We are the Khalsa

Tonight I am posting the end of a video by Hari Kirin Kaur titled “We are the Khalsa“. The original video teaches 8 different songs accompanies by certain hand movements. This video portion was added on to the video at a later date showing some of the Sikh Children in Los Angeles practicing the songs.

This was one of the things that Siri Singh Sahib ji taught and is now a regular part of our Sunday Gurdwara program. During Gurdwara you will see the children perform various songs to music in front of the sangat. Before Anand Sahib the “Kids Program” starts and most of the kids from the sangat will go up and do perform various songs with the motions. I normally sit with my Son Narayan and do it along with him. Many of the Sangat also do the motions/songs along with them to show support and participate. It is great fun and gets the children involved. As they start to learn the songs and motions, the kids really get into it. As adults we might feel embarrased to do this, but for children it is so natural and enjoyable. When I am up with Narayan, I see almost the whole sangat has a bright smile on their face as they see the beautiful children glowing as they sing and do the songs. It’s great!

I think it is important to have different ways for the children to be involved in the Gurdwara program. These types of things give them confidence and and an experience. All Sikh communties should find ways to involve the children and start teaching from a very young age. I remember when I was little, at the same time as the normal “Adult Gurdwara” someone would get the children together in a different location and talk about Sikhi in ways that we could relate. We would learn different things or just do part of a bani together. After our little kids program we would all go over to the Gurdwara together and join the Sangat. Without this type of thing Gurdwara would just be a really long ceremony that we didn’t understand.

Summary from the Video
“Celestial Communication is a powerfull technnique for healing the body, relaxing the brain, uplifting the soul and purifying the entire being.

When the body language joins the vibration of sound, the internal music is created.

Follow the movements as you sing each song. Be sure to smile! Practice it experience it, understand it, share it and enjoy it.”

Download Video (24 MB)

Below is a video clip of some of the kids from this past Sunday at Gurdwara:

14 Responses to “We are the Khalsa”

Quick question. Where can I get a copy of the guitar chords for Khalsa songs such as these and Stand as the Khalsa.
    Appreciate your help.

Veer Ji can u provide with a link to downoad this video clip?

Singh
    Ireland

3. Guruka Singh says:

Here are the chords for the “Song of the Khalsa”

I also have the chords for:

Eight Point Four Million Lifetimes
    At the Feet of the teacher
    Ballad of Guru Ram Das
    Wedding of Guru Ram Das
    Won’t get fooled again

…..G

awesome

5. Gurpreet Kaur says:

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Feteh

I came across this posting just today. I’d love to have the chords that you mentioned for all the Khalsa songs, but the link is not working anymore. I’m a new student at learning guitar and I’d really appreciate if you could send me the link for the chords.

GurFateh,

Gurpreet

6. Guruka Singh says:

I sent you the chords for “Song of the Khalsa” via email and I’m sure Gurumustuk Singh will fix the link above. As for the rest of the songs, do you have any specific requests?

…..G

7. jaspreet singh says:

Hello:
    Gurfateh,  I am interested in getting the chords for the above songs, you tube video lesson for a few would be awesome, if possible.  I am working on “song of the Khalsa”.

Regards,
    Jaspreet Singh

8. Supriya says:

Hi,

I have been reading these posts and noticed that you have the chords for some songs I would really like to sing. Is there any chance you could send me the ones for Kabir's song?

I would really appreciate this.
    Best wishes,
    Supriya

9. Alyssa says:

I took am looking for the chords for Kabir's song. I would like to learn to play it on the harmonium. Your help would be so much appreciated.

10. balmeet says:

Vahiguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vahiguru Ji Ki Fatih!

I'd like the chords for Kabir's song, The Gift, Ode to Guru Gobind Singh, and Won't get Fooled Again.

Is there a link with the other songs you mentioned?

11. roshni says:

Fatehji

I'd like to get the chords of songs mentioned above.. please help with the link. thank you very much in advance

12. Gurumustuk says:

See Guruka's comment earlier which has a link to the chords.