Turban Tying Videos – That’s a Wrap!

For years I have been getting people asking for videos on how to tie a turban. So, I finally got around to working on the project. There are so many different ways to tie a turban. Even one turban which is the same style can be tied with many different variations. I plan to put up a web page and start posting the videos that I am making (along with other people’s videos). So, in the end there will be quite a collection of styles. I mostly wanted to share our local flavor of the turban. Especially the women’s turbans which are not as common. So, stay tuned!

Here is one of the videos on tying a Dhamala. Himat Singh is the teacher for today.

Let me know what you think. It takes a lot of time to do this all and I am trying to keep things simple. I guess given my little free time I’m trying to at least get something up.

Sept 20th UPDATE:
I have finished the first pass of the turban tying tutorial page. You can now view all the videos on SikhNet at:

29 Responses to “Turban Tying Videos – That’s a Wrap!”

1. Jaspal says:

Thats a proper Khalsa Turban. That is not coming off, even in a extreme fight.

There are some videos on ektaone.com (i think thats the right addy), but they are not that clear.

2. what’s the music playing in the background? it sounds really nice with the ‘waheguru’ chant in it. any chance of putting it up for download?

3. Gurdeep Kaur says:

hey gurmustuk i would really like to learn how to tie a singhni turban would you PLEAAASE let me know how long it will take to upload the video? as i would like to learn before the end of oct if possible

thanks in advance

4. xSHANTIx says:

oh Gurumustuk this is an awesome idea…especially for the ladies style turban..nobody here styles theirs like that so really looking forward to the ladies 3HO style turban..if i can call it that..im sure u know the one i mean SAT NAM

5. WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Really nice video…thank you very much for sharing this with the Sangat.

6. Gurdeep Kaur… I already did one video of Haribhajan Kaur tying a turban…but haven’t edited it yet. I’ll try to post it soon. I have been soooo busy…and tired out lately. Let’s see how it goes.

7. Keep it up Gurmustak Singh Ji.

This is a really good seva. thanks for taking time out of your schedule to help the next generation of sikhs ‘sort their heads out’ :)

fateh bha ji, thankyou veryu much for this intruging clip i think if sikhs saw this across the entire world they would probably start tiing a khalsa turban like this

thankyou! stay in chardi kalla

gur fateh

9. Aman says:

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

I am rally proud of you brother. Such a nice turban

Gur-Fateh ,

Always wanted to learn the Dhamala style turban, that’s exactly like a true Khalsa Warrior, may waheguru bless you for sharing this with the sangat.

Gur-Rakha

gurumustak…amazing video…is there anyway to download this video rather than watch it online only..would be really appreciated…waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

12. ThHis is a pre-release version. I will be setting up a page with all the videos and you will be able to download them.

Soon… :)

great seva

14. msingh says:

Good video Gurumustk Ji. Angad Singh (who posted a comment above) has been modest and did not tell us that he has also done rather a good video as well , posted on his blog, the url being

tying-video_08.html

Is it normal practice to tie the turban ‘into the joora? Have some niggling worries in the back of my mind….

Waheguru

15. MSingh: Thank you for the info. In case you might have noticed the video is on SikhNet :) I was helping him put it online. I will include his video along with others from other websites on the final “turban tying” page.

16. msingh says:

ooops, I must be spending more time on your blog than on sikhnet!

Waheguru

Thanks for the great video. I was wondering, why the ears need to be covered?

You have a great blog, thanks for sharing your life with other.

Amy H.

How long & wide is the cloth used for this style of turban?

19. Wonderful! Can you please share that what matarial for the cloth is used in this and aproximate length of the both pieces? That would be really helpful.

20. Gurukarm Kaur (MA) says:

I would love to send this link to Himmat Singh’s friends at MPA – unfortunately their download speeds might be too slow for them to get to actually play the video – but I know they’d love to see it – and undoubtedly joke on him for being the model! :-)

I think I’ll send anyway – there’s always the Internet cafes!

21. Gurmeet Kaur says:

Awesome job with the commentary and video. Can’t wait for my son to tie a dumala.

22. Dhillon says:

Thank you very much for the video. Had two questions, how long is the material for the second part of the turban. Where can you get the kanda and the chain that it is attached to. I live in NYC, is there a place close to here?

23. Thanks for all the complements. When I get home I will measure my material. But to answer that other question – “why are you ears covered?” first of all, it stays on the head better that way and applies pressure to the head so that you feel more focused. Also, it is a battle turban and the ears are very delicate, so it protects them too.

Himmat Singh jus wanna know how tight is the durmalla, does it hurt you head?

Gurmustuk Singh is there going to be a video of the other darmala, it looks alittle different & is without the chains & khanda, something that you could where to school.

Thanx

Himmat Singh:

What is the name of the cloth of your turbans? I know it’s definitely not just normal cotton.

Oh, and width of the cloth would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gurmustuk Singh khalsa
    Wahe guru ji ka khalsa wahe guru ji ki Fateh
    We always appreciate your work of highlighting khalsa culture, history and teaching young about the world best religion.
    The video of “dhomala” is excellent with the backgound chanting of “WAHEGURU”. Can it be possible to down load it.
    Paramjit Singh

How long & wide is the cloth used for this style of turban?