Jaap Sahib – Song of the Warrior-Saint

This year a few days before the Summer Solstice camp (June 11 – 14) there will be a four day intensive course on Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s Jaap Sahib. I’ve been involved a little bit with giving ideas and it is going to be a great course. The past two years we had four day courses on Japji Sahib which were amazing! Here is a little story and intro by Shanti Kaur Khalsa which gets you into the mood of the event. We hope to see some of you here this summer!

All the Sangat is running to have darshan,
because Guru Gobind Singh is coming!

“There was time in 1705 when, after years of devastating battles, the Sikhs had a brief period of rest. The Khalsa had directly faced the imperial might of the mughal tyrants and great sacrifices had been made. Guru Gobind Singh ji, the tenth great Guru of the Sikhs, endured hardship that would have been unbearable for another person as his people made a stand against the religious intolerance of the mughal regime– the death of his two eldest sons in battle, ages 14 and 17; the murder of his two youngest sons by Wazir Khan, ages 7 & 9; the death of his beloved mother, Mata Gujri; and the slaughter of thousands of his Singhs.

With all of this human tragedy, the Guru was not depressed. The Guru was not despondent. The Guru was not withdrawn. The Guru certainly was a man, and I am sure his pain and mourning would have been no less than yours or mine, but his spirit was so exalted, so manifest, and so one with the One that his internal glow was not dimmed. Upon receiving the news of the death of his two younger sons, Guru Gobind Singh wrote a letter to Emperor Aurangzeb, the beautiful Zafarnama, laying bare the godless actions of his rule that penetrated the Emperor’s fanatic mind like an arrow shot into a melon. Aurangzeb was shocked and awakened with the Guru’s words, and he called a halt to his mad campaign of death against the Sikhs.

This time is known as the Lakhi Jungle period. Guru Gobind Singh and a handful of Singhs traveled through the Punjab, and made camp in the Lakhi Jungle before moving on to Talwandi Sabo – Damdama Sahib. Word spread like wildfire throughout the land, and even though it was still dangerous to travel, the Khalsa came in floods to see their Guru. Tears of joy were overflowing as the sangat once again beheld the brilliant majesty of the king of kings, Guru Gobind Singh ji Maharaj. After many years filled with danger, langar was served, kirtan was sung, battle skills were celebrated, and daily the sangat basked in the darshan of Guru Gobind Singh. I would give my life to be there now, and I would exist through all eternity holding only the memory of those days.

When Guru Gobind Singh’s left this earth, he promised us that when we gather in His Name, He would be there. This summer we have a precious opportunity to come together in the name of Guru Gobind Singh. Jaap Sahib – the Song of the Warrior Saint is a four-day intensive course dedicated to this magnificent bani of Guru Gobind Singh. Set in the pristine mountains of New Mexico, we will gather together to tell stories about Guru Gobind Singh, study the mysteries of the Jaap Sahib, learn pantra and other basic gatka skills, and experience together the power of reciting Jaap Sahib as a group. Many years ago, the Siri Singh Sahib taught us to sing the Jaap Sahib, and bow – actually lay your forehead on the floor – with every beat of “Namastung”. It’s a powerful experience, and we’ve started doing it once a week in the Amrit Vela here in Espanola. We’ll do this every morning at the course and immerse ourselves in Guru’s Word.

In this year’s course, we will give special focus to the Guru Gayatri Mantra:
GOBINDE – O the Preserver Lord!
MUKANDE – O Salvation-Giver Lord!
UDAARE – O Most Generous Lord!
APAARE – O Boundless Lord!

HARIANG – O Destroyer Lord!
KARIANG – O the Creator Lord!
NIRNAAME – O the Nameless Lord!
AKAAME – O the Desireless Lord!

There is a lot wisdom and intensity in these words! It was the personal mantra of Baba Deep Singh ji. We can see by the incredible life of that incredible saint that there is much to be gained by bringing this into every pore of our being. Wahe Guru Ung Sang.

I invite you all to come. I know that for many people the cost will be prohibitive, especially with traveling. There are some discounts available for students and people who are coming from abroad which will help. Please write me with questions, or if you need more information. [email protected] Check out the webpage for more details: http://www.3ho.org/events/JaapSahib.html

For me, it is like running to the Lakhi Jungle for the chance of a glimpse of Guru Gobind Singh ji. It’s a dream come true.” – Shanti Kaur Khalsa, Espanola – New Mexico (USA)

10 Responses to “Jaap Sahib – Song of the Warrior-Saint”

1. nice write up, i dont agree with one minor part though. I dont believe Guru Sahib can be compared to a common man. Guru Sahib was beyond Dukh and Sukh, they were content with the will of god, and whatever god pleased was fine with Guru Sahib and caused them no grief.

Agree with otpreka singh.

But it does not matter what one person or majority of population thinks because saying something will not change the reality.

