Miri Piri Academy Girls Playing in a Kabaddi Competition

Back in my days of school I was not fortunate enough to be able to be in Punjab. I went to school in India starting 1983. We were in Amritsar for a couple of weeks before we went to the school (GNFC) in Mussoorie, UP. That was the last time we were able to be in Punjab till many years later due to the attacks on the Golden Temple in 1984 and subsequent violence.

My brother Dharam Singh and many of the younger Sikhs from my community have been very fortunate to now go to school just outside of Amritsar (Cherta Sahib) at Miri Piri Academy. While I did learn to read and write Punjabi, not many people spoke it, and our teacher was not very good at teaching it. So we learnt mostly Hindi from conversations with locals. Nowadays I speak somewhat of a mixture of Hindi and Punjabi, though I am pretty rusty due to the lack of practice. Whenever I go to India it seems to come back to me which is nice. The “Kids” who went to school there at Miri Piri Academy in Amritsar are another story. They have been growing up there so are totally Punjabi. Many of them speak Punjabi pretty fluently which is pretty great for most western born “White” Sikhs. Even I was a little surprised to hear Sada Sat Simran, Jugat Guru and Harimandir Jot talking Punjabi desi style during a Gurdwara in Singapore. You can hear the audio clip on this page near the end.

At the school the kids do all kinds of sports. One of the sports that they learn and play quite often is the Punjabi sport of Kabaddi. Someone just sent me a link to a video of a big Kabadi competition where the Miri Piri Academy Girls played against some other Girls in Punjab. They won the game too! It looks like a huge event with thousands of people. It’s been ages since I played Kabaddi…so it was cool to watch the video.

You can watch the Kabaddi video online here.
The Miri Piri Academy girls are in red.

Ps. Here are a few blogs by MPA students/staff

10 Responses to “Miri Piri Academy Girls Playing in a Kabaddi Competition”

1. Shinda says:

This announcer is jokes…

the announcer’s comments are not insulting and that’s the way they announce things in india

The Girls Kabaddi Match was really Good. Great Video

4. The commentator is hillarious

thanks for sharing the video

5. xSHANTIx says:

kabbadi looks too evil for me

6. Wahe Guru Ji Ka khalsa, Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fethe

Hope you’re doing well and good Gurumustak Singh, the kabaddi videos were excellent, thanx for sharing. I’ve just put the videos on my blog as well.

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa, Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fethe.

Best wishes,
    Satwindar Singh

7. Prabhu Singh says:

The first time I played kabaddi was last year. I wasn’t sure exactly how to play, but I just went ahead and jumped in. I didn’t know any strategy and barely even knew what the rules were. I went for a raid and before too long I had one guy go for my legs (he ended up jumping on my knee) and three other guys taking me down in the opposite direction. My knee hurt a lot, but surprisingly I was okay after about 10 minutes. It was the first minute I had ever played kabaddi and I thought I was facing serious injury. I’m 25, but I was a gymnast for 15 years and I’ve been skiing and snowboarding for longer so my knees are not very young.
    That quick introduction taught me fast. Kabaddi is an aggressive sport. When I got back into the game I was majorly aggressive. There were a lot of cuts and bruises that day, but I guess that’s part of the fun.
    I’d like to play again some day, but if my knees or ankles get injured again I may need to retire from the sport.

8. Biloo says:

Only one fellow should had attacked you. Not four.

9. kabaddi says:

Biloo i think Prabhu Singh was playing the national or Surjeevani style of kabaddi