The Physiological Effect of Reciting Gurbani

Meditation

Shakti Parwha Kaur and Sikh Dharma International have been working hard on a much needed book about Sikh Dharma. This book is to serve the need of the growing number of people (not from Indian origin) who want to get a better understanding about Sikhi. Last week alone I got four emails from people asking about how they can become a Sikh and various questions related to living this lifestyle! Many people start by practicing Kundalini Yoga and see the many Sikh teachers with turbans on without knowing very much about this lifestyle. They chant various mantras from Gurbani and want to know more. This book is will help serve the growing need of those people that are new to Sikh Dharma and interested in incorporating this lifestyle into their life. Of course this book will also be a huge gem to many people within the Sikh community as well because it is presented in a very unique way and is not your typical preachy/scholarly/history book on Sikhi. The book is very modern in the way the content is presented using stories and people’s experiences of living this lifestyle as well as teaching the basics.

Here are a few excerpts from the draft book from the chapter "Science of Sound" that I thought would be interesting for you all. When the book is released you’ll be sure to hear about it on SikhNet :)

THE PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECT OF RECITING GURBANI

There are eighty-four meridian points on the upper palate of the human mouth. One can feel that upper palate with the tongue and experience its different surfaces. There are two rows of meridian points on the upper palate and on the gum behind the upper teeth. The tongue stimulates those meridian points, and they in turn stimulate the hypothalamus which makes the pineal gland radiate. People talk about the pineal gland secreting, but secreting hormones is only part of the story. The pineal gland is also sensitive to light. The great Chinese sage, Lao Tzu, called it “the gateway to heaven and earth.”

When the pineal gland radiates, it creates an impulse in the pituitary gland. When the pituitary gland gives impulses, the entire glandular system secretes and a human being obtains bliss. This is the science.

The whole language of Gurbani has the power to make a person divine simply by reciting it correctly. One need not be concerned with its meaning in order to experience a change in consciousness. Banihas to be understood by the heart, not by the head. There is no power in the head. It is in the heart. The head is for God and the heart is for you. That is why on that historic Baisakhi day in 1699, Guru Gobind Singh asked for the head, and not for the heart. Whosoever lives with head to God and heart for self, that prayer is complete. The entire Siri Guru Granth Sahib is the calling of the lover for the Beloved. It is in naad.”

EXPERIENCING AND UNDERSTANDING GURBANI

“The Guru’s Word (Gurbani) is what the Guru spoke. It is the imprint of the essence of God. It is the pathway to God. If the ordinary human being speaks it, it will always elevate him to that state of consciousness of the Guru. The Guru’s consciousness is united with God, so the person will automatically get united with God if he speaks the same words. It is a scientific and direct way to unite the finite with the Infinite Consciousness. The hypothalamus will get the same tingling. The impulses of the pituitary will function the same way and get the other glands to secrete also in the same way as it was in the body of Guru Nanak.

“Gurbani is nothing but a total illustrated, facilitated science of naad for human knowledge. It is an individual effort. Read Gurbani in the way Guru says it, and understand it, and you will be in such ecstasy you will not believe it! Concentration on the construction of the word, and the sound is the proper way to recite Gurbani. As you are creating the sound, the meaning will automatically come to you, now or later. It is just a matter of time and space. You must listen to your own construction of the Gurbani. This is the technical way in Naad Yoga.”

“There are two ways to go about understanding Gurbani. The first is to know the meaning through purposeful study; and the second is to recite it, and you will automatically understand the meaning intuitively. Gurbani has to be recited with the tongue, through japa. But, when you read meditatively for the purpose of understanding the meaning, it is okay.

Daily Recitation Of Guru’s Bani
 “I am trying to illustrate to you that after a certain age in life, if you do not have nitnem and sadhana, then you will not churn yourself. When milk is churned, it takes a lot of milk to make a little butter. As milk has to be churned to make butter, life has to be churned. Gurbani works to churn the brainwaves through the hypothalamus. You need not be a Sikh. In India, for example, there are a lot of Hindus and Muslims who recite Gurbani. Gurbani is for a person who wants to be graceful, a person who wants to be balanced, and a person who wants to do things by their radiance. A person’s presence alone should see the job done."

