Miri Piri Academy Leads Gatka Camp in New Delhi

[photopress:Library___320.jpg,full,centered]

"Miri Piri Academy, being the only school whose curriculum includes a step-by-step certification program of the Sikh martial art, Gatka, was invited to New Delhi to instruct kids of ages of 10-17. Hosted by the Siri Guru Harkrishan Public School, around 300 students from different schools attended the three-day course (April 24 – 26) organized and run by students of Miri Piri Acadmey. This was headed up by Jugat Guru Singh, Sadasat Simran Singh, and Harimandirjot Singh of Chardikala Jatha who expressed that they have not experienced such an enthusiastic and heartfelt response in all the camps they have taught.

Throughout the camp, our group taught various fundamental exercises and concepts that create the foundation of the art of Gatka as a whole. They began each day with an invocation Ardaas, followed by stretches and exercises, then 31 minutes of 4-step pantra to Jaap Sahib. Some of the techniques included in the camp curriculum were a variety of stretches, strengthening exercises (sarab dundes, squats, hand-to-hand partner exercises), Pantra, and stick work (both freestyle and shoulder-shoulder sparring). Each MPA student, heading a group of 15 to 20 kids, was given the opportunity to instruct and teach every person on a more personal level and was able to deliver the techniques more efficiently. To end each 5-hour-day, a meditation was lead by MPA where the school courtyard was filled with the booming voices of around 300 inspired kids chanting to Wahe Guru Wahe Guru Wahe Jio.

Our volunteer students from Miri Piri Academy were very successful in delivering a large curriculum to hundreds of eager-to-learn kids in such a short time. Not only did they teach wonderfully, they also built strong relationships and developed many friendships. Our kids were honored to teach Gatka and humbly offer what we learn here at MPA to other schools around India. We hope that these relationships continue to grow and prosper as we continue to teach and build new bridges from our culture to theirs."

[photopress:Library___207.jpg,full,centered]

[photopress:Library___154.jpg,full,centered]

[photopress:Library___069.jpg,full,centered]

[photopress:Library___100.jpg,full,centered]

[photopress:Library___142.jpg,full,centered]

[photopress:Library___170.jpg,full,centered]

[photopress:Library___185.jpg,full,centered]

[photopress:Library___286.jpg,full,centered]

31 Responses to “Miri Piri Academy Leads Gatka Camp in New Delhi”

1. Pritpal Singh says:

These young Gursikh Gatkha teachers inspire our youth. PERFECT ROLE MODELS.

2. Sumandeep Singh says:

Wjkf
    Wjkf,

Thank you for this post. This take me back to my GHPS (Punjabibagh) days when I was in school there. It bring a smile to my face to see these kids getting in touch with Sikhi, especially when all you hear is some bad news about kids cutting their hair or the drugs problem in Punjab. I think that if we truly understand the message that is give to us by our gurus about what Sikhism really is, then all of these problem we as a community are facing will disappear. Again, Thanks for the a great post and the memories of good old GHPS.

Sumandeep Singh

3. Manjit Singh says:

This is awesome! MPA guys are true role models for future Sikhs to come.

4. Gurjeet Singh says:

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh !

“Miri Piri Academy Leads Gatka Camp in MUMBAI”

This shall happen someday soon.

5. subeg singh says:

bravo! very good congratulation to all of you.

6. Tiger Pai Hu Seng says:

Though I am not a Sikh, as I follow the Dao of Shaolin, I have much admiration and respect for both the faith and the Sacred Scriptures of the Sikhs. In this religion I find kindred spirits to my own love for Almighty God, which is why I have spent many hours throughout the years in the Gurudwaras meditating on my Creator as I find it a place of true serenity. It is so very wonderful that this faith has the means to educate it’s youth on the importance of self defence and dicipline, as is most prevalent with Gatka. I also spend much time teaching Shaolin Kung Fu to troubled youth, and the effects thereof are most positive. In this uncertain world we now live in, it is of the utmost importance that we assist our youth, who hold our future, in maintaining a noble direction, and among the many ways to acheive this is through physical and mental training that is no doubt found in Gatka, as it is found in Kung Fu. To read stories such as these brings warmth to my heart, and I can only pray that it will be a light and an example for those of other faiths to follow. May Almighty God continue to Bless you in all your efforts, and may Almighty God grant you never ending success.

