Ocean of Pearls

Ocean of Pearls

I just finished watching a really great new movie called "Ocean of Pearls" which I highly recommend that you all see. This is one of the first professional western movie productions with a Sikh as a lead role in the story. Not only that, but the story of the movie deals with one of the issues that is so common for all of us in Western Countries; Living as a Sikh and standing out. It tells the story of a prominent Sikh Doctor who is struggling with his identity as a Sikh. He feels pressured to fit in and change, in order to "be successful" and achieve certain things with his career. In the end he learns a lesson the hard way and understands what this lifestyle is all about.

A few times in the movie I was very emotionally struck and found myself teary eyed as the story developed and I felt what "Amrit"  (Dr. Singh) was going through. Even though this is a fictitious story it shares a very valuable lesson about why we are Sikhs and wear this outside form. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way to fully understand. So while I don’t think it is necessary to cut your hair to learn this lesson, the good thing is that God gave us hair that grows back.

I have seen a lot of movies and it’s always a joy to see a movie that is not only enjoyable to watch, but is very meaningful.

Congratulations to Dr. Sarabjeet Neelam (The Film Producer) who I remember many years ago talking about his grand vision of making a Hollywood movie with a Sikh as a lead actor. You stuck with your goal in spite of all the challenges and made a great film! Bravo!

The music was so beautiful in the film, featuring original music by Snatam Kaur and Karsh Kale. I hope they release a movie soundtrack!

This was not your standard desi low budget film with mediocre acting. This was probably the first high quality Sikh related film I have seen so far. I hope that you all will watch it and support the film production so that we can have more films like this.

To find out more about the film Ocean of Pearls and find out where you can watch it, head on over to http://www.oceanofpearls.com

13 Responses to “Ocean of Pearls”

1. sukhjit says:

Thank you so much for this review! I’m going to try and see where I can find this film. Truly nice to see content about Sikhs and the issues we face as citizens of the West. Best wishes to you! –sukhjit

2. T.J. Walia says:

Great review. Just saw the trailer and want to see this movie.

It’s nice to see a movie that’s about what we go through everyday. Hopefully it has a valuable lesson for all us Sikhs living in similar environments.

T.J.

3. PREETINDER BIR SINGH BAJWA says:

Seriously i will watch this moviee ,,, but from where i can purchase it ,,

4. While we were watching the movie my 3 year old daughter Charanjeet Kaur just kept asking again and again, “Why did he cut his hair”. We kept trying to explain it in terms she could understand, but she just kept asking it again and again. It was so alien and strange to her. It was interesting to see her reaction and curiosity.

5. GD Kaur says:

I am curious to know what did you tell her to pacify to quest for knowledge?

regards

GD

6. I am really interested in this film as i have been through that phase in life and i think i know how hard it feels if you dont fit it but its about what you feel in your conscience is right & i had to follow that in the end and go back to sikhi

7. Gagandeep says:

Hi,
    I have seen the trailer of this movie on youtube.
    It seems to be a movie worth watching.
    But I cannot find the movie in the Indian market.
    Can you post a link to watch it online or to download it.

Thanks.

8. Aman Singh Chopra says:

Hi!!

I also like to watch that movie but its not available in indian market.
    Can you post a link to watch it online or to download it.

Thanks.

9. Padam Deep Singh says:

I just saw the trailer of the movie “Ocean of Pearls”. The scene of Amrit cutting his hair is like being murdered as a Sikh. Its the first time this has been shown in any movie. I am apprehensive about its affect on young Sikh children. Cutting hair and assimilating in western culture is becoming very common amongst young Sikhs, who have had no exposure to the morals and values of the Sikh faith and who have not understood the colossal strength and truth about life, Sikhism carries hidden within.
    I really hope that in the end the movie does give the utmost important lesson from the Sikh faith, how this life, we have, actually works and the modern society is not modern at all if it is proliferated with negativity and wrong practices against the basic human goodness and beauty of life….

Padam Deep Singh
    Sedney Australia

10. the ‘oceans of pearls’ when i saw the traler of this movie i realy like it i told the all my
    friends about this movie. when i saw a sikh in a hollywood moive in a lead role. i become
    very proud to be a sikh. i want to see the full movie plz send me link to watch this movie

thanks

gurdeep singh

11. Yashneet Singh says:

I came to know about this movie online & i have been trying to find this movie for the last 7 months now. I live in Austria & its hard to find this movie here & i dont have any contacts who can help me out in getting this movie. Kindly tell me if this movie is available online that i can see it, Please !!!

Thanks

Rabb Rakha

Sat Sri akaal.

12. joe says:

i have seen the trailer…so many times…but never had the chance to watch the movie
    i keep avoiding the few seconds where they actually show- how he starts cutting his hair..the very first time- i dont know-but whenever i get to these few seconds- my heart cries….its so shocking…soo….what i am interested in is- obviously…he cuts his beard….but the scene where he cuts his hair- IS THAT HIS REAL HAIR???? *******Please do answer…i am so confused…because if it is his real hair- it will ruin the motivation to watch this movie…do you get me?…..so DOES HE CUT HIS REAL _"REAL" HAIR????
    fatehji

13. Tanveer Singh says:

the actor in the wasn't sikh he was actualy persian so that wasn't his real hair. he was acting to be sikh. I saw this movie and it's actually really good. I am going to buy this movie show to my cousin who is 10 so he could learn about importance of hair in our religion and when he grew up and he would not cut hair.