27 Responses to “The Physiological Effect of Reciting Gurbani”

1. Gurumustuk Ji

Thank you for this wonderful book. I am eagerly waiting for this book.  Like water quenches thirst even if we don't know its water and whosoever drinks it, similarly Gurbani is nector of God, whosoever reads and listens to it, get bliss. I am also trying to write some posts to educate about Sikhi at <a href="http://www.gurukhalsa.org. ” target=”_blank”>www.gurukhalsa.org.  Lets bring peace, happiness and bliss in this world with our small efforts.  Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

2. shanu says:

Satnam,
    Waheguru! Can’t wait to read the rest of this book, it’s so wonderfully written and simple to understand; what GREAT seva!

3. manvir singh says:

"Last week alone I got four emails from people asking about how they can become a Sikh and various questions related to living this lifestyle!" – This has been the situation on the Sikhnet discussion boards as well. PERHAPS a portion on the website can be dedicated towards Sikh or Spiritual Seekers, I kind of what’s what about Sikhism for people who have not had any interaction with it previously. This I believe could be an important all encompassing portion of the site that many would be referred to, and it should contain relevant information regarding ALL aspects of Sikh faith and practices, but most importantly being practical for those who SEEK Sikhism. — Look forward to seeing the fully published print. Gurfateh.

4. ujjal says:

very relevant indeed. The book is as much for Indian Sikhs. With Guru blessing there are occasions when a state of sublime happiness is reached but these are rare. Ihave taken the liberty of taking a  leaf out of the  above para for my only child a daughter who to my dismay is slipping .To her Dale Carnegie can provide the answer. I relate to her very wellon the intellectual plane but her mental gyro has drifted and she has also cut her hair. Iwonder how to get her onto the true north. These write ups will help. I have also taken Gurumustuk s referance on anger management .Thanks

5. Christine says:

Am so glad to hear about this book! Look forward to it!

6. Harvinder Singh says:

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!

Great article and i totally respect what you guys are doing on sikhnet. I do believe that reciting gurbani is the greatest science and divine knowledge is obtained. I think that our guru is the guru granth sahib and the key to understanding the granth is from sant’s. Sant’s tell us that reciting simran or gurbani by the tongue is just the first level. Once you’ve mastered this you should recite it with the mind. Reciting gurbani in the mind develops your simran greatly. Its all about samadhi people. This is the second level. The next level is to use each breath in your body to recite. Saas gras simran. Then you find a time that when having a conversation with another person, the simran is still actually vibrating in your body and destroying all your millions of sins. Take amrit and believe in sant’s _truth). There is no difference between saint and god, only that god is born. Live you life like a sikh lion. Fateh 2 guru!!!

7. Harvinder Singh says:

ooopps, sorry sangat ji. Made a mistake in my last post. I meant to say that god is unborn and a sant takes birth. Waheguruu

8. Navpreet Kaur says:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
    Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
     I’m glad that someone has published a book about this topic, because it has been on my mind for some time.
    I had one question. Is it better to read Gurbani out loud or can you read it in your head. For me, when I’m reading JapJi Sahib, it’s easier for me to pay attention if I read it in my head, because it forces all of the other thoughts out. But if you want to stimulate your brain, as according to your article, you would have to read it out loud. I was just wondering what the most effective way to read bani is.

9. manvir singh says:

I personally feel that the brain has multiple levels of conscious/subconscious ‘thought’. Although you may speak the words, be reading the words intently and consciously, one’s mind can be in an entirely different place subconsciously thinking many other thoughts concomitantly. This is a dual problem, that what we do consciously may become a habit, and our subconscious comes back into play. To be able to focus on being conscious, and suppressing the subconscious requires much skill indeed. For this reason it is probably best to implement a variety of recitations to best tune the mind, body, soul, conscious, subconscious. In the background simple mantra of single word may be useful, while you are consciouly reading aloud or within your ‘head’ Gurbani. This way at least if you are distracted then at least ‘Waheguru’ is the background backup. Additionally it is possibly useful to try to read ‘new’ portions of Gurbani each day, such as the Hukamnama. The brain has to work towards learning new things, so habitual patterns are dropped (such as mind-drifting, but not repetition of Mantra).  Finally these words are quite useful: "If you wish to talk to me, read from my pages, if you wish to hear me, listen to my pages being read, if you wish to be with me, serve the needy." – ? source unknown.

