Women being allowed to do Seva and Kirtan at Harmandir Sahib

Well, This is finally coming back again and we are making progress! This is one of those things which I always wondered how the SGPC was able to let slide (not allowing women to do kirtan and Ishanaan Seva in Harmandir Sahib). Yesterday in India the SGPC decided to make some changes. Here is one news story on it.

This is a HUGE step I think for Sikh women, and a good change for the Gurdwara management in India (Especially in Amritsar). Of course this isn’t the first time “permission was allowed”. You can read some of the hukamnamas and things from the past. SikhNet had a whole campaign for a while, to educate the community and pressure the management in Amritsar to make changes.

I used to always get frustrated when I heard people boasting how in Sikhism “women are equal”, however, in practice this is more talk than practice in many places.

So, This might not all happen right away, however it is good that it is starting to move in a positive direction. I’ll definitely be watching to see how this all plays out and what actually happens.

16 Responses to “Women being allowed to do Seva and Kirtan at Harmandir Sahib”

Bole So Nihal!
    Sat Shri akal!!!

Good work of all the campaigners!!!
    It is important that everyday life is the touchstone of what is written in Guru Grant Sahib. It is important that the influences of cultur are fading and that equality is not an empty letter.
    I feel really happy!

love
    manpreet

being coming from indian politician’s mouth always makes one skeptical.
    lets see what happens…

3. Yes…I agree. However we have to put pressure on them to follow through with this. I will celebrate when it actually happens, however I remain optimistic at the direction things are going. Sometimes things take time to change, and this is one of them. I don’t think it will happen overnight.

Did i misunderstand? I thought i read the decision is made? Or not?
    It has been made public, not?
    So what are these brave women waiting for? Off to Amritsar!!!

love, manpreet

5. Nothing is as simple as it seems with regard to politics and Sikhs in India.

6. isingh says:

aah!! i got duped by the [email protected]:58! i had a feeling but i still clicked…grrrr!:)

7. Wahe Guru ji ka Khalsa
    Wahe Guru ji ki Fateh

Gurumustuk Singh

This is good news as far at it goes. This gives women the right to play Kirtan and do Sukhasan Seva (carry the Palki Sahib)but it still does not allow them to do “Ishnan” Seva.

Chardi Kalaa

Amar Prakash Singh

8. s.s.h. says:

I have a question..Why aren’t they allowed to do those things in the first place? What is the reason?

9. Jaspal says:

About time too.

I think the reason is that Sikh religion is very new religion about approx 500 yrs old. Since, the existence of India, Men had double standards against women and that time Hinduism was the main religion, and caste system was created. However, Islam religion took over India and began to forcing their views… Again Male dominated….

Then Guru ji’s came to this world, and gave equal rights to women and eliminated the caste system. However, in India due to cultural pressures or the way the mind has been programmed for thousands of years to consider women are not equal; therefore causing hindrance of womens rights . So, until these kind of twisted thinkers will exist in this world, women will keep on facing discrimination.

It is Sad that women are not being considered equal even in our homes. where the concerns of sisters are considered second to their brothers.

It is a psycholgical/ cultural disease, however now it seems that things slowly are turning around.

Hope for the best.

11. isingh says:

i, being raised in a sikh family and being a boy never even knew of this issue. and when i first heard of this(on Sikhnet) i was just plain angry at the people who let this happen. i felt betrayed. how are we different from other religions (as far as treatment of women…in practice then)?

also Islam, Hinduism and christianity(i’m not too sure about christianity)preach equality among sexes.

but i always liked the fact that we(men and women) sat seprately in the gurudwara but “side by side”. and i never understood people who didn’t like that practice. especially men! :)

12. rk aulakh says:

Now I will definitely make a trip to the Darbar Sahib (Golden Temple).

13. kaur says:

I was just in disbelief when I heard this, I was like “WHAT? SERIOUSLY? FOR REAL? ALREADY? LIKE, REALLY?”

It feels like it’s so right and like everything’s falling into place again, but at the same time I don’t understand how this came to happen. It’s not like the Panth is currently being led by very amazing, Chardi Kala Gursikhs that would make these changes. Jagir Kaur herself is suspected for having killed her own daughter (through female infanticide, which is oh so common in India), so why would she care about women’s rights?

It’s just a little odd and confusing to me, although it makes me relieved at the same time. I’m just waiting for some amazing, strong Singhneea to take the stand and do kirtan there. I want to be able to see my sisters regaining the rights that are rightfully theirs! :P

Often times people have said “when women do kirtan, men can stare at them and look at them in a wrong way.” Well evidently, it’s those men who shouldn’t be sitting up there, not the women! Soo. This all sounds nice and dandy but I just hope it actually happens

After hearing the news that woman WERE not given equal status in the place of worship( i had never even thought why there are all guys doing kirtan at golden temple), sikhs who consider themselves as pure sikhs could not get the true meaning of the teachings that our guru’s had laid their lives for happily.

15. Sanpreet says:

WJKK WJKF everyone,

I’m 16 years old and I was born and raised in Australia. I feel very strongly about this issue and am organising a petition. I’ll soon post a video up on my youtube channel – SantiKaur. Keep checking please, because I need all the support I can receive.

Thanks everyone!
    I’m so glad the people that have commented here feel mutually.
    :D

16. Daljit S. Chowdhary says:

Better late than never. SGPC should imediately remove all these restrictions upon the ladies, and let them come forward in all activities. Let Sikhism be most forward religion of the world.