Punjab or Washington or Canada are claiming. Only then, we as Sikhs and true khalistan will prevail.

36. Satnam Ji,

I feel there’s a big difference in the perceptions of Sikhs who’ve been overseas for a few generations (e.g. like most Singapore/Malaysian Sikhs) and those who are new migrants.

The former group has very little contact with Sikh issues in the Punjab- e.g. RSS, Sikh politicians and their often canniving role with anti-Sikh organizations, the 1984 riots, the return of the shrines in Pakistan, the criticism of the SGPC, etc. So, they do not necessarily have anything against the country, India, although they may feel that the politicans can be scheming and cruel in dividing communities within India.

Rather than condeming anything Indian, most overseas-born Sikhs tend to appreciate it as part of their shared Indian heritage.

On the other hand, new migrants from India tend to be more concerned about events in India and view Sikhism with a particularly Punjabi bent. Thus, given Punjab’s history in the last 20 years, it is completely understandable why they would react with such vehemence to a song celebrating India.

I say this because I fully understand and sympathise with both groups, because I believe that comments people make are strongly linked to their personal experiences. Someone whose family had been hurt in the riots or who had experienced the religious conversion of a family member would take a very different stance from someone growing up in a sheltered, stable family environment where Sikhism was lived and experienced but not really discussed or explained at home.

For example, those who know me well will tell you that I’m a serious lover of history since I was 8 or 9. This has coloured the way I view things. Thus, I’ve always been intrigued why in most of our dialogue at camps, Gurdwaras or in the Sikh movies, we often hark back to the “golden ages” of the Gurus, and claim that life now is much worse than it was then. I think about this theme even though the main point of the talk or movie could be something totally different, eg humility, courage, etc. It’s just my background – I use history as a lens to understand things. Another example: some Sikhs argue about the length of the Rehraas. I wonder about the process that led to the Rehraas being shortened and why this had happened.

So, it’s important to understand where we’re coming from when we say something, preferably state our assumptions, and not always assume that other members of a discussion will think similarly.

– harminder singh
    east lansing, MI
    (originally from Singapore)

Amazing video – it brought back all my memories of childhood and schooling in India. Thank you very much Mr Singh for posting it.

Some of the comments left are hardly surprising – we Indians (irrespective of our religious affiliations) are, I guess, genetically predisposed to arguing and fighting all our lives. Good for ego boost – bad for building inter-community bridges.

May God bless all with more patience, virtue and understanding. Gur Fateh.

FIRST OF ALL, SASRI AKAL TO ALL ,
    I M NO SIKH BUT DNT THINK I DNT UNDERSTAND UR PAIN ,
    I AM AN INDIAN AND JUST CAME ACROSS THIS LINK ,
    INDIA, the land whom u all blame and the indians to whom u all blame for all this ,
    i dnt say that what happ to u in 1984 was wrong , but why blame india , whyblame the sacred national anthem for it ,
    why abuse the sacrifice made by Bhagat sing , azad , gandhi , and soo many others , they fought to see this FLAG high up in the AIR, they died for this National Anthem ,
    and some of u r wanting to spit on it ,
    what are u talking abt ,
    they never thought whether they were hindu,muslimor SIKH, we all are one ,
    why dont u see the olitical motive behind the whole thing, CONGRESS had to garner the sympath wave, for there vote bank, so it had to support and stage all those riots , i understand i can never imagine the pain some of our brothers went thru , but by abusing the National Flag and THe Natioanl Anthem , ur are no better than those who have hurt u , coz u r making all that sacrifice go to waste ,
    and i as a Hindu , with immense respect for Sikhism and GuruNanak and other guru’s , say every religion says in favour of piece , the, soo my dera brothers and sisters and mothers , try to understand the motive of these political parties, be one ,
    and at teh end i will like to add that , sitting in US u might saya lot bu the Passport that u hold is also indian ,
    and IFANY ONE STILL HAS ANY PROBLEM , AND DOES “DARE” TO SAY 1 BAD WORD ABT “OUR” NATIONAL ANTHEM AND FLAG , then “agar maa ka doodh piya hai , to come to india and meet me in delhi , and i will see u , and i promise u that u will see with me some more patriotic sikh brothers , than u .

wahe guru da khalsa, wahe guru de fateh

39. nitecop says:

let me say that as an indian who comes from a hindu/christian/sikh family i do sympathsize the events on 84 but i do not support the khalistan movement either. im an indian born in india but living globally in sevral countries, i had no clue about sikhs being so angry until i was in canada.. in india i always saw them as my brothers and sisters since they were so patriotic and pretty much a symbol of india in indian pop culture and here im just disgusted with the dirty politics going on… honestly if you consider urself a person of god you should be in favour of peace, harmony and non violenece. anything else will put in the same category of the illeterate mobs or terrorists who attack innocent people. gandhiji said an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.hate wont do you any good, winning hearts will.. case in point mahatma gandhi challenging the british empire vs. islamic extremists in kashmir. so stop spreading hate alredy and making things worse for the ppl in your community.