10. projectnaad says:

very much looking forward to this book being published!

projectnaad

11. Paramjot Singh says:

Sat Nam! Will you please announce to the blog when the book is published with details on how to purchase it? Any pre-orders? I’m sure people will buy it hot off the presses!

12. Navpreet Kaur says:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
    Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
    Thanks Manvir Singh for the advice, it helps a lot:)

13. Aaron says:

When can we expect it to be released in Canada?

14. Devakaur says:

Sat nam, I used to be able to forward these posts by email, but am not finding a way to do it now. Has theat changed witht the new formatting?

Thx Ji

Deva K.

15. molly says:

Gurmastak ji,                     Guru Fateh,Just by reading your article, my mind is feeling kind of satiated & in a blissful state.Many people were recommending that i should consult a Gurbani Teeka to understand Gurbani but somehow i always felt that my Guru will guide me the best and enable me to understand the meaning my soul needs to know & learn.                         Another thing i wanna share is what my father taught us as children is that to control the thought process while reciting gurbani is to change the speed,tone & volume to keep the mind alert & present, just like an alert driver changes gears to remain alert & conscious  and not to dose-off . I think for beginners it becomes easy to concentrate and remain present while reciting Gurbani to chant with tongue and then with breath alternatively.I look forward to reading the entire book which i am sure is gonna be very enlightening.MANY THANKS.GURU RAKHA.

16. shanu says:

Satnaam,
    I find that Gurbani has powers like magic. It not only stimulates but it heals. If I read Gurbani aloud I’m not just benefitting myself but those around me. My family do not read Gurbani etc. or practice Sikhi but they pay respect when I read it. I find that a busy and rowdy household tends to quiet and calm down, they get a lot more peaceful towards eachother and generally happier.

17. Dalvinder Kaur says:

Just wondering wen this book will be published .Cant wait to read it .Even though I am a sikh but I really do need to have it .

18. Guruka Singh says:

I’m glad to hear that you are looking forward to reading the book. We’re looking at autumn of 2008 for publication.

…..G

19. Jagwinder Singh Sidhu, Principal HEadway School, Edmonton, Alberta says:

“This book is to serve the need of the growing number of people (not from Indian origin) who want to get a better understanding about Sikhi.”

I hope that you guys are not casting us Non Dharma Sikhs out!:(
    Sikh Dharma Sikhs are  my heroes. I watch anything they do because they are my future and hope. Keepup the good work!

20. Kishan says:

Satnam Waheguru! I have no words to explain what i have just read. Thank you because this little information that i have read has made a big change in this little head of mine. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of this book. I live in Malaysia, will i be able to get this shipped across the seas? thank you, waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

21. Kush says:

I would just like to say Sikh Net is doing great work, I’ve been watching your features through the new Asia Net channel in the UK, and have started to take an interest in your articles on this website, as well as your downloads.  Looking forward to publication of the book, keep up the great work you are doing.

22. Dilshad says:

Hello, The Gurbani, SGGS, Shri Guru Granth Sahib, holds tremendous powers, even science has proved and confirmed it holds power. Saying it by meditation cures several problems.  my email:  [email protected]

23. satinder singh says:

BANI GURU GURU HAI BANI,VICH BANI AMRIT SARE,
    GURBANI KAHE SEVAK JAAN MANE
    PARTHAK GURU NISTERAY

24. Parminder says:

Hi

It sounds really interesting but I am still a little confused about the running theme of the whole book. Is it possible to see an index and what it will cover.

This might be something I have been privately asking for, for years.

25. kaur says:

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
    thank you so much for sharing! these kind of articles are always a treat.

26. rasleen says:

wgkk wgkf ……i have a suggestion…if you are going for a book just try putting the idea in the context the way chicken soup series of books for teenagers was written…… i mean making it easier to understand through real life and original examples……anyways you guys are doing a great job….lukin forward towards the book..:)