Guru Ram Das Lullaby

I remember the many nights when I was a kid that my mother played the "Guru Ram Das Lullabye" with her guitar as I drifted off to sleep. This is a beautiful lullabye which is from the 1970s…and is one that I now sing to my children. The following recording is by Gurushabd Singh and Sat Kartar Kaur from 1978. Hopefully you and your children enjoy it as I do. It’s a great one to put the kids off to sleep.

Download

I did my best to type of the words from the recording. Here are the main lines:

Close your eyes, it’s the end of another busy day. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of other children slept this way, with Guru Ram Das to pretect them, keep them safe all through the night.

Oh…..Dhan Dhan Guru Ram Das, Rakho Saharanai.
Meditate on Guru Nanak, may you love God with his clarity.
Meditate on Guru Angad, may devotion fill your heart and set you free.
Meditate on Guru Amardas, let none leave your house unfulfilled.
Meditate on Guru Ram Das, Your prayers will heal the weak and the ill.
Meditate on Guru Arjan, his poem is a jewel beyond all words.
Meditate on Guru Hargobind, You’ll find God on heaven and on earth.
Meditate on Guru Har Rai, God and you shall never be apart.
Meditate on Guru Harkrishan, his sacrifice brings compassion to you heart.
Meditate on Guru Teg Bahadhur, no enemy will disturb your inner peace.
Meditate on Guru Gobind Singh, defend truth till your soul is released.
Siri Guru Granth Sahib, may Gurbani be the love of this child’s life. May it fill their hearts with wisdom and courage to bear the test of the time.

23 Responses to “Guru Ram Das Lullaby”

1. Devinder Singh says:

fantastic … composition ….. we can call it a Theme ..

2. Antonia D'Onofrio says:

The lullaby expresses how much the Sikh path is one of emotional and spiritual safety. How good that is for children, and for the “grown-ups”.

3. Simrit Kaur says:

Gurumustuk Singh,
    Thank you for bringing the fruits of the path for all to experience.

4. Amitoj, thanks for sharing. That’s totally cool. I didn’t know that the wider Sikh community had even heard of this old Lullabye song.

5. Jaswant Kaur says:

Another way to sing the lullabye is in the morning. “Open your eyes, it’s the start of another busy day. I would’nt be surprised if a lot of other children woke this way. With Guru Ram Das to protect you, keep you safe all through the day…” It’s perfect right before Asa Di Vaar :)

6. Gurjit Kaur says:

The Lullaby is just do beautiful, i shall definelty be playing this with my son and singing along. Thank You for sharing something so beautiful.

7. Someone directed me to your site and I found the recording of the Guru Ram Das Lullaby. My name is Stephen Josephs, FKA Gurushabd Singh, and I wrote/received the words and music to the lullaby. At the time, my wife and I were the living at Guru Ram Das Ashram in Montague, Massachusetts. After the birth of our son I prayed to Guru Ram Das that the children needed a song. Just as I finished the prayer, I picked up my guitar and spontaneously played the music to the lullaby. The words came a couple of days later. I'm happy that others still enjoy it and sing it to their children.

• Jot Singh says:

Hey there

I enjoy the lullaby still very much. How is life treating you sir? Looks like you posted on SIkhnet over 3 years ago. Blessings to you and yours, JSK

• ccw says:

I would love it you could post the guitar chords and if you have the notes for the melody or know where I could find them. thank you ccw

8. anoop says:

wt is the tabs to the song on guitar? my email is [email protected]

9. kiranpreet chawla says:

Thank You!!!!! I have searched for the words to this lullaby for almost 5 years. I have been singing this lullaby since I have been 3 years old in the Philadelphia Ashram. I will download this and share this with my family.

10. Charan Kaur says:

Thanks so much for posting this.

I heard it last year. It was played during the very last meditation at White Tantric, in which Yogi Bhajan instructed us (on the DVD) to ‘go to sleep”. It was just a beautiful way to end the Tantric.

11. Jasmine says:

I have been thinking about this lullaby for days now and I kept humming the tune in the back of my mind. I decided today that I would do a search for it and “voila”..here it is. Thank you so much for posting this online.

12. Satwinder Singh (Canada) says:

Wow, I love it dearly…

May Waheguru Bless You :)

13. Sujan S. says:

So sweet and deep…I'm not a Sikh but the spiritual message of this lullaby really tocuhed my heart!

If you agree, I'd like to share it in a website I made with some friends.

Thank you again for sharing!

14. Kuljeet Kaur says:

This is so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing!

15. Gurufateh says:

Sat Nam – thank you Stephen Jospehs – Gurushabad for writing this beautiful lullaby and for telling us the history. I too sang it to my son Himmat who is now 21! Thank you also for writing so many other wonderful meditative and funny songs. I remember you well and the many times you and others played music at Solstice.
    Many Blessings.

16. Gurubachan Kaur says:

I always sang this beautiful song to my kids every night after reading Kirtan Sohila & they to loved it. I am so happy to Gurumustuk that you wrote the words because I have forgotten some parts & now I sing it to my grandchildren & they love it.

Thank you Stephen Josephs for this most beautiful song that makes all our kids feel peaceful when they go to sleep. I will translate it in Spanish so everyone in South America & Mexico will sing it to their kids too. You have left a legacy. Hope you, Alice & Sat Narayan are doing well.

.(just a note) Siri Singh Sahib said if you read Kirtan Sohila every night to your kids or even to yourself there wont' be bad dreams.

17. HAUR KAUR says:

I WAS 7 YEARS OLD WHEN WE SING THAT SONG … WE WERE IN MEXICO IN THE ASHRAM WITH BABA JI .. WHAT A MEMORIES ! THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

SAT NAM

18. Janine says:

thank you so much :-) this version is so beautiful …

sat nam

19. Jasjit Kaur says:

Thanks for sharing it , its awesome!!
    My child sleeps peacefully listening to this magical lullaby.
    Thanks once again….

20. Theresa Maher says:

I am Buddhist but I listen to all kinds of music from all different cultures and I discovered this beautiful lullaby recently, whilst listening to a Snatan kaur album (I love her voice and music, it has helped me through a very difficult time recently)

It is so beautiful, it brings me to tears every time I hear it, my daughter is 16 now, but if she was only a baby I would most definitely sing this to her every night…. Thank you for posting the lyrics, it has helped me with the pronunciation of some of the names.

Namaste