Job Security – Akal Security

Gurutej Singh describes how job rejections led to the founding of the multi-million dollar Akal Security, Inc.

It should have been one of the happiest days in my life. It was my graduation day from the Police Academy. I was the class valedictorian with the highest academic scores and the highest range scores. At my graduation, I received two letters of commendation from my instructors. The future should have looked bright, but in my mind and limited vision, I was losing hope.

For years I had been trying with one-pointed focus to get into law-enforcement. First I tried the Army because, under Eisenhower, the Army dress code had been modified to allow Sikhs to keep their beards and turbans. But the Commandant of one of the Army schools would not allow me on his installation. That ended my military career.

Thereafter, I began testing for every law­enforcement agency I could find, Federal, State, County and Municipal. I always scored very high on the tests, but when it came to the interview and the issue about my turban and my then much darker and much shorter beard, things never went further. It became an exercise in learning how to handle rejection. Finally, in the summer of 1978, an acquaintance of mine became the Chief of Police for a tribal agency near Espanola, and gave me my first job.

After a year, I had the opportunity to attend the Federal Police Academy and the New Mexico Peace Officers Academy to get my certifications. However, the news that I got the day before my graduation was that there had been a change of administration. We now had a new police chief who wanted to meet with me as soon as possible.

We met and he decided that with a beard and turban, I was not qualified to be a police officer. We went ’round and ’round, but I realized that it was a losing battle. I turned in my badge. Then, I went whining to Yogi Bhajan.

"Why do you want to say ‘Yes, Sir!’ all your life? Let’s start our own company. Then we will hire the police and the army officers and they will say ‘Yes, Sir!’ to you."

Fortunately, at that time my spiritual brother Daya Singh needed something to do, so Yogi Bhajan put us together. Under his guidance, Daya and I created Akal Security, Inc. Twenty­five years later, our company employs almost fifteen thousand former military and law­enforcement personnel, including two former U.S. Marshals. It is the fifth largest security firm in the U.S. and the second largest provider of security services to the federal government. Akal officers are present at the gates of eight Army installations and hundreds of federal courthouses and federal buildings throughout the U.S. We have become an integral and most trusted element of the homeland security program.

And they all say, "Yes, Sir!"

Gurutej Singh Khalsa is the founder of Akal Security, Inc. In 1999 his moving historical novel, Rajni, was published in India and will be published in the U.S. in 2005. His collection of poetry, Children of the Cusp, was published in 2001. Contact [email protected].

Security is commitment, training, intelligence, devotion, sacrifice, and pride in the duty and honor of selfless service. These are and will always be the values of Akal Security: deathless, unlimited, and forever. – Yogi Bhajan

11 Responses to “Job Security – Akal Security”

1. isingh says:

>>”Why do you want to say ‘Yes, Sir!’ all your life? …”

I’m going to print this out and put it in my cubicle and in my wallet ( to prevent justifying spending on something frivilous)…

Sat Nam!

-isingh

Sat Nam!

What a story! Good to hear of this success.
    Is the collection of poetry still available? Who is the publisher?
    Can we read a taster on the net? Or on the blog (yours i mean Gurumustuk)?
    There ought to be more poetry in life…
    manpreet

3. Manpreet, I’m not sure where it is available. You can contact Gurutej Singh at: [email protected] and ask him.

4. Narinder Singh says:

dear GS: Your blog is very informative. The Akal security story is really inspiring, I thought difficulties associated with sikhs’ beard/kesh “insignia” was limited to people of Asian origin! What a struggle for beliefs in the values u hold dear to you! In the present materilistic world where these values are given a go-bye for petty gains, your holding on to this is beacon for others. Sada Chardi Kala Wich Raho!

5. Guruka Singh says:

Here are some samples of Guru Tej Singh’s poetry.

6. Guruka Singh says:

COMMITMENT

Commitment is the Answer!
    Commitment is the Life!
    Commitment is the Lover,
    Commitment is the Wife!

Without Commitment
    Love would be lost.
    Commitment is the payment,
    And commitment the cost.

Love is the power
    That makes Saints of men.
    Commitment is the reason
    The Saints never bend.

Duty is my Sovereign,
    Dharma my Banner.
    Meditation, my Origin,
    And Sadhana my Hammer.

Life is for growing,
    God is for loving,
    Love is for knowing
    Commitment is the Answer!

7. Guruka Singh says:

GURU’S GATE

Where you enter below that humble arch,Is not the place to haggle or shop.
    It is the Gate through which the soldiers march,And the place where all cowardice must stop,For Ek Ong Kar is inscribed at the top.

It swings only one way: in, not out. And though heavy, for wrought with steel,With a gentle push, it will swing about,Opening onto the path that’s real,The path we walk, so the Soul may heal.

The path slopes down to a more humble place,Past Baba Siri Chand, in his meditation deep.

Silently he sits in that profound space,Beyond the fringe of the quantum leap, For that sleepless vigil is his to keep.

The white gate stands open, though it will latch, It is secure, but it will not lock, For the treasure within, no thief can snatch
    And those who shall have it, no one can block,For to receive it, you have only to knock.

The Gate of the Guru is open for all,The destination of the path is the same.

For, to each Divine Soul who answers the Call Is bestowed the gift of the One God’s Name,
    Set alight by the Shabd Guru’s flame.

Sat Shri Akal!
    Dear Guruka Ji,

Thank you so much for sending these poems. I only read them today (o6/08), but i will enjoy them the rest of my life.
    love,
    manpreet

9. desified says:

What a marvellous story and truly inspirational. I am not sure if you are aware but Akal Security recieved some press coverage here in the UK in the 80s by a broasheet and well respected newspaper – The Daily Telegraph and I had kept the article for years but sadly lost it in a mobe a few years ago. I’m glad that not only is Akal Security still in existence but its going strong.
    Well done to you and everyone associated with its success.
    Parminder

10. sarbjit singh says:

Gurutej Singh was in Singapore a couple of years back with his wife and he talked about the same thing which is written here in the blog post. He was very inspiring. :)