How to Tie a Turban – Video Tutorials

Well… I think I’m done enough for now with the Turban Tying Tutorials to “officially” put it online. There are still some other turban styles that I want to put up, and some additional info about the turban fabric and lengths. I’ll post that up later on.

So go take a look and let me know what you think. I tried to get most of the existing videos that others made and put them together with the videos I made. Ultimately I could see many more turban styles coming up and more detailed information.

Hey… I’ve been wanting to try some new turban styles…so I’ll have to check out some of the videos! I’ll let you know how it goes.
There is also some good Q&A info about why we wear a turban and similar questions with answers relating to the Turban.

I would like to thank all my friends who let me record them tying their turbans. My brother Dharam Singh (above pictured Dhamala), Himat Singh (Dhamala with Chakar), Guru Darbar Singh (Double Patti), and Hari Bhajan Kaur (Women’s turban pictured above) .

You can watch/download the videos out at:

34 Responses to “How to Tie a Turban – Video Tutorials”

Gurumustuk Singh ji,

Waheguru ji ka khalsa,
    Waheguru ji ki fateh!

This is a humble request. I can see on the page on SikhNet you have taken videos from SikhiFM/EktaOne website.

However, there is no recognition of their work, and there is no “Donate to EktaOne” box.

There is only SikhNet logos, and a “Donate to SikhNet” box.

This seems unfair and not very chardi kala.

Please kindly give recognition, and put a “Donate to EktaOne” box.

Thanks.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa,
    Waheguru ji ki fateh!

2. Waheguru ji ka khalsa,
    Waheguru ji ki fateh!

Anonymous:

If you play the videos it is obvious that it is from SikhiFM.com. I am not taking credit for those videos. I am merely trying to make them more accessable to people.

The donation link is there to allow people to support the bandwidth and hosting costs for SikhNet. You can see that the videos are hosted on our servers so do not pose any costs to Ektaone.

Anyone can download the videos off of SikhNet and post them on their own websites. The intention is to educate people and get these materials out there.

It would be great if Ektaone downloaded and added all the videos that are now on SikhNet and would make more options for peole. They could put a donation link there to support Ektaone too. I have no issue with that.

Seriously… I’m not trying to steal anyone’s thunder. I really am just trying to help.

If you are part of Ektaone we can discuss via email further if this is not agreeable to you.

People love to ramble…….

4. Angad Singh says:

Sat Nam GMS,

Must say Great Job.

If you can do post the readme file which I had attached along with the video.

Guru Ang Sang

Warm Regards
    Angad Singh

Thank you Singh Ji for the great videos. I always wondered how other Singhs/Kaurs tied their Chand Toras…interesting.

a note on ‘men’s general turban:

i have always been told that we are not supposed to put our Dastars in our mouthes, as a sign of respect and cleansiness of the Dastar.

We wouldn’t put other holy things in our mouthes, as a sign of respect, and our Dastars are very holy.

forgive me if i have offended anyone.

6. xSHANTIx says:

SAT NAM

Well done Gurumustuk for all the hard work and time put into these videos….great to see how they are all done…and i think its nice you shared the videos from EktaOne because not many people are aware that they are there…so it opens a wider variety which is awesome…we all have to find a style that suits our own identity….thanks thanks so much and thank you to ur sangat for taking part!!!! keep up the AMAZING work may God bless you all

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
    Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sat Sri Akal,

I have recently stopped cutting my hair and keeping my kesh. The time has come for me to start wearing a turban as I only wear a patka at the moment. However, I have looked at all these styles and dont really like any of them. I am a very tall person so dont really want a damalla to make me look any more taller. Just want a comact style pag… maybe a bit like the womens gol pag but for men. Wondering if you can help me here, thank you very much

8. Angad Singh says:

Comment on Men’s General Turban,

Well a lot of people believe in a lot of things in the way a truban has to be tied.

Some believe you must not even do a pooni or fold the turban, you must just gather it and neaten it as you go on.

For a person who is starting of this is rather difficult. When he has mastered the art he can move on to other ways more complicated ways of tying this turban.

As mention in the readme file, it is the most basic of the general pugs.