40. Ajit Singh says:

I am sikh and born and raised in India, i came here and i see all the pathetic comments made by khalistanis..its sad, Sikhs love INDIA, and always will, united we can do much more for Sikhism than with a small landlocked nation.

Mera Bharat Mahaan.

Long Live India!

Hey Gurumustuk
    Thats a really nice song , it livens the soul and the heart to hear those words…thanks for posting it. I havent heard that song in the past 8 years since i left my child hood home. Thanks.
    Bharat Mata Ki Jai!

I am shocked at the vitriol poured by few people on India. I was in Delhi during 1984 riot and carry two cracked ribs trying to save a sikh auto rickshaw driver (sadly whom I could not save). Later in my small apartment I had 15 sikhs were living till the trouble subsided. I definitely agree that what happened in 1984 was as bad Nazi holocaust. But for some reasons sikhs in Punjab seem to have elected a Govt full of people from same party that ran the progrom. It took 21 years for the government to even dole out compensation. But that still does not make India anti-sikh. For every one that participated in the massacre there are thousands more who opposed it.

43. Vijay says:

I am not a Sikh. I consider Sikhs my brothers who have fought side by side with others (muslims, hindus, christians, etc) for our freedom. I consider Sikhs to come from a long line of brave and strongly committed people. I am very proud to say that many of them are my Indian countrymen. I love India and I believe that the actions of a few arrogant and uneducated individuals have given India a bad rap (as in 1984). It is easy to break a realtionship but hard to put it back together. It is important to inculcate a sense of love, and faith along with unbiased education to help our future generations learn to live together in peace. I salute all Sikhs and also welcome them to be my Indian brother. My best wishes to all of you.

The vedio is just very impressive! It invokes my fond memories of my days in Indian Army for nearly 24 years, the pride we had in standing under the Flag and reciting the Anthem. This has been the spirit of Sikhism during freedom struggle. In proportion to the population, Sikh represention and sacrifices have been recognized throughout India for the impact the Sikhs made. It is unfortunate that distorted leadership in Punjab in eighties changed the fundamentals the Sikhism is structure on ‘sarbat da bhla’, ‘kudrat de sab bande’. The root of trouble that left Sikh psyche wounded for ever after 1984 riots was Bluestar of June ’84, and the root cause of Bluestar was the desecration of Golden Temple by misguided Khalistanies who turned this Holy Place into a fortress. And look, what damage has been done to Sikhism! Enough time has gone past, Sikhs have established themselves very well, in India and all over the world. It is now time that Sikh philosophy is projected in its essence of protecting the weak, discarding the conflicting and narrow intersts, and establishing themselves as a unfying spirtual force. It is time for Sikhs to rise higher and even condemn the caricatures of Prophet Mohamnad sahib that are fostering hate, spite and voilence. This is what Sikhs are made of, who can turn hatred to mutual respect and love. To this end, Sikhs have to do more soul searching within their petty politics and groupism.

I love this song, and the video itself brings tears of joy to my eyes. This song reminds me of the past, and where I am now. Its’s such a wonderful feeling to see and hear this song with such talented people with very graceful voices. I love it. Thank you.

46. Punit Kaur Khalsa says:

As a Amritdhari Sikh, i have to say that i love India very much, it is my home, my nation and my life.Since everyone has said their bit and pieces of how they feel, i just want to thank you Gurumustak for playing this video, Sikhs have forgotten their ties to our mother land we call “Bharat”…

Raj Karega Khalsa
    Jai Hind!!!

47. all-alone says:

