Understanding Gurbani – Random Word

In an effort to help us all learn and understand the meaning of words used in Gurbani we are going to be featuring a random Gurbani word and the meaning on the SikhNet home page. So, every time you load the page you will learn about a new word. I myself am looking forward to this because my understanding of Gurbani words is very limited and I hope to learn more.

We have a list of about 330 frequently used words and their meaning, however we need help from someone in the sangat to type the Gurmukhi version into the list. What we are planning to display is something like this:

Gurmukhi word
Transliteration
Translation

If you are able to help please let us know and Download the list here which is in Microsoft Excel format. The Gurmukhi column shows text but it uses a font which is not common so we would like to replace it with Gurmukhi typed in the GurbaniLipi Font. Even better would be if someone could type it using Unicode. Information about setting this up is here.

If you have a list of Gurbani words and their meanings please do add to the list and send to us.

16 Responses to “Understanding Gurbani – Random Word”

An excellent project!!

Sikhi, unlike Christianity which has a holy trinity of the father, the son and the holy spirit – has only one authority and that authority is vested in Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

No-one is second, third, fourth or anywhere near. Since no-one is even close – there is no competition. Every single human alive or dead is no more than a bacterium in comparison to Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Let us all be very clear about this. Sikhs neither seek nor accept conflicting loyalties or authority. I’m glad that this project is about that final authority.

2. I made a somewhat functional web page that enables you to enter text in Gurmukhi (in Unicode) without having your computer set up for multiple language support. As long as you have Unicode support (Windows XP, Mac OS X), it should work. You can copy the text you type and paste it into any application that supports Unicode.

3. Cool tool Mangala!

Do you have particular uses for it?

4. Help will then be just a click away. I am from India but since my father worked for defense, his job was transferable, and we had to go to schools that had uniform curricula through out India. Unfortunately, Punjabi was not the language of choice in those schools. Since my reading of Gurmukhi is pretty much limited, I can use the Transliteration to read and find the meaning of those words that I don’t know meaning off..

5. Bindy Bains says:

ppl say that punjabi is the only way… i challenge them!

I will learn it, but it’s not my priority, my first priority is learnign sikhi!

6. Ennis says:

That’s a very cool project

7. Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ki fateh!
    This project is an excelent way to over time learn Gurmukhi and somewhat maintain in your memory what words mean. On GuruJots blog he has the list of 300 most used words in SGGS which is of great help. I cant say I can read it and know cause it takes time to remember things but I have learned alot of words from that page. Enough that I can listen to Kirtan at the Gurdwara and understand a few words of what the topic of the Shabad is or at least what is therein. I dont know fully but it is alot better than not knowing any of it like how it used to be but since Im learning gradually it helps.

I think you should also merge the same idea onto this page and any page you associate info on.It would help blog readers as much as web-surfers{dude}hehehe.I try to read this blog once a day and a new word would educate me that much more.
    Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ki fateh!

You’ll probably remember me – I helped you get SikhiWiki Punjabi support off the ground :)

I’ve created a utility that’ll convert fonts to Unicode (a much better one than GUCA which I made earlier). There isn’t a mapping for GurbaniLipi, but one can be made by anyone with Character Map and notepad in about thirty minutes.

If you’re interested, e-mail me at [email protected]

9. Sukh…can you email me? The email I sent to that address bounced back. I tried your hotmail email but am not sure if you check that still.

10. As long you folks can help on Unicode stuff, I am can convert the Gurmukhi column using the fonts you have mentioned.

11. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!
    Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

As long as someone can help with Unicode stuff, I would love to have the opportunity of doing sewa to convert the Gurmukhi column in Gurbani Lipi Font.

We do Gurbani Word-a-Day here in Houston, let me know if I can help!

Tanu Kaur

13. Do you have a list of Gurbani words and translations? If so…please send.

This is already happening on DiscoverSikhi.com from the last several months.

It’s called “Word of the Day” forum

15. The “Word of the Moment” is now on the home page of SikhNet.com below the daily news.

16. Kamalpreet Kaur says:

Wjkk Wjkf,

I was just wondering if this list is posted somewhere on sikhnet because the link provided on this page isn’t working for me.

Thanks for all your help! Keep continuing the seva that you do!