Guruka Singh: Being a Sikh

Guruka Singh is SikhNet’s Executive director and original founder of SikhNet back in 1983 as a BBS System. Late last year he changed his whole job focus…and decided to work again with SikhNet (as a full time job). For me personally it is so cool to work with him and share our passions for SikhNet together. It’s amazing how God works these things out!

Guruka is a great mentor for me and I learn a lot from him on all different levels. He has so much to share, and does so enthusiastically with everyone around him. Guruka Singh sets such a great example for me and others to learn from. I think he has a lot to offer in a very unique way, and hope he has the opportunity in the future to travel to other Sikh communities to share/teach the youth (and the old folk if they are willing).

Yesterday afternoon I had a lot of fun sitting with Guruka Singh and talking to him about a variety of topics (which I recorded). I will edit and post the different videos over the next few weeks. Lots of very good stuff! One thing that will be very apparent in the videos is his enthusiasm, smiles and joy. This is who he is…and what I feel living as a Sikh can bring to each of us.

The video that I am posting tonight is about himself personally becoming a Sikh and being a parent.

Download the video
(Right click on above link and select "save target as")

25 Responses to “Guruka Singh: Being a Sikh”

1. waheguru, i must say i always love the things you post on your blog and they touch my spirit. i must say i love the video esp. at the end when Guruka singh is talking about the airport and the guy in the business suit. that really touched my soul. thank you for posting such nice things to read and thank you to all those who share.
    waheguru

2. Hari Singh says:

That was an absolutely marvellous video. I agree with you that Bhai Guruka Singh has a most compelling personality; so much love and tons of valuable experience …. and what a smile. I am patently waiting for your next interview with him.

I think he was born a Sikh and Sikhism found him; he did not have to find Sikhi.

It’s interesting how without the turban & hair-knot, one picks up random negative thoughts and otherwise the thoughts are focused. Amazing experience! I don’t think a Punjabi Sikh would have noticed that as our attitude to religion is not normally so scientific?

A similar comment was made by Lins on the discussion forum regarding Gurbani changing her attitude to diet!?!

Many thanks GMS for a wonderful experience listening to a total Sikh!

3. sadh bakshish k. says:

Absolutely lovely. Thank you…thank you.

4. Sumeet Singh says:

Good job Guruka Singh Ji!!!

The interview was very dramatic; the dialogues very rythmic and expressions full of variety, ever changing like well rehersed dance moves.

You could be a good actor. You remind me of Shammi Kapoor, an Indian movie screen legend.

But you stand out for your unique evergreen, carefree, smiling attitude towards life and its problems, exactly what Sri Guru Nanak displayed through his life.

Its interesting to know through Gurmustak Singh how Guruka’s life style fitted in Sikhism, like Sikhism was tailor-made for him, the “Fashion of the Future” generations according to Yogi Harbhajan Singh Khalsa.

Guruka’s turban looks great. The beard and mustache is made of shinning and pure fibers that need some styling so that they are not running around wildly. By this I don’t mean folding it, but flowing with a blend of civility and naturality that represents Guruka’s internal Sikh character, the character of all gurus.

Leaves me speechless, wow!

6. This and the other interviews (that I haven’t yet posted) were not pre-setup. I just showed up with my camera and we sat and talked. This wasn’t scripted or pre-thought out. It was a natural flow of expression, which Guruka Singh does so well. I wanted to just keep recording/talking (which we did) until the tape finished.

7. Wah ! Wah ! Wah! Wah! Wah! Waheguru. That is the most beautiful thing. Wah! I am wordless!

8. wahegurujikakhalsa
    wahegurujikifateh!

may i take this opportinity to say that your seva is wonderful.

GuruKa Singh is truely an amazing sikh. May GuruJi bless him also.

It’s time we all went for the BASICS in sikhi, rather than fighting about between ourselves (ahem!) so thank you for your seva, as it gives us ALL an example of how at the end of the day, the core of our personality is what matters….

thank you and please continue with your seva….

waheguruwaheguruwaheguruwaheguru

9. Gurinder says:

Inspiring! “dress of the future”

I never have done sewa at the golden temple but after hearing from guruka singh ji I can’t wait to do sewa and smell the presence of guruji all day long!

You and your children are fortunate!

10. xSHANTIx says:

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh..i often get asked (about 3 times a day :p) when did u become a sikh, i always say about 2 years, but i feel the same as what Guruka Ji said, that i was Sikh since birth, or perhaps a previous lifetime. Even although im 21 i feel like so much has happened, especially in my teen years, when i should have been doing “normal” teenager things that i refrained and took steps to the Guru, even though at the time i didnt know. Sikhi was in me before i even knew what the name of my beliefs were. You know when you watch things like this and have similarities in the depth of your feelings towards Guruji, you really know what WAHEguru means. WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH! oh im crying again, but its happy crying. =D Bole So Nihal………SAT SRI AKAL!

11. Sumeet Singh says:

Gurumastuk:

Just to clarify, I never mentioned in my comment that the interview was pre-set up.

All I mentioned was that it was good for “natural” stage-setup, being seated in a lawn, which means the stage was natural, not pre-designed stage. The dialougues and expressions were also excellent, which does not mean that they were rehersed, scripted or planned. It only means they were excellent.

But everything we do has a draft plan or sketch in our mind. And we are consciously presenting our best during camera presentations.

So without reference to pre-set up I again say : The interview is excellent for its natural stage set-up, background music, costume, dialogue, variety, style and content–all of which largely reinforce and project Guruka’s Sikh character for the inspiration of the world viewers.

wicked video… really good, so natural, very inspiring

13. Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh.
    It’s too good, i don’t have words to appriciate this video. Keep it up man.
    Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh.

14. ik singh says:

:) thanks Gurumustak!

15. Unky! says:

WOW!
    Great Stuff man!
    Keep it coming!
    Sher

Wah Wah Wah that was really inspiring …beautiful amazing

17. Hari says:

Wow! =)
    Fantastic interview!

18. in tears…humbly yours, mandeep singh

19. Gurvinderpal says:

oh Veer Ji, wow this wow jus wow!!!
    =)

This was so great.

21. manjit sodhi says:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I was just browsing the website and came across the great documentary which I must have seen long time ago.This great vedio must be shown on all the Sikh websites all over the world. I really appriciated your afforts and please countinue this kind of great work.I will show this great vedio to my son and daughter and this great documentry will touch their hearts and have touched others as well.
    Thank you for your work.
    Manjit Sodhi

22. waheguruji
    i am blessed to see this video i never ever living my life as a sikh even i was born to sikh family but this video is changed my thinking to be a sikh or what i used to think in my arrogant mind thank you god bless you waheguruji kaa khalsa waheguruji ki fateh

23. Puja says:

Hey……..I live in Columbus, Ohio……hahahaa !!
    very nice video !!

Absolutely beautiful! Thankyou so much :) heart warming and touching..waheguru!!

25. Sat Narayan Simrarn K says:

Desde Argentina realmente disfruto escuchar y aprender estas lecciones que de alguna forma se relacionan con mi vida personal diarimente.Gracias Mr Sikhnet
    I jave such a joy, every time that i came to this site!!