SikhNet Youth Film Festival – Featured Videos

It’s been a long few days for the SikhNet Youth Film Festival. The submission deadline has officially passed for youth to enter a video into the competition. Now it’s now time for us all to have fun! It’s time for people and judges to watch the videos and see what people from all over the world have submitted! Everyone seemed to wait to the last minute to submit their videos so there has been a lot to deal with. We got over 20 video submissions which is much more than I had expected! Especially considering that I thought no one was going to submit a video (a month ago) when we only had 3 videos.

Over the next week and a half we will feature different videos that were submitted to the SikhNet Youth Online Film Festival. You can go ahead and check out today’s latest videos.

You’ll notice some of the videos that I have featured in the past few months, but there are two new ones which I posted up today! The first video is from the "Junior Division" which is Age 11-17. The video is titled: Sikhi Sambhal Veera, Directed by 16 year old Harsimrat Singh, and created as a team effort with many of his school mates at Mata Jai Kaur Public School in New Delhi, India.

The video is in Punjabi and the story line has to do with a Sikh boy who wants to cut his hair and how his friend helps him see things differently. It is great fun seeing the main actor (another young boy) lip syncing during one of the music scenes. What would an Indian movie be without a music scene!?? The video was a great effort considering how young all the kids are. For me I liked the fact that all the kids worked together to make it.

[photopress:IMG_2351.JPG,full,pp_image]
Above: Some of the kids from Mata Jai Kaur Public School who were involved in making the video.

The second featured video for today is from the "Senior Division" (Age 18-25),  Titled The Call, by the Bansal brothers: Jasmeet Singh Bansal (Age 19) & Baljeet Singh Bansal (Age 25) along with their other brother Sukhjeet Singh (Age 23) who was the actor in the film. They are from Pennsylvania, USA. They did a great job with the all aspects of the video and I really enjoyed it.

Here is a summary of the film "The Call": "Life’s routine can often make a person question their beliefs and values but sometimes doubt turns into determination and the quest to be one with God begins. Meet a young Sikh, a wandering soul, as he journeys thru life awaiting the Gurus call.

Stay tuned in the coming days for more videos! If you haven’t seen the videos that I featured already head on over to the main page listing all the videos that have been featured so far.

13 Responses to “SikhNet Youth Film Festival – Featured Videos”

1. I love that video by Harsimrat Singh.

2. SikhSpeak says:

Excellent…congratulations to all those that entered…perhaps you could release a SikhNet DVD of all the entry films and sell it on a “donation policy.” I am sure a lot of the sangat would very much like to keep the videos…just a thought!

3. Yankee Singh says:

VJKK VJKF,

My favorite video so far has to be Satbir Singh’s Video – Priceless.

I was in stiches, when i saw that. But mind you All the other videos are pretty good too. But comedy always has a special place in my heart, as it breaks down barriers more easily than a lecture or a documentry type of video.

So, for over 18’s Category, Satbir has my vote.

VJKK VJKF

Yankee

4. SikhSpeek: I did make a DVD of the videos which some of the judges are using to watch the videos. I’m not sure what the interest is for getting copies… but it is more of a time thing for shipping out.

If there is interest I’m sure we could do this…

5. SikhSpeak says:

I thought the Indian shcool one was pretty good, I found it funny in places (I don’t think I was supposed to, but did). I also liked the one from the girl in the UK, REPRESENTING MIDDX lol but it was a bit long!

Gurumustuk: The DVD would be a great idea I think, and perhaps if you did it again raise even more awareness, in terms of shipping, I could help out in the UK if you wish? or perhaps you could ship out once a week (or something like that)…

6. deva kaur khalsa (Orlando) says:

Wow! All the videos are EXCELLENT! I’m touched by the beautiful, creative and devoted spirits of these younsters.

They are ALL winners!

I’d love to get a compilation video of these as others mentioned. Maybe as a fund raiser?

7. bhupinder singh says:

I was not able to watch videos for some unforseen videos but 20 submissions is a grand success imho. May guruji keep you and your family in chardikala and warm love gurumustuk singh. You’ve been pinoeering lots of good stuff on sikhi front and i appriciate it from bottom of my heart.

gurfateh!

8. Hey Gurumustuk,

I think you should get a bunch of DVDs made and send them in batches to willing people in large sangats to be sold at langar or other functions at the Gurdwara. The proceeds could be used for next year’s competition. I don’t know how much it would cost to make the DVDs but if you could sell them for like $7-$12, people will buy them like hotcakes. Most people would have this kind of cash on them at all times, like at langar or another Gurdwara function, and they’d think to themselves “Hey, I can’t get any other DVD for this price and this goes to a good cause.”

The proceeds of this could help fund another idea I had for next years competition. That is, a site in which people who want to make videos can hook up with volunteers that are donating their time and expertise in editing. This doesn’t mean that the volunteers would do all of the post-production, but they could perhaps give their emails or IM logins and respond to questions about how to use certain editing software. Even better would be a dedicated computer with a license to an editing software that could be logged into remotely for use by film makers.

Also, it would be nice to have a category for filmakers over 25, there wouldn’t have to be a prize but I think just the competition and possibility of being named top in that category would be enough to motivate and bring more videos into the fore.

9. Paneet says:

I think the dvd thing is a great idea, and I know that at my gurdwara we’d sell a couple hundred in a day or two, as long as the price is reasonable and people know what they’re buying, obviously. Personally, I’d love a copy!

Is this competition going to be held again next year? I hope so. Maybe this time I could enter. I know that if people who didn’t win this year would probably be willing to try again if they knew they had a year ahead of them to prepare, and I’m sure you’d get alot more people this time. It’s a great idea – people just need a bit more warning in advance and I guarantee you you’ll have even more success next year. Part of the reason I didn’t enter was because of time restrictions – I know that we had all summer, but ppl are usually busy in the summer time.

Well anyway, that’s enough from me! Great seva Mr Gurmustuk, do keep it up!

10. I already have a DVD made of all the videos which was sent to some of the judges for viewing. To make it more widely available…it’s just a matter of duplication costs and distribution. The larger the quantity of duplication the cheaper the cost is. It can take a lot of effort to distribute it…and the only way to do this effectively is if individuals in local communities volenteer to do this seva.

Probably the best way to deal with this is if individuals might like to sponsor the DVD duplication costs…and we can have any number of DVDs shipped to the person/Gurdwara for distribution. They can be given away…or sold for a small amount and then donation made to SikhNet.

To get an idea of costs for duplicating DVDs see this website.

So…at this point I think it best if sangat that are interested in helping support this festival can take on the seva.

If you are interested in sponsoring and distributing dvds to your community please do let me know. This will be a great help!

If no one is able to help in this way then we might just offer it online in a limited basis for those people that make a donation to SikhNet for some amount.

And YES…there will be another competition next year and we plan to have a group for older “Youth” to participate (26-35?)

11. Deva Kaur Khalsa says:

Why leave any age group out? There might be some old geezers out there bursting with creative ideas for a video!

12. Next year we will have a group for older “youth” to submit videos.. :)

13. Deva Kaur Khalsa says:

As in we are all “Youth”ful at heart?