Guru Ang Sang
    Angad Singh

tying turban is an art ever heard of patiala shahi turban,practice makes diff so is experimenting with it

10. Waheguru ji ka khalsa
    Waheguru ji ki fateh!

Gurumustuk veer ji,
    I don’t have any words to say.
    you have done a great job. Thanks for awakening our sleeping spirits.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
    Waheguru ji ki fateh!

11. Wahe Guru ji ka Khalsa ||
    Wahe Guru ji ki Fateh ||

I am very happy to see that some women are wearing full turbans. It seems to be the story of the shrinking turban for most of the women I know. It is refreshing to see beautiful women with full saroop.

Chardi Kalaa

Amar Prakash Singh

12. Wahe Guru ji ka Khalsa ||
    Wahe Guru ji ki Fateh ||

I have few comments on wearing Dumallas and Chand Toras. These are not worn just to be cool. Before you wear these you should ask yourself a few questions:

1. Am I a Nihang?
    2. Do I rate to wear the Kalgi?
    3. Do I do Bhang?
    4. Do I believe in Chatka?
    5. Do I believe in the secondary status of women and they shoud not be allowed to perform seva and kirtan at Harmandir Sahib.
    6. Do I understand the symbolism of the Chand Tora? Clue. It’s not a simplified Khanda, in fact has nothing to do with the Khanda.

If you answer yes to these questions, you can continue to wear a Dumalla and Chand Tora. If the answers were no then why would you go around looking like you agree?

Chardi Kalaa

Amar Prakash Singh

13. vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa
    vaaheguroojeekeefatheh !!!

Unless Amar Prakash Singh veerjee is being sarcastic, otherwise the above post was honestly one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read on this blog. Amar Prakash Singh veerjee, Real Nihang Singhs do not believe any of those things you have said, and also the Dumalla is not copyrighted or patented by the Nihang Singhs – it is a style of dastaar created by Guru Gobind Singh ji and all of Guru Gobind Singh ji’s children can tie a dumalla.

Gurumustuk Singh veerjee I think you should at least put some mention of EktaOne on the webpage there – such as “This video is from http://www.EktaOne.com” for example.

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa
    vaaheguroojeekeefatheh !!!

14. Kulpreet: as I mentioned in my previous comment, I don’t think this is necessary. If someone watches the video it is clear that it is by SikhiFM.com which goes to EktaOne. You can see the web address quite clear. The prime purpose for the videos is education not promotional purposes.

I know some of the people who created these videos for SikhiFM…so I am not doing this in a vacuum. If they feel I am doing something wrong they would tell me.

Are you one of the Sevadhars at EktaOne? I’m just curious why you are so insistant on this.

15. Gurinder says:

Amar Parkash singh ji

I totally agree with you! At least someone is talking after some search.
    It is true these Nihangs( these days)have totally distorted the way of khalsa!!!
    Amar Parkash ji I salute for your reasearch and finding out the truth!!!

Kulpreet singh ji,

If you dont believe what Amar parkash singh ji has said then go to this site is see it for your self.

Please first read history before making comments. First Educate yourself before making statements!!!

• Ramneek Singh says:

gurinder veerji, you are clearly mistaken. 'Nihangs' these days who do phang believe in chatka and eat meat or watever amar prakash singh said, ARE CLEARLY NOT NIHANGs they are people who dont follow the true rehat,guru gobind singh mahraj was a nihang, do u think he does this nonsense stuff?and it is shameful u r basing ALL ur reasearch from one website? websites cn be made by anyy one
      and any1 can write watever they wish, true or not, so be careful
      plz excuse an mistakes

16. Gurinder says:

Matter of fact, I have seen these Nihangs in India with my own eyes doing drugs, eating meat, slaughtering goats etc…

Majority of these men are run away from their homes when they were teenagers and adopted this life style so no one can question them. Majority of them are uneducated and act as animals.

this is the TRUTH!!!! Truth is Bitter!!! It is a shame that these Nihangs call themselves khalsa ki army!!!!

Nihang is an cult composed of insane people.

I know people are going to bust in flames.. Hey it is the ultimate Truth. Go to this site and see for yourself. Don’t blind yourself!!!

