A Fine Balance

Looks Like the "Incredible India" tourism brand of India is on the move with their latest advertising campaign, and this time using Nihang Sikhs in some of their posters and billboard that I have heard have been showing up all over England.

"The main visual is that of a Nihang Sikh youth
in a demonstration race of the combative spirit and skills that is on show at the Rural Olympics in Punjab. (happens every January)

The more popular image of this demonstration sport is that with an older man. It is a deliberate attempt to have a younger face as a large part of the demography of India is young.

A FINE BALANCE could be literally translated as RIDING TWO HORSES AT THE SAME TIME: reining economic recession and managing economic growth during these times of economic slowdown as well as TRADITION and YOUTH."

12 Responses to “A Fine Balance”

1. jaspinder singh khalsa says:

wahe guru ji nine Side Sikh net

2. sarbjit singh says:

Sorry to sound negative but after killing so many of our brothers and sisters, now this is nothing but is shameless propaganda. For 25 years and no justice came.

This picture looks nice for the tourist but ask a Sikh living in India and it would seem like he was a outcast in his/her own land.

Sarbjit Singh Gill
    Singapore

3. I think we ought to be proud that India is identifying with Nihang Singhs whether or or not the intention is exploitative, it’s good exposure for Sikhs done in a positive and upbeat way.

4. Gursimran Singh says:

I honestly think India will NEVER try to glorify a sikh’s image. Indians are very clever they can pull off jokes without you even noticing. Did you notice one leg has kachera and the other is covered(A Fine Balance ) I know noone likes it someone brings out who conspiracy theories but I can back it up because I know how things are in India (I grew up there). Anyone seeing a Nihung Singh for the first time will notice how he looks.

5. sarbjit singh says:

Thank You Gursimran Singh Ji for your insight. I know i am not alone in this believe that the Hindus in India will never glorify Sikhs for them being Sikhs.

There was a time when a hindu family would make one their child a Sikh as a sign of protection and courage for their family. There was so much mahan for being a Sikh.

6. Gursimran Singh says:

we shudnt say Hindus will never glorify Sikhs. I didn’t blame Hindus. We all know it’s wrong to generalise a group. That would also hurt a good hearted person. I can say I love Hindus. My best friend in India was a Brahmin.

7. Gurjeet Singh says:

I love this, made me proud when I was on my way to the university. As I was waiting for the next bus, I saw this huge poster on my right hand side. Amazing to see the promotion as my own. Now at least the ignorant majority in the West and on this island called England, have a generalised idea of Sikhs or Nihangs or whatever, thats fine with me. I am happy they now see that not all turban wearers come from Afghan or all turban wearers are muslims AND this is a poster of INCREDIBLE INDIA. Educates the ignorant that Sikhs are from India. There are other issues to to reconsider other than the Katchera, this is what it is for, the majority of west does not get to see Singhs wearing a Katchera. Get over it. Enjoy and be content.

8. I have mixed feelings about this. Frankly, I feel I have good cause to doubt the goodwill of India toward Sikhs. I am very suspicious of the motives of the Indian government.

On the other hand, this is a great picture of a strong Nihung Singh. I cannot think of a better image to project.

As for the kechera showing, please, guys, lighten up! They are “warrior’s shorts,” suitable for combat, if necessary. One miri purpose of the kechera is that we are ever ready for battle, even while sleeping. There is nothing scandalous or immodest about the kechera showing. In fact, my kechera form the lower part of my swimsuit when I go swimming and I am much more covered than any other swimmer.

Would it be better to photoshop in the other side of his chola to cover them? :)

9. simran says:

Proud to see a member of Guru’s ladli fauz sada Sohna Nihang Singh (which probably represents less than 1/20 of a percent in India’s Billion plus population to) be a poster boy.
    Vaheguru!

Khalsa is first defined as an embodiment of UNIVERSAL LOVE “Prem Bhagati” per our Gurus before being crowned as the Ruler of the Planet. I am sure anyone who feel an affiliation with Khalsa’s path will like the poster.

If we sow hatred we will reap hatred. If we think in of ourselves in a microcosmic manner we will reap microcosmic results.
    Gurumustuk Veerjee, Thank you (with a big hug)!

10. Sumit says:

@ the first Gursimran Singh: you are quick to criticize India and Indians: who exactly are you criticizing? Please don’t treat such a vast nation as a monolith, and please don’t have the audacity to criticize all Indians. I don’t think Sikhism spews such negativity.
    And finally two words as some food for thought for you: Manmohan Singh.

Have a nice day.

11. Sikh Kara says:

wowww its awosomeeeeeeee

12. A S Bains says:

Although Sikhs will find it difficult to forgive, and should never forget, India no matter what holds a very dear place in my heart. She is the home of my people, the birthplace of my religion, its very soil is holy to me.

Every time I go back, my soul feels shanti, and torn when I leave. We should remember that it was not Hindus that turned against Sikhs, it was the Congress Party – but we should be ready to forgive, otherwise the Krodth will eat you up inside, what remains of the Gandhi dynasty have shown contrition, a Sikh is now prime minister, and I believe that Indians voted for the Congress recently because they saw him as a Sikh, an honourable man, who would stand up for truth and justice.

I think that we forget that those who we now demonise, also saved us.

Many Sikhs were given shelter and protection by the BJP (the Hindu nationalist party). Joyti Basu in West Bengal sent out the state troops to protect Sikhs during the massacres.

Even though it is difficult we should try and see God in everyone, and we will soon learn that no-one is our enemy.