Seven Steps to Happiness

Those who seek happiness follow this rule:

(It can create wise men out of fools.)

Start with commitment, it’s essential to win your life’s goal,

Then character develops, bringing dignity, so you can be whole;

Dignity brings out divinity, your natural state……

Which you can experience…… with Guru’s grace.

Finally, when you can sacrifice; and do it with a smile(!)

Your search for happiness has been worthwhile. – Yogi Bhajan

(The commitment is to your own higher consciousness; to consistency in your own practice, for your own benefit.)

11 Responses to “Seven Steps to Happiness”

1. Apaar Singh says:

I know this is totally random but I didn’t want to post this on the main discussion board b/c it would lead to a long pointless discussion.

Anyway, why do most Sikhs who were influenced by Yogi Bhajan Singh have a higher respect for Guru Ram Das then other Guru’s? Obviously he was a great Guru, just like all of our gurus, but why single him out in any way different then other guru’s?

2. isingh says:

>>The commitment is to your own higher consciousness; to consistency in your own practice, for your own benefit…

what i really came here for was this: i don't understand what the above text means…

We as western sikhs don’t put any of the Guru’s ahead of another. We believe that they all carry the same light. The Siri Singh Sahib Ji spoke highly of every Guru. Guru Ram Das just happened to be the one he personally connected with most. Guru Ram Das also carries healing energy which is attractive to many Western Sikhs.

The throne of Raj Yog was passed to Guru Ram Das. (The throne of Yoga was passed to him by Baba Siri Chand) making him appeal to those who practice this ancient art. As Western Sikhs many were drawn through this lifestyle through Yoga and the beauty of Sikhism flowed from there. We believe, and I’m sure all of our Eastern brothers & sisters do too, that every Guru embodied certain qualities more then others because that was what the circumstance dictated. Though each Guru carried the same light, each symbolized distinctive aspects of God.

4. Satkirin Kaur Khalsa says:

We have the most respect for Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

I would like to speak for “the most Sikhs” that you are referring too.

All of our ten Guru’s embody, to this day, the cumulitive light of God in Siri Giri Granth Sahib AND in Sadh Sangat.

There is no higher or lower respect for any Guru. Simply, the portal of Guru Ram Das is a widely used access conduit to experience Wahe guru.

5. isingh says:

apaar singh ji, i think your question was answered.

i wanted to point out that there are people in this world who follow just Guru Nanak ji. and it’s funny you point this out because i always wondered why in most sikh houses and local gurdwaras i visited in india you only see two gurus’ pics (Guru Nanak and Guru Gobind Singh Ji) and often Guru Tegh Bahadur was also mixed in those two pictures. and i never understood that to this day. i know there’s a good explanation for this practice too…

6. isingh, my guess would be that most people hear about Guru Nanak and Guru Gobind Singh. They are the ones that get the most “media coverage” so many don’t know about the other Sikh Gurus.

7. Apaar Singh says:

Thanks everyone for your answers & comments it was very helpful.
    I totally understand the idea of a personal connection with a guru, b/c they all have unique qualities.

8. Hari Singh says:

The message is the same – what name you prefer is entirely up to you – The light within the eleven lantern is exactly the same – whether you prefer Nanak, Angad, Amar Das, Ram Das, Arjan, Har Gobind, Har Rai, Har Krishan, Tegh Bahadur, Gobind Singh or just Granth is up to you. But please make sure you have made a choice!

9. Guruka Singh says:

Apaar Singh Ji – I can only speak for myself. My most personal experiences have been with Guru Ram Das. I had a vision of him before I knew I was a Sikh. He has personally guided me and protected me and my experiences of him at Darbar Sahib are beyond words to express. So it is just a personal experience. Each of our Gurus embodied a special quality that was unique, and Guru Ram Das was the embodiment of humility and love. All these qualities are rolled up into SGGS Ji. Perhaps many of us have this special relationship with Guru Ram Das because of the Sodhi line and the throne of Raj Yog (Raj Yog Takhat Dhayan)since this was Yogiji’s line. I dunno. I can only speak from my own experience.

10. Jaspal says:

“..Guru Ram Das because of the Sodhi line and the throne of Raj Yog (Raj Yog Takhat Dhayan)since this was Yogiji’s line..”

Can you tell me more about this? What is “Sodhi line”, what is Raj Yog, Siri Chand? Wasn’t he Guru Nanak devs son?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
    Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh,

Guruka Singh,

I was just wondering what you meant by this:
    “Sodhi line and the throne of Raj Yog (Raj Yog Takhat Dhayan)since this was Yogiji’s line”

What do you mean since this was YogiJi’s line? Do you mean Yogi Bhajan’s lineage?

Thanks for answering.