Gurumustuk’s Gurbani MP3 Pick

Ok…today I have chosen a few live recordings that I did during visits to Harmandir Sahib, Amritsar. It’s nice sharing unique audio clips with everyone. I hope you all are enjoying them. I know some of the MP3 files are pretty big. When I get time I might split some of them into multiple files or encode at lower bitrates so that the files are smaller.

• Rehiras Sahib at Harmandir Sahib (18MB) – This is a nice recording from outside Harmandir Sahib of Rehiras. The very beginning is a little distant as I was walking quickly to get closer to Harmandir Sahib from the Nivas. The part that I like most is starting about 4 minutes into it. I love the sound of the Gyani’s voice echoing around the parkarma. Listening to it brings me there in spirit.
  • Cherdikala Jatha Playing Gurbani in Harmandir Sahib (73MB) – This is a live recording during my visit to Amritsar in 2003. Chardikala Jatha played Gurbani inside Harmandir Sahib right after Ishnaan Seva (before Asa Di Var started). My favorite part is at the end when I took the recorder outside while they were still playing Kirtan. The echo of the Gurbani around the parkarma really gives you the feeling of being at Harmandir Sahib. Otherwise you can’t really tell where the recording was.
  • After Morning Seva at Harmandir Sahib (13MB) – This recording is from the same morning as the above clip of Cherdikala Jatha. After Ishnaan Seva inside Harmandir Sahib before the Ragis play kirtan the sevadhars singh this. I love hearing this clip.

9 Responses to “Gurumustuk’s Gurbani MP3 Pick”

1. Lexica says:

I’ve been enjoying the music you’ve been posting. The Gurbani archive at Sikhnet is so big and has so many different files, it’s a bit overwhelming and hard to know where to start listening. Having you posting these MP3s is great, especially since you also write about why you like a particular track.

Any time you feel like writing about a particular musician or track you think is worth listening to, I’ll certainly be reading with interest. Maybe you could have a “featured performer of the week” from the Gurbani archive or something like that. As if you didn’t already have enough to do… :-)

2. Manjit Singh says:

Gurumustuk,

Great music selection! I wish Sikhnet team had the funding and resources that would enable them to start a national or international Sikh TV channel playing great Gurubani music, sikh news, sikh funniest home videos and stories, children program etc. Or At least once a week for an hour or so. All of the Indian TV programs just show bollywood songs which lately seem all the same. No traditional or spiritual emphasis at all.

3. isingh says:

the 1st mp3, around the 3 minute mark you hear a lady saying “tenu ithai jutian panniya”…”you’re gonna get beaten up right here”…it was early in the morning at work and i just starting cracking up…and of course people wanted to know why…

4. isingh: doesn’t that mean… “put your shoes here”?

5. isingh says:

Gurumustak, what I just transliterated means literally that “you’re going to get beaten up with shoes right here!”(in a threatening tone usually to someone younger than you…in this case a mother to her kid…so i thought)

But since you were there you’d know what was going on… but why would you be in a place where you’d (or someone else would) need their shoes taken care of? i thought you were already in the Parkarma?

in anycase…i can’t thank you enough for this gift. and i must say that Parkarmas are my favorite part of the Golden temple…

Sat Nam Waheguru!

6. I might have been outside the parkarma to start…and then running quickly in….

7. Lakhvir Singh Khalsa says:

I loved the Kirtan by the Cherdikala Jatha at Sri Harmandir Sahib. Out of this world!!! I’ve been listening to it non-stop. I’m also drawn to submission towards the end of the track where your desired effect indeed left me spellbound! I absolutely felt transported into Sri Harmandir Sahib with that effect. Even as I sit in Nairobi, I felt the fragrance of the Kirtan echoing in Amritsar . . .

Are there other kirtan tracks of this amazing jatha that you couls kindly share with us? Any videos? Amazing, amazing, amazing . . .

8. isingh says:

Lakhvir, what a nice name you have!:)

On this blog there’s this one more:

My 10 month old daughter loves this track. she just sits there quietly listening in my arms. :)

Gurumustak, it’s been so long since i’ve been to Amritsar that I couldn’t imagine a place where you’d be able to record the recording (at the level you did) and someone ask/told about shoes.

9. lakhvir singh khalsa says:

isingh ji, thank you so much for that extra track. I’m so eternally indebted to you for your humbling comments kindness. waheguruji bless you.