Celebration of Arriving Souls

This weekend we celebrated the arrival of new souls joining into our community. It seems that the next "wave" of babies are on their way. My friends Guruprakash Kaur and Guru Darbar Singh along with Satmittar Kaur and Satguru Singh are both pregnant and preparing for new children in their families (along with Snatam Kaur who is due soon). Generally on the 120th day of pregnancy we join together and do kirtan and meditate to welcome the soul of the child.

Sat Mittar Kaur and Satguru Singh organized a beautiful rehnsabhai kirtan on this occasion. Yummy Langar, Good sangat, and beautiful kirtan. So Friday night many of us enjoyed hours of Gurbani Kirtan and meditating. There was a mix of shabads from lots of different sangat. With the coming of Guru Ram Das Ji’s Birthday many people sang shabads by Guru Ram Das and others sung in praise of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

It was so nice; my kids even behaved, so I could sit and meditate. I had to check periodically on my son Narayan Singh to make sure he wasn’t doing something mischievous.  It’s normally only a matter of time if I don’t keep watch on him like a hawk. Part way through the night I didn’t see him around anywhere so headed to my office to look for him (The SikhNet office which is part of the Gurdwara building). Lo-and-behold, there he was with his friend Sahib Singh playing pinball on the computer. This wouldn’t normally be such an issue, but it so happened that the computer he was playing on was the same computer that was broadcasting live online and recording the kirtan going on! The next day I heard from my wife who said she was sleeping to the Kirtan when she heard these "scary loud banging, electronic sounds". I told her that it was the sound of Narayan playing pinball at the office. Hahaha. One has to laugh at these things. I was just listening to the recording and the pinball sounds were SOOO LOUD. I guess it was meant to wake people up. DING>>>DING!

Anyways….here are some of my picks from the Rehnsabhai Kirtan. Thank you Sat Guru Singh and Sat Mittar Kaur for organizing this, and to those who played kirtan so lovingly!

Snatam Kaur – Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji
Snatam Kaur is still out and about singing. She herself is also pregnant, but much closer to her due date! She sang this wonderful tribute to the Siri Guru Granth Sahib (Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji). It reminded me of a similar named track from an album titled Tribute to Mardana. (Tej Kaur from Vancouver singing backup vocals)

Download

Hari Bhajan Kaur – Bhan Jamiyai Bhan Nimeeyai
This shabad is a beaituful tribute to Women, by Guru Nanak Dev Ji.

Download

Tej Kaur – Guru Guru Waheguru / Mera Man Loche
It was great to have Tej Kaur here again visiting from Vancouver, Canada. She sings so beautifully with so much love. Have a listen.

Download

Avtar Singh – Guru Ram Das
The well known Avtar Singh plays music with his own style. He sings everything in a blues style and is quite unique and energetic. He is Siri Chand and Lakhmi Chand Singh’s father. I allways feel great when I hear him sing!

Download

Satguru Singh – We All Come From One Creator
I was surpised to hear Satguru Singh play music. We used to work together at SikhNet for many years and I have never heard him play anything musical so when I heard him jamming out it was great! He sang the last time slot at about 3:30AM in the morning. GO SATGURU! Keep it coing! (I think you can hear his kids in the very beginning saying "oww! oww! and other baby sounds")

Download

Avtar Singh – All Things Come From God

Download

10 Responses to “Celebration of Arriving Souls”

1. Harpal Singh says:

Wjkk Wjkf,
    WOW!!!  Guru Kirpa!! Yor rensabhai program seems to be completely fantastic. May SatGuruGranth Sahib Ji give you all every happiness and keep you all on his righteous path.

Wjkk Wjkf

2. Kaur says:

Just wish that we had some prior intimation of the live online broadcast.
    It would be a great seva to the online sangat if we get some information about upcoming programs that are to be broadcast live on sikhnet, (maybe like on Guru Ramdass Ji’s Gurpurab, and the 300 sala Gurta Gaddi Divas) including dates and times.

