Bhai Fauja Singh

This month I posted many old pictures from the mid 1970’s of Western Sikhs first interacting with Sikhs in India. It has been very interesting and inspiring for many to look back and see these images from the past. Many people were particulary interested in pictures of Bhai Fauja Singh and requested that I put some more online.

My mother reminded me of an old “Beads of Truth” magazine from 1978 which was dedicated to Bhai Fauja Singh and the events of Baisakhi 1978. I was able to scan and OCR the content from the