Sadhana – Video Lecture by Yogi Bhajan

To continue on the theme of “Sadhana” I am posting a video by Siri Singh Sahib Bhai Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa (AKA: Yogi Bhajan). This video is an excerpt from the DVD “Discover Your Soul“. It is from December 21st 1993 at the Winter Solstice Camp in Florida. The DVD is a full lecture and meditation class taught by Yogi Bhajan, so this video is just a part of it. If you enjoy the video I highly recommend that you get a copy of the DVDs which has the full lecture and the meditations that were taught.

In this video he talks about the concept of Sadhana and why we must get up early in the morning to meditate and clear our sub-conscious mind. He also discusses the topic of cold shower and the benefits.

Over the next few weeks I will be editing and posting more video excerpts like this from classes he taught over the years. If you don’t know much about the term “Sadhana” then you can read this previous blog post on the subject.

Download: Video / Audio

13 Responses to “Sadhana – Video Lecture by Yogi Bhajan”

1. Jarmail says:

A very stimulating and thought provoking video. Its amazing how Yogi Bhajanji put the concept into laymens terms. Thanks

2. Mrs. Sandhu says:

It was a great advise.Thank you for sharing with all. Can one do jaapji sahib, moolmantar(108 times) and satnam waheguru ( 30 min) as sadhana?. Please explain.Thank you ji.

3. Mrs. Sandhu, of course you can do Jaapji Sahib. The word “Sadhana” is just a term for daily discipline. Do your banis, meditate, simran, etc. This is best done in the Amrit Vela (early morning before the sun rises).

4. bdotop says:

Thanks so much for posting this. I’ve struggled with morning sadhana for some time, in different forms for EVER (it seems).

Hearing the SSS speak on it is a blessing.

Thanks.

5. Mrs. Sandhu says:

Waheguruji.
    I know that gurumustuk ji suggest to use almond oil during morning showers. Does that mean no soap and only oil?
    I usually feel extremely hungry when I gets up for sadhana. I try doing japji sahib 1st after shower but tummy is usually growling by then.Any suggestions?
    Thank you ji.

6. gmustuk says:

Mrs Sandhu, I don’t use soap. I use Almond oil only. You can take your regular “hot shower with soap” in the evening. Your skin will absorb most of the oil as you take the shower and rub it in.

What tie do you wake up for Sadhana? I generally don’t get hungry till later morning (7-8am). Generally when you wake up early (3-5am) your stomach hasn’t yet “turned on” and you should be fine. If this is not the case, then I suggest only eating something very light like fresh fruit. Wait till later morning for solid food.

7. jasbir kaur says:

Wahegu ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki phatey
    This is the first time ever i see Yogi Ji
    and i’m so impresed to hear about sadhana
    I think i will try to do from today.
    Jasbir Kaur

8. marasa says:

why do we meditate for 3, 5, 7, 11, and 31 minutes? what is the significance of these times?

9. karanvir singh says:

I marasa according to the kundalini teachers manual
    3 minutes of meditation affects the electromagnetic field, the circulation and stability of the bloood.
    11 minutes of meditation begins to change the nerves and the glandular system.
    22 minutes of meditation balances the three minds, and they begins to work together
    31 minutes allows the glands, breath, and concentration to affect all the cells and rhythms of the body.  It lets the psyche of the meditation affect the 3 gunas, all 31 tattvas and all layers of the minds projections

10. Jeffery Lu says:

Waheguru ji,
      This video of our yogi Bhajan really talk to the heart of my mind and soul. I’m just joined kundalini yoga where based in shanghai here about 2 weeks ago. This place really mean for people who meant to be in the class. Morning sadhana really give me lot of refreshing energy and strong magnetic and clear head for whole day as now i start to practise to do 4 times a week. As a expatriate is not easy especially when you pile up with lot of work. But really thanks to God had brought me here to do all this. I just wondering about the cold shower, how it to be done? If almond oil is not available, any alternative oil can be use? I wish i could try it.
    Thank you ji. Waheguru waheguru. May God bless you always ji.

Sincerely,
    Jeff

11. Maria Satkewal says:

Thank you!

12. Jaskirat Singh says:

Thanks for all your efforts to share Yogi Ji’s teachings with the world.

I had the honor of meeting SSS once as a kid but other than that am quite ignorant about his yoga teachings. While the video posted here does a great job of explaining why sadhana is important, I’m still not sure what it is exactly. I know you explained in a comment above that it is “daily discipline” — banis, meditation, simran, etc.

But still hazy on the details. Did Yogi Ji ever specify a particular structure to sadhana? What comes first? Do you have to read all of the banis? Is there a particular mantra that he said is better to repeat in the morning?

I’d be very grateful to hear you response.

Many Thanks!

13. Parneet Singh says:

vaheguru ji ka khalsa
    vaheguru ji ki fateh

please make available some more punjabi lecture of yogi ji (except malaysia /singapore punjabi lecture)

thanks

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. YOGA » Sadhana: Spiritual Healing Daily - [...] found this video of Yogi Bhajan talking about Sadhana on Sikhnet. [...]