3. Kaur, I sometimes post things on my blog if there is something happening. However in general, you can tune in to the Gurdwara every sunday at: http://fateh.sikhnet.com/s/SundayGurdwara (Also linked to on the SikhNet Radio page: http://www.sikhnet.com/radio – channel 12)

Thursday Morning Sadhana, Oct. 9th, we will begin chanting Dhan Dhan Ram Das Guru at 4:00am USA (Mountain Time) for 2 1/2 hours in the Gurdwara.

Thursday Oct. 9th, 6PM USA (Mountain Time), there will be Gurdwara honoring Guru Ram Das.

4. Sohan Kaur says:

Beautiful!  Thank you for posting

5. Dear Bhai Jee, dear sangat in Espanola

it brings tears of joy into my eyes to see that you are so able and willing to celebrate with Guru Jee’s Kirpa things like this.
    Here in the UK it seems like Gurdwara Committees are not interested or willing to stray apart a bit from trotted paths and do something which just celebrates Guru Jee’s Creation and Wisdom – the Wonders and Joys of Life. “Joys”, oh Waheguru, speaking of “joy” in itself seems to be sacrilegeous, because as Amriththarijs we have to be sincere and serious.

I am enjoying the Shabadhs and even the tears they jerk into my eyes.

Please keep the good work of letting us take part in this, even when we are so far away and it starts to become more and more obvious that circumstances will prevent us from meeting in person in the following years.

Keep The Love,

Jagbeer Singh Khalsa

6. Kaur says:

A million thanks. We shall definately join you (online) to meditate on Guru Ram Dass Ji’s Gurpurab.

7. sarbjit singh gill says:

Greetings everybody

i am just curious as to why the 120 day thing to welcome the soul?
    i have not heard your reply yet but this sure seems like a Hindu way, from where our Gurus had liberated us. It seems some confusion about the concept of soul’. Do you think it as a spirit thing which joins the unborn child after 120 days? How did the babies survive in the days before that ? If we read from our Guru, the Guru Granth Sahib, we would understand the Guru’s scientific concepts……………!

I read this fantastic comment from a Sikh forums once.
    As stated in Gurbani, the body is formed of elements and instilled with Jyot, which origniate from Ek-Onkar or Akal Purukh or Parmesar or Nirankar, as one may prefer to call. On end of any particular life of a human, the Jyot re-merges with the Source ( Akal Purukh or Ek-Onkar etc.) and the physical body made up of elements disintegrates to re-merge with the similar elements in environment. Whether on calls the Jyot, as stated in Gurmat, Soul or Atma, is another matter, but it MUST not be confused with commonly understood mythological form of Soul, which is believed to move from one life body to another and at times it is also believed to be without a body, when some believe it beomes a Ghost.

Thus, let us restrict this name to Jyot, as is stated in Gurbani and avoid use of Soul in relation to Sikh beliefs, as per Gurmat.

One has to first grasp the concept of Akal Purukh or Ek – Onkar or Nirankar or Parmatma or Parmesar. For this one has to stay focused on the defination of Ek – Onkar at the start of Gurbani in SGGS, which is Ominpresent and Formless. This clearly expresses Its existance in the immediate envronment of us all. Thus on end of one life form the Jyot merges back with the Ek -Onkar, present in its immediate vicinity and the body of course with the source elements in the earth and atmosphere.

8. Canuck says:

That is a delightfully interesting thing that can only remind me of the innocence of childhood.

9. Sarabjot Kaur says:

I love receiving these recordings-so beautiful! Do you happen to have any more from Tej Kaur? Her voice has such resonance…
    thanks!

10. KW says:

Bringing a new soul into the world is the most amazing thing in the world and the task of the highest responsibility. It is indeed an act to celebrate. It appears that women understand the gravity of this task, but I want to hear what Men think about the prospect of fatherhood. Do men look forward to fatherhood as much as women do to motherhood?