Summer Solstice 2010

Summer Solstice 2010

It’s been almost a month since the week long summer solstice camp finished and I’m still "processing". I find that all the meditation, yoga and time up on the mountain has a way of stirring things up for me and cleaning it out. I had a great time and got to meet lots of cool new people along with seeing older friends. It was great seeing all the Singhs/Kaurs from England and Canada. They had quite a few people in their groups!

Many of the previous years I have taken loads of pictures and videos at Summer Sostice, however this year I flew under the radar and mostly stayed away from any capturing and just participated. It’s often times hard to experience/participate and capture at the same time.  My camera gear is heavy and a pain to carry and I thought I would capture some pictures videos with my iPhone but that option got shut down by God when my phone fell in the toilet bowl on the first day. That really sealed my "disconnect" from email and gadgets for the weak.

So, while I didn’t do much capturing at Summer Solstice many others did! I just came across a video that was produced by  Elena Tchoujtchenko (Ek Ong Kar Kaur) who made a beautiful video about the 2010 Summer Solstice. She was one of the winners of the 2009 SikhNet Youth Online Film Festival for the senior division.

Her 2008 video was good, but the new video for this year was GREAT. I really liked how she recorded the video in a unique way and put it together. So if you want to get a feel for Summer Solstice, or just want to relive your last solstice experience join in and watch the video.

I did take some pictures on the first and last days of a few events  (My wife doing Bhangra on Peace Prayer Day & Gurdwara/Rensabhai). Other than that I recorded a few audios which you can hear and download in the Gurbani Media center.

There are two new favorites tracks from solstice which is by "Anhad", which is a Malaysian Sikh "Rock" band. I recorded them playing at Summer Solstice during the Rehnsabhai night at like 1:15am. All of us who were awake were feeling the good vibes! I stayed up waiting to hear them and record the audio clips. Hope you enjoy them and give them your support! In the mean time those that missed it can download and listen to the two songs that they sang. I wish their time slot was more than 15 min!

You can listen and download audio from 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

13 Responses to “Summer Solstice 2010”

1. Awesome video Elana….one of the best at capturing Summer Solstice so far (which is no easy task!)

2. Elena is so talented, I loved her last summer solstice video and this fantastic too. I'm so touched, by the end of this video I was crying. So much love. :-)

3. Shanu Kaur says:

Video really summed the experience up beautifully. Even still, it's something you have to go to to really feel the full throttled experience.

4. janice Samuelson says:

Thank you for sharing the Beauty and Grace od Solstice. may the Long Time Sunshine on You…….. Wahe Guru! Blessings, Harimandir Kaur Austin, TX.

5. For me Solstice can only partly be described in words. I can only ever seem to use 'wonderful' and 'amazing' – words that now mean so much more to me. 'Full of wonders' and 'amazed each of my senses and mind'.

Thank you for a great video of such a heart warming and soul feeding experience :) Sat Naam

6. raj inder says:

great….
    i never seen summer solstice look so clean!!!
    sat nam
    raj inder

7. Gurinder Singh says:

Great video, I enjoyed watching it. But, if you know Punjabi the song used at 9:17 detracted me from the beautiful video.

(Putt Sardaran day, khan bakry tay peen sharaban). Translated, singer is singing (Sons of Sardar's eat goats and drink alcohol and dance in the bhangra like royalty)

So I would suggest to the video producer to keep the beat and lose the words :)

8. raghubir says:

Ek Ong Kar is a unique and briliant talent. She has produced videos from the last 4 years all of which are wonderful and capture the essence of the experience.

9. Karan Singh says:

Really awesome video…very inspiring indeed!

i too must however agree with Gurinder Singh…that song left a very sour taste in my mouth. Its a foul and dirty song as are pretty much 95% of all bhangra songs today.

Please be more careful what songs one may use…not only does it have a negative impact on ones own psyche but also on others too.

• mrsikhnet says:

Karan, though the lyrics in that one song are bad, the author of this video doesn't understand Punjabi so was just enjoying the music as music. So for her it doesn't have that negative impression.

• pritam says:

You are right in your own sense Gurmustak Ji. But I believe American sikhs are beacons of light for our brethren in India( myself being one of them) and to manmukhs like me that leaves a negative impression.

10. aangel says: