Jakara Movement

www.jakara.org

A few years back I was able to participate in a cool youth event organized by the the ‘Jakara Movement’ in Fresno, California. They have continued to provide these events to address the needs of the youth of today. This year the topic is on Sikh women, which I feel is a very important one. This is a great opportunity to get involved, learn, share, be a part of the change. It’s only a few weeks away so if you want to attend the event register ASAP.

Here is a video and some text about this years Jakara Event
Over five hundred years ago, Guru Nanak proclaimed, ‘without woman, there is nothing.’ However all too often, women are treated as if they are nothing. From female foeticide, to double standards, to abuse within our relationships and homes, it is time for the ”next generation of Sikhs” to make a change. It is time for the men to heal our women, to be real to our women; it is time for the women to love themselves, to empower themselves just as our Gurus desired. At the 7th Jakara, we will begin that dialogue.

‘Join us at the next Jakara as we pay homage to our Sikh women and celebrate Kaur Voices: Exalt, Express and Empower.’

If you are a woman you can help out by filling out the following survey.

11 Responses to “Jakara Movement”

1. GP says:

Akhooo satnaam sri vahegurooooooo

2. HARPAL SINGH says:

Sorry though I am man, it will much better if the survey form was meant for the Sikh ladies from other parts of the world. At least you will know their problems – faced world wide. Any how you all have taken a bold step and a good course for this job. Wish you all – the best and success. Hope you will print the results. Thank You

3. Sarib Singh says:

I love to hear about things like this.

4. Prabhu Singh says:

Looks like a nice event and it’s good that these issues will be discussed.
    After watching the video I would like to offer the following (hopefully) constructive criticism.
    One thing that surprised me was that the video does not show even one turban, or even a head covering at all! A picture (or video) says a thousand words. For me this video sends a subtle message that the Guru’s bana is not important. I’m not an expert in marketing, but I feel like this video could be more effective. The text draws me in, and then the video lets me down. If Gurbani was used or people with turbans were shown, or a picture of the Gurdwara was used, then I would feel very attracted to this event. Instead I’m wondering is this event to discuss Sikh topics or cultural topics?
    I’m not saying don’t show Sikhs with their hair out, or hair cut or whatever, I’m just saying that a more diverse video representing the sentiments of different members of the Sikh community might be more effective in attracting Sikh youth to this event.
    This looks like a very positive event, and I really appreciate the efforts of Sikh youth getting involved in the community.

5. Bikramjit Singh says:

I am agree with Prabhu Singh, even I noticed the same thing. video should have atleast few Gursikh women but was hesitating to add criticism. Anyhow, its a good move. Hope it will be successfull.

6. Sikh things dont always have to be totally religious. The could do Ardass before and after to remember Waheguru during a Womens social event. I had a question about this but it not enough to raise a flag. I could pass on what and let them be.

This is just a Womens youth gathering about womens issues and us men shouldnt go spying on what women do every second.

7. sbk says:

Endeavors which bring girls and women together to meet, greet and discuss topics and issues relevent to all women, no matter what religion or culture, is of great value. I noticed all the replies to this posting are from men and most have a touch of criticism about how it should be done or ways it could be improved. This is just one of the reasons why the feminine must meet with the feminine, The masculine nature has a tendency to present their opinions and requirements in ways which are often not relevent to the issue. Women meet to experience and express themselves away from the male psyche. It is a profound experience and very powerful. Women come away stronger, more aware, empowered, creating greater women, stronger girls. The meeting of the young with the aunties is a support system which endures, creating relationships which nurture and sustain. A society of Sisters, who can then take themselves into the world, their homes, families, employment, deeper in their connection to themselves and the Divine. What a wonderful world to behold. Yogi Bhajan said “When a man falls, an individual falls. When a woman falls, a generation falls.” Let us support the fullness of the feminine in the Nam, Shalom, Namaste, Amen….let us have the backs of our sisters, mothers, daughters, nieces as they move more deeply in to the coming age. Let us stand strong as they create the next generation, healing the hearts and minds of themselves, the children, the land, the water….for such is the nature and capacity of women when she is held deeply in the Adi Shakti. Let us raise the sword of consciousness to the army of conscious women marching, marching, marching into infinity.

8. Prabhu Singh says:

I believe the survey is for women only, but the event is for ‘Sikhs.’
    Whereas I agree with sbk and definitely support women getting together for empowerment and just about everything else she wrote I don’t agree with the following.
    “The masculine nature has a tendency to present their opinions and requirements in ways which are often not relevent to the issue.”
    This is why men and women are different. I’m sure there are many men who feel like women don’t think logically. It’s just different logic. My experience is that men usually do care about relevancy. Generalizations can’t be made, every man and every woman is different.
    I offered criticism because I am a member of the Sikh community and I care about issues and events. Aside from what might happen at the event, the video is not effective in attracting Sikhs like myself to such an event. Generally the Guru’s roop indicates commitment. Likewise cut hair, indicates a clear violation of the Guru’s instruction. So what is going to attract committed Sikhs? The Sikhs that I know who inspire others and serve are committed. They not only discuss issues, they do things about them. Those are the Sikhs that would bring me to an event.
    I’m not criticizing a person or a gender. I’m commenting on the marketing and questioning (as a result of their marketing via the video) what relevance this event will have to a Sikh like myself?

9. I have been to this event before and there were quite a mix of people, though “Amritdharis” where a minority. One thing is a fact and that is that many of the youth don’t have much of a commitment toward Sikhi…and that a majority of Sikh families don’t really practice much other than maybe going to Gurdwara. So, while it would be great to have more people in the videos who are turban wearing Sikhs I think we should not criticize them. It is representative of how things are these days.

I know one of the guys who organizes the event and he is awesome. There may be issues with the camp, as there are always with any camp…but I think the important thing is that we support these efforts which really do strive to educate and give some experience to youth. Yes, things could be better and improved…but people will do the best they can and we should be supportive not critical. As with each one of you…we are not perfect and have our own issues to deal with. This is part of the journey of life is to learn and experience things.

I think suggestions (not criticisms) should be sent directly to the people involved rather than online in a forum like this, as I don’t think it has a positive impact to talk about what you think is wrong or could be done differently. I know from experience with SikhNet and this very blog. No matter how good your intentions are and how hard you work to do positive things to create change in people there are always those that will focus on something that I didn’t do…or could have done better. One of the lessons I think we all need to learn is be supportive of eachother and giving other the benefit of the doubt.

So, my suggestion is for you all to think before you write comments about everything, just for the sake of commenting or expressing your opinion. I would rather not post a comment if it doesn’t serve a positive purpose or goal.

There is more than enough negativity around all the time and people being critical of others. If we could just divert that energy to finding commonality and working together. It all comes down to you and how you communicate (and for what purpose). Words can sink ships. Be carefull of what you say and think before you speak.

10. BS says:

I think video is actually sexist. All it does is cut men down. Very Very stereotypical. You can’t associate all “Sikh” men with these comments. Maybe its just the males they have been around who act like this, because i know ALOT of good male Gursikhs who are very supportive of women, and believe in totally equality.

I could make a similar video where i can go around saying: “Why do SIKH women not want to marry men who keep their hair?” I know not all women feel this way, the True Sikh women would marry a man with Kes, but i can’t label all women as being “Sardar Haters”

btw- i wonder how many of the “Sikh women” in this video will actually marry a man who keeps his beard and wears a turban?

11. Most men get mad when women have there own things.

The could be doing there own thing as long as they arent doing anti-Sikh things or doing things a Sikh isnt supposed to do.

Sikhs arent supposed to cut their hair at all, men or women so lets go around and tell everyone that cuts their hair that they arent representing Sikhi correctly and should be shut down or whatever these people want.

Jinhan milian tera naam chit avvey

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ki fateh!