If say Guru ji Great, IT will not make guru ji any greater because its already beyond measureable, therefore, if I say guru ji is less ( more like a ordianry man) still it won’t change anything!!!

Respected Bhai Sahib,
    I would be Really grateful if you could give a source or reference for the quote ;

“In the Lakkhee Jungle, the Khalsa heard of His coming and they longed to see Him. Just like when the water buffalo hear the call of the herdsman, they leave their food and water to rush to him. In their joy and excitement they ran to see their Beloved, each trying to pass the other to get there first. Their pain was gone when they met the Guru, their herdsman, and they gave thanks!”

I have been trying to find it for a while – but haven’t been able to find where the quote comes from.

Many Thanks !

The shabad “Sunn Kay Sadd Mahi Da”
    is in Amrit Kirtan, page 555, under the title: Maajh Sri Mukhvaak Patshahi 10.

The footnote at the end of the page describes what this shabad is about. Hope it helps.

Dearest Gurmukh Piara “Anonymous” Ji,

May Waheguru shower you with blessings !!!!
    You have made my Day !!
    I have been looking for this beautiful Shabad for what seems like ages – Thank you for this sewa !!!
    GurFateh !

I posted this message yesterday but someone removed it. Trying again. I believe this message is in line with Gurumustak Veerji’s stated goal of sharing and educating.

———————-

Having provided the above information about the shabad, I must add that in 3HO lexicon – language may have different connotations.

For instance, I have witnessed a situation wherein a 3HO kirtani jatha began to sing the shabad: “darsan dekh jiva(n) gur tera, pooran karam hoye prabh mera” right at the time when Yogiji was entering the Darbar Hall. Evidently, this shabad means much more to the 3HO kirtani jatha than an ordinary Sikh.

I won’t be surprised if “sunn kay sadd mahi da” shabad too has a special meaning in 3HO lexicon.

Many students are limited in their understanding by what their HUMAN teacher has taught them. They never try to surpass the teacher because that is also a part of the teaching.

7. Anonymous: I don’t understand what you are talking about. What are you trying to say? People who play kirtan here do so out of devotion to the Siri Guru Granth Sahib. Most don’t get too much into the understanding of the Gurbani. They merely sit, sing, and feel the Gurbani.

I would suggest that you not make vast generalizations about “3HO”. Also, myself and many others do not like to be categorized into “3HO Sikhs”. There may be some differences between you and me…but we are both Sikhs of the Guru and trying to put me in some category doesn’t help us become more unified. We should be finding our similarities not differences.

Ps. I would also suggest that you click the “other” option when making a comment..or at least sign your name. Too many people write comments under “Anonymous”.

Respected Gurumustak Veerji,

The devotion of a Sikh for Sri Guru Granth Sahib is an issue of faith which only Guru Sahib is qualified to judge.

But at that same time, it’s hard for me to imagine a forum/site which is full of Albert Einstein’s pictures, quotations, lectures and life-time achievements – yet doesn’t permit a discussion about his theories and the way he arrived at his conclusions.

And I say this with tremendous feelings of respect I’ve for you, your family and the members of the community in Espanola.

9. Jaspal says:

Also, myself and many others do not like to be categorized into “3HO Sikhs”.

Why is this if I may ask?

10. Anonymous,

Now I’M confused! You say you want “discussion” about “theories” and “conclusions”, but as I read your post, I don’t hear any invitation to discussion on your part. I hear that you have come to a personal conclusion about some issues and that you are presenting those personal viewpoints as facts. I don’t hear any “In my opinion”, or “On the basis of my experience”, or “But that’s just MY opinion which I certainly have a right to but I grant that everyone else’s opinion is equally valid for him/her.”

Yes, you’re “sharing”, but you’re not “educating”? What am I learning from your comments? That you have a personal bias against Yogi Bhajan and 3HO which is supported by the “evidence” of the coincidence of a certain line in a shabad being sung
    as YB enters a room. How is that a “teaching”? How is that helpful to me?

I am not a Sikh. I love God and Guru and am faithful to many of the same practices as Sikhs. But one of the biggest obstacles to people like myself ever formally becoming Sikhs is the sort of hostility I hear and feel from some Sikhs toward Yogi Bhajan and 3HO. “What is THAT all about?”, I wonder whenever I encounter it. “You would think Sikhs would be GLAD that this man has inspired so many people to transform there lives, whether or not they have actually become Sikhs, but instead there is so much judgment and criticism.” I know that the decision to become a Sikh is between an individual and God, but at the same time it’s true that when you embrace a religion you become a part of a larger group that embraces that religion. And I have to say that at times I cringe at the thought of voluntarily becoming a part of a group in which some members have so much animosity toward other members.

I think you should think about this. I know I am not alone in MY thinking on this matter. If one of your aims is to attract others to God and Guru and exemplify the teachings of your religion, then it would be good if you asked yourself how these kinds of comments do that. There are many non-Sikhs who read posts of this nature and are just turned off by the lack of love that comes through them.