I am also a hindu and also a brahman by caste. Have good friends in all the four main religions of india. Have seen the 84 riots and a lot more… have seen my own acquaintances looting shops and rioting against sikhs and my own acquaintances fighting them to save those shops and sikhs…. But and a big but, I fail to understand one thing… how come it is so difficult for us to understand that unless we co-exist together as lovely friends, taking biger challenges that are their in this vast and amazing universe, our lives have very little meanings…. there are so many tough but lovely challenges that God has given us a true games to understand his creation, fighting among ourselves is least challeging and has hardly anything good for us…. Can religion be above God and his creation??.. Can I be more brahman or more hindu than I am human? should I be??? How come it is difficult to understand…. There are so few things to know what is good and what is bad, if we can life simple life with least possible greed and work together to attain more miracles (which are infinite).. feel the real peace of mind, oneness with God and all the creation, then what is wrong in it… We have enough of resources, why so many people are let to live in poverty….. why we have so much of greed??… Tell people that when you feel love for fellow human beings you get more joy than when you feel love for your wife… your wife, your family becomes your part, they are one… next comes the feeling of loving people…. There is a great joy in making others happy… most men know how good they feel by making their wives and kids happy… but there is much more to it…. I am not that intelligent yet, but the more people you selflessly love the more divine you become….. you can’t chose people based on their religion or race…. you have to chose them based on their innocense and their goodness… where basic goodness is just lack of greed and feeling of caring for the whole humanity… probably you don’t need religion to understand this…. it is very simple…. work for your land that you live in…. no necessarily your own country.. people are everywhere….
    make your surroundings look more beautiful, join hands with good people, make yourself stronger and earn more money, but don’t end up in greed.. and then try your best to help others….. I am not preaching… you anyway don’t know me:-)…. believe me i cannot even make this thing understand to all of my own family people, I am just writing:-)….. enjoy, if possible we need to make the whole indian sub-continent beautiful…. we don’t need more nations we need those which are already there to be beautiful…. we can not run away… we have to make people understand soooner or later….

48. all-alone says:

Just one more thing to add after I re-read the posts once again,

In last 1000 years, the land of India (we can chose not to call it India, it doesn’t matter much, i don’t even care if i am a hindu or not), has suffer maximum casualities… and we have sacrified a large number of people of almost all religions to keep our diversity and our tolernace alive…. People have not read much of the history (as Harminder Singh said), so they do not know much, I am a hindu and one of my great-great garandfather became Sikh, and I am not the only one with such a history, how many Hindus and Jats became Sikh???…. and not only Sikh, many have become mulims as well. Do we have a count of it? So it is also possible that those fanatics who know nothing about history, eventually do all those things to their own cousin brother and sisters…

Because we don’t know history, we tend to ignore that even before British came and made us slaves, we had so many Rajputs who sacrificed themselves with amazing bravery, they were also hindus but actually they were just good people…. How many hindus were raped and killed by Invaders, why we started having Parda pratha in a land where Ladies didn’t even use to hide their upper bodies that much??
    And people were still so respectful for ladies. Anyone who doesn’t know what the culture or civilization of south Asia was prior to Mugals, just need to read some history. How many people were corrupt then, how they used to treat women?

Because of politics how many sikhs have been killed we don’t know, numbers will be more than are told, again though hindus are in majority but how many hindus have been killed in Punjab or in Kashmir or elsewhere in muslim dominated cities, we don’t know….

it is very difficult for those who go through these trauma to forgive the fanatics, but still all hindus or all muslims or all any other religions can not be blamed…

Not all people of a religion care about fanatics of their religion.. and as Gurumustuk Singh said, our action should speak louder and we should keep working to make things right again… a lot wrong has already happened…..

We have lost too many very good and brave people, irrespective of their religion… We need to protect the ones remainnig… but ofcourse i don’t know what to do, except for writing what i just wrote…. again, we have to make ourselves capable of doing good to others than only we can do some good…

49. Harnek Singh says:

Thanks Gurumustuk Singh, There is nothing wrong in Jan Gan Man and it does not say anything Against Sikhs. The name of Punjab, home of Sikhs and Sikhi, comes before then anyother Indian province in this song. Veer Jee, by putting up this song on Sikhnet you have not offeneded anyone.

What happened in 1984 was planned by some political leaders. As a Sikh it hurts me too, but it does not make me anti Indian. I still love India.

I heard that song after long time today and it brings tears in my eyes. It reminds my of my school days too. For begining to grade 12, everyday of my school started with this song.

Once again thank you so much for providing us with useful informaiton through this Sikhnet.

Harnek Singh

I am a Hindu from Hyderabad. I accidentally came upon this page while trying to figure out why the national anthem clubs all of southern states as Dravid.

I came to the US in 1987 for grad school. I always considered Sikhs as my brothers, while growing up, and more so now. All the stories I read when I was young described how brave and loyal friends Sikhs were.

I was a teenager when 1984 happened. Living in Hyderabad, we really didn’t get a feeling for what happened at Golden Temple, and what it meant for Sikhs. Life went on. And again when Indira Gandhi was killed, the only effect we had was a couple of days of curfew in the city, again, nothing major. And when those Hindu bastards went on a killing spree, we didn’t really get to know about it. In fact, I learnt about the atrocities only recently.

It probably doesn’t mean much to you, but I am truly ashamed at what some of the Hindus did after Indira died, and I want to apologize for that. I never was a big fan of her, and I hate her even more now. If I was a Sikh, I probably would have done the same thing her bodyguards did.

The contributions of Sikhs to India are legendary. In my mind, and in the minds of a majority of Indians, there is no India without Sikhs.

I hope you can forgive us!