17. xSHANTIx says:

dear cyber sangat…please stop judging others…Gurumustuk Ji was carrying out very valuable seva…many of us needed a site like this and i think hes done an amazing job..also the videos from ektaone and sikhifm clearly have their websites advertised on the video clips so what is the problem? ALSO whats wrong with sharing!!!! Where is your universal spirit…im sure ektaone will be glad that more people are seeing their work! remeber Guruji is the true Judge….whoever ties dhumulla..for whatever their reason is personal to what they are projecting in the world….its their choice.

eeeee also Gurumustuk….i cant wait for your mothers new album, the sound clip on one of the clips sounds amazing :D

18. Prabhu Singh says:

You’re the one wearing the turban it represents everything you want it to represent! Any person who sees these videos could tie a turban, that doesn’t mean they are a Sikh or believe everything that is Sikh.
    As far as putting your turban in your mouth, it’s just another thing that makes one Sikh different from another. Guru Ji never said anything about it. It’s how much you respect your mouth I guess. I recite Gurbani from my mouth everyday, and so I don’t mind if the end of my turban is in my mouth for a little while. If there is any part of our body that is unholy then perhaps we shouldn’t adorn a turban at all on the top of our body.
    Each body has nine holes, the tenth one is kept hidden. The turban covers the 10th, as well as both ears. I guess for some the ear hole is more sacred than the mouth hole because they allow their turban to touch one but not the other.

19. I must say thank you for putting these up…I myself wear a dastar as a girl but wanted to learn different ways to tie one :)
    and to all those who are arguing over the nihang style well all i can say is just be thankful that gurumustuk singh ji has put up these wonderful videos to help us out. and also a dastar is a gurus giving so just tie the one that best represents you.
    thanks again for the videos :)

20. Hari Singh says:

Gurumustuk Singh Ji, WKWF

This is the Best and most Excellent site for learning or enhancing your turban tying skills.

You have truly done a wonderful job. I have been wearing a turban for a very long time but still found some hints and twists which will help me with this everyday event that links me with my Guru. Please keep on producing these very useful and practical articles which help the community.

Ignore the negative comments – I see no justification for this negativity when all you are doing is sewa for the community. You have spent your valuable time; your resources; asked your friends to do you a favour (which you will have to return at some stage); lifted all the mirror, etc out into the open; etc, etc AND all these folks can do is give you stick! Wow, How non-Chardi Kala is that! Just ignore them for they do not know.

Keep up the good work!

21. Thank you all for your encouragement!

22. SinghKhalsa says:

Waheguru ji ka khalsa,
    Waheguru ji ki fateh.

This is simply amazing.
    I dont why people start debating on EVERY issue.

Comeon do something construtive like gurmastak veer ji did.

Akal sahai.

23. Angad Singh says:

Yes Nihungs in India and overseas are doing a lot of things which we main stream sikhs feel it is wrong.

My question to you is. Just because people wear a bana and a dumalla and do wrong things you will stop wearing one.

In UK guys with turbans smoke and drink ..so will you stop wearing a turban too..

This roop was given by our father to us. I will never give it up. For no one.

Guru Ang Sang!

24. YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB , PLEASE CARRY ON AND IGNORE REST OF THE THINGS,

CARRY ON …………..

25. Wahe Guru ji ka Khalsa ||
    Wahe Guru ji ki Fateh ||

In no way did I ever criticise the work that Gurumustuk is doing. I have known Gurumustuk since the beginnings of SikhNet. He is doing a wonderful job and I thank him for the opportunity to express my opinion.

Nor was I being judgmental. I never said that someone should not wear a Dumalla but that they should be aware of how others will judge them.

You just can not assign meaning to something. A swastika will always represent Nazis even if you have decided that it represents “peace, love and understanding.” A Dumalla and Chand Tora will always be representative of Nihangs no matter what you want it to represent.

Here is some info about the Chand Tora that most of you probably don’t know and need to know before wearing one.

“The Add-Chand symbol is an ancient one that pre-dates Sikhism and is not a simplified Khanda.

“The Add-Chand is made up of two componenets, the Chand is the Cresecnet moon, and symbol of female fertility, whilst the central piece is a shivling (phallus) and potent representation of Shiva. Note that below the shivling are two balls rather than the hilt of a khanda as there are in the Sikh symbol.”

Chardi Kalaa

Amar Prakash Singh

26. Angad Singh says:

amar parkash singh jee,

please send me your email add i need to send you a shabad that explains what shiva in the deh shiva bahr mohe means..its not the shiv bhgwan..

guru ang sang!

