American Political System and Corporations

I don’t normally get to involved in politics, but I am always irritated when I see how our current Government in America is spending our tax money and making really short-sighted choices. More and more money going towards wars, the army, nuclear programs etc, while they continue to cut funding on basic education needs for our schools and other programs.

This past weekend I watched a DVD documentary called The Corporation which really made me think about the world at it’s current state, and how all the big corporations are taking over and influencing the world towards a devastating future. Here is a short Synopsis of the movie:

“THE CORPORATION explores the nature and spectacular rise of the dominant institution of our time. Footage from pop culture, advertising, TV news, and corporate propaganda, illuminates the corporation’s grip on our lives. Taking its legal status as a “person” to its logical conclusion, the film puts the corporation on the psychiatrist’s couch to ask “What kind of person is it?” Provoking, witty, sweepingly informative, The Corporation includes forty interviews with corporate insiders and critics – including Milton Friedman, Noam Chomsky, Naomi Klein, and Michael Moore – plus true confessions, case studies and strategies for change. ” – Read More

I think it is important for us to be aware of certain things like this and help make a change in the current state, or else our children’s future might look very bleak. The whole political system is driven by money and power. Many of the choices that are made by Government are greatly influenced by these big corporations.

I recommend that everyone watch this movie.

I’ll leave you with this quote from a poster I saw:
“It will be a great day when our schools get all the money they need, and the Air Force will have to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber.”

Also check out this funny cartoon made by the “Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Founder” about the US budget and Oreo Cookies. It really put’s things in perspective.

6 Responses to “American Political System and Corporations”

1. SikhsRus says:

Gurmustuk Ji,

Thank you for bringing this topic up. Here is book that I heard is really good:
    “Confessions of an economic hitman”

also, check out this article on seed policy control at the same webpage

I don’t agree with everything on this website, but some things sure are an eye opener.

2. xSHANTIx says:

totally agree..the oreo cookie thing, even though its made in a fun way is making a really serious point! i think the uk is almost as bad as the us in the way they spend more money funding wars than eductaion and health right now. We all have to play our part against it i guess. It is the people of tomorrow who suffer from our actions today.

3. ik singh says:

i can’t believe there were only two comments under this post! actually i’m shocked. i was atleast expecting one from prabhu. :) really.

but here’s my two cents. everyone living in america is partly to blame. our economy is built on fear. more afraid we are the more we buy/spend money. everyone (who pays taxes) is a part of a pyramid scheme.

terrorist attack? let’s go to war, spend money, spend lives, create jobs, contracts…money and jobs all over the place.

if there wasn’t a WWII we would probably be still in depression. (of course i’m exaggerating). but the truth and the fact is that the war helped the us economy come out of depression.

hurricane=fear? let’s spend money.

obeisity=fear? let’s spend money.

Clinton didn’t need war to energize the economy he was lucky enough to have the internet/computer boom.

i can only go back until the 60’s and all i see is war, war, war. (except carter and look where it got him!)

having said all that i truely believe this is the greatest country of them all and i feel lucky to be here and i wouldn’t chose any other country to live in over this one (except of course if and when we had our own country).

…and that fear (of terrorism, of people who look different, of stock market collapse, etc.) is promoted throughout the U.S. by major media networks and corporate advertising. I’ve noticed that the less I watch TV, the more peaceful and effective I am; I’m not bombarded by images real or imagined that get my adrenaline flowing. It doesn’t mean that I don’t read newspapers and care about the troubles in the world, but I feel more compassion and take more action for the less-fortunate, instead of being paralyzed by the “world-is-going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket” despair that’s induced by TV news. Thanks for the post, Gurumustuk Singh. – Heather

I agree that we spend way too much money on military ans small amount of money on helping other people. Every year, our government gives billions of dollars in tax breaks to big corporations.At the same time, we are cutting vital programs that affect the children and we have millions of Americans without health indurance. Even our wars help big corporations such as Halliburton. These companies are making billions of dollars while people are suffering.

80 Billion to stay in Iraq for 1 year.
    Nothing to save peoples lives.

The Illuminati, Freemasons, etc.

You cannot go anywhere, without paying tax on something.