Your friend;

Tiger Pai Hu Seng.

7. Inni Kaur says:

Gurumustuk:
    I was in Amritsar this March for the first time. The experience was over-whelming that I am still trying to process all that I experienced – the serenity, the love, the Oneness.
    But what I wanted to share with you is what I witnessed on the streets near Darbar Sahib. It was evening – I believe a Wednesday evening and on the streets were the children from the Miri Piri Academy dressed in blue – they stood out like jewels – my companion asked me as to who these children were – and even before I could answer – the shop-keepers jumped in on our private conversation and proceed to tell us – “these are children have come from very far to study in Amritsar. But now they are our children and we love them very much.” I listened as they went on and on about the children – the pride in their voices, the joy of having the children on the streets of Amritsar was apparent. I felt that the presence of these children raised the consciousness of the people. Then my mind drifted – I too was in a boarding school and when I went into town, my presence did not raise anyone’s consciousness.
    But there is one more thing I want to add – the mother in me shuddered “Do the mother’s of these children know that they are eating on the streets of Amritsar?”

PS.
    I met your brother at Delhi airport and went up to him and asked him “are you Gurumustuk’s brother” and he said yes – and I hugged him and kissed him on his cheek (not the kind that would cause the riot that Richard Geer can caused). So if you are wondering who was the woman who kissed my brother – It is I.”

Guru ang sung Gurumustuk – Guru ang sung

8. Dear Inni Kaur ji – as the mother of one of those “jewels” I thank you very deeply for your story. It really lifted my heart to read the comments of the shopkeepers, and your own story. And no, we probably don’t WANT to know what they’re eating when they go to town, haha! We are just blessed that in general they come home healthy, happy, and holy :-)

Wahe Guru,
    Gurukarm Kaur

9. NPS SAINI says:

WAHEGURUJI KA KHALSA, WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

KUDOS. I DO SEE A REVIVAL OF SIKH MARTIAL ART – GATKA. ON ONE SIDE IT TEACHES SELF DEFENCE AND ON THE OTHER IT INCULCATES SPIRITUALITY. WE MUST JOIN OUR YOUNGER GENERATION WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL GIFT OF OUR GURUS.

10. BIKRAM SINGH says:

SOME TIMES I FEEL AND TRYING TO SEE SIKHISM FAR BEYOND MANY YEARS, AND REALISING THAT IT IS THE MOST PUREST
    FORM OF THE HUMAN DECIPLINS AND WILL GROW AND SPREAD BY THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY STUDIED IT AND MINDFULLY ADOPTED IT NOT JUST BORN IN SIKH FAMILIES. CONSIDERING WHICH HEIGHTS THE SIKHISM IS IN PUNJAB AT THE MOMENT,
    WHERE MAXIMUM PERCENTAGE IS, AS BORN IN SIKH FAMILIES. GURUPYAREO PLESE KEEP AND SPREAD THIS UP NOT JUST TO RAISE THE NUMBERS OF SIKHS IN THE WORLD BUT FOR THE BETTERMENT AND UPLIFT INTO THE HUMANS.
    BIKRAMSINGH

11. parmjeet singh maan says:

ssa to all

thats great event in ghps tilak nagar. lot of people inspired from this camp. i m vice chairman of ghps nanak pio . i reqeast can we have this camp in our school??

12. Mandeep Kaur says:

WAHEGURUJI KA KHALSA, WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Can I request a camp in New York?

13. sukhmeet kaur says:

Waheguruji ka Khalsa Waheguruji ki Fateh
    i am sooooo happy to see the progress and awareness being made by MPA. its a big achievement. my son studies it Ghps Vasant Vihar Branch. i would love to see my son recieving such a training. Will there be more camps to spread such awareness in our kids and learning the importance of sikh religion? when the minds are young the impression left on them is everlasting.

A request from a mother

14. Harmeet Singh says:

I would like to request a camp in Toronto. I really look forward to be a part of this inspirational movement.

15. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa |
    Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh ||

Where do you get these wonderful chola dress stiched in India? Any specific tailors or any one can stitch them..I like this dress very much and lately thinking of getting a couple of them in white & blue colours.

How about dumala turban cloth? Is it like normal turban cloth or some special cloth… There has to be a keski tied underneath the dumala always it seems…

I feel one looks really cool in dumala & chola dress and hopefully if I am liking it, there must be loads out there wanting to be dressed like these singhs & singhnies.

My home town is Jammu in India and it seems Sikhs there are not very well connected to the rest of the world on these latest trends & information…any educational camps in proposal for the people of Jammu!!!!

All the best & keep up the good work.

Satsriakal

16. S Bachanj Jeet Singh says:

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
    It is good to see that the Miri Piri Academy giving training to Sikh youths in Gatka.
    I through Sikhnet request that such Gatka trainig should be imparted to the sikh youths in different parts of the country.
    In Hyderabad where I reside, there are about 20 Sikh Gurudwaras with 75,000 to one lakhs sikh population.
    Many are interested to learn Gatka. In this connection, the Miri Academy should take inititiave and help Sikh youth generation learn about Gatka techniques.
    Thanking you.
    S Bachan Jeet Singh

17. kirpal singh says:

I would like to request a yoga camp in calgary.

18. mandeep singh bains says:

Hats off to u guys.

19. paramjit kaur says:

Hi i am a mother of 11th year son and he is studying at Akal Academy, Sirmour (H.P.)last three years. I will be greatful if ur celebrate this function at his hostel. What is full address of your miri piri school. How we contact u.

20. KSingh says:

The requests for a Gatka camp should probably be addressed to the Miri Piri Academy itself and not to Mr.Sikhnet, unless he’s agreed to forward them on (though I didn’t see that in the post).

Also, I know that in Mumbai there is in fact a Gatka competition that is held yearly. I picked up some information on it when I was in Mumbai a couple of years ago.

In Greater Toronto, you can learn Gatka at Gurdwara Jot Parkash (on Sun Pac Road, Brampton) on Sundays in the evening around 1830hrs. There are lots of young kids and then the older folks practice after the youngsters are done their practicing.

Best Regards,
    K

21. Akbar Hussain says:

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Dear Sir,

i am a muslim i live in mumbai i have a intrest in learn gatka akhara. so sir where in mumbai i learn gatk

22. Gurjeet Singh says:

Bhai Akbar Hussain,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I am from Bombay, for further info you can contact me on [email protected]

23. AMAN says:

I am not attending a sikh school but i am interested to learn gatka i want to know that are any camps organisied for a me.
    GHPS(karol bagh) is near my house so, if your group is giving any gatka classes there in winter/summer vacation then kindly inform me.

24. ankit shah says:

I am not a Sikh but I wish to learn gatka .I am in Mumbai.are there any seminars or classes in Mumbai .please let me know

25. Abhishek Saini says:

Hi,
    I live in Australia and i would like to find out information about my old school Guru Harkrishan Public School India Gate, New Delhi. Could u possibly help me get some information about my old friends Arpit Jain,Sagar and Rajat Chawla if u could then please reply.
    Thank You.

26. Abhishek Saini says:

If anyone has any information please contact me on
    [email protected]

27. satyasingh says:

wow looks great.
    here are a few pix from the european gatka-camp with the hole families:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157601723759925
    This year: http://www.gatka.de/CAMP.htm
    sat nam
    satya singh

28. sikh martial art academy ludhiana pb says:

wgjkkwgjkf
                   veer   ji    u r  doing a good job  for t sikh panth
                                                                 matharoo

29. Harvinder Singh says:

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA
    WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

pls. come at Indore for the similar camp………………………..

Miri Piri Academy Leads Gatka Camp in Indore

30. Ankita Mehta says:

It was a great expirience there. Still missing those three days at G.H.P.S, Tilak Nagar. I am Ankita from G.H.P.S, Karol bagh. i am sending this message on behalf of my team.i remember our trainer sunderta(jessica meismam) she is really sweet………..

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA
    WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

31. Maria Satkewal says:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !
    Wahe Guru