GMS its a 30ish MB file..anyway i can send it to you..

27. Wahe Guru ji ka Khalsa ||
    Wahe Guru ji ki Fateh ||

Bhai Angad Singh

My e-mail address is in my profile.

As was stated in my previous post, the Chand Tora is a symbol of Shiva that predates Guru Nanak.

I am familiar with the Shabad that you mentioned. There are two concerns with this particular Shabad and the entire Chandi Charitra.

1. There are doubts that Guru Gobind Singh even was the author of this particular Shabad. Some hold that it was the Brahmim poet Shyam that may have been the author. He and other Hindus were among the 52 poets that Guru Gobind Singh employed in his court.

2. Then there is the problem of making literal interpretations of the Dasam Granth. Even though it states: Deh Siva bar mohe eha…., It is ridiculous to believe that Guru Gobind Singh made an appeal for a boon from Shiva. For the Guru who instructed his Sikhs to only ask for God’s Grace in the form of His Naam, it is hard to believe that he asked for boon from anyone else that Akal Akal Purkh, the only God that he worshiped.

The Guru’s through the Guru Granth Sahib used the names of Hindu Gods but it never meant that they believed in them. Their only God was Sat Guru, the same and only God that Guru Gobind Singh had.

Groups like the Nihangs have totally misinterpreted the Dasam Granth and thus believed that Guru Gobind Singh believed in Shiva. Because of this they wear the Chand Tora.

These misinterpretations of the Dasam Granth can also be seen in the mistranslation of Bhagautee as Adi Shakti. Adi Shakti refers to the first shakti and that is Durga. It is a total misinterpretation of Gurbani to believe that we should “first worship Durga.” Guru Gobind Singh was not a worshiper of Durga and his Sikhs should not be either.

Chardi Kalaa

Amar Prakash Singh

28. Prabhu Singh says:

I don’t think it is fair for us to say who is interpreting what correctly. We are not so wise as Guru Gobind Singh. Adi Shakti translates as the primal power (shakti being the female, or creative power). If it were meant only to refer to Durga then we wouldn’t have the words adi shakti we would just have Durga. Each of the Hindu Gods represent aspects of the One. God being infinite has the attributes of everything, which would mean that God has an attribute of Adi Shakti, Durga, Chandi, Shiva. I think all Sikhs are clear on the worship of one God, including the nihangs, who can argue with the first line of the Siri Guru Granth Sahib (Ek Ong Kar)?
    Before discounting the Nihangs because of a few practices of some of them, let us recognize what they do know. They do know the martial traditions of the Sikhs, including the dress. They respect the Dasam Granth and the Sarbloh Granth, which many Sikhs don’t even know about.
    We need to find out individually what these symbols mean. We can’t let anybody translate for us. If these symbols have significance to you ask for the Guru’s guidance as to their meaning.

29. Gurinder says:

Every sikh that I know of does respect Dasam Granth or other scriptures. the point is not about respect or holding on to warrior dress…. They have distorted the true meaning of a Khalsa warrior to justify thier actions.

We as a Sikh nation need to stop these rituals that are being carried by these Nihangs which are not part of Khalsa!

Our Guru is Guru Granth Sahib nothing in between! So, we as a sikh nation or khalsa need to carve our actions according to SGGS.

Its important not to be in denial because these matters will haunt us for ages..

I know that everyone is highly educated on this blog, therefore, we need to use our wisdom and knowlegde from SGGS and implement the way we handle things.

Lets NOT be Manmukh, lets be Gurmukh.

30. Angad Singh says:

Amar Parkash Singh Jee Since you know that the Chand Tora is not a repesenting Shiva then I feel people like you should educate other..Many times when I am in Bana stranger say Walkum Salam. I stop them and I tell them that I am a Sikh not a Muslim.

Even in the Gurudawara a lot of people ask me about the dumalla and I gladly answer them..i dont stop wearing it cause some people wear it and do wrong things

Guru Ang Sang
    Angad

31. gurjeet singh says:

great work veer ji…
    i want to know more about patiala shahi turban, i want to learn that style. can you plz provide its video to me.. i shall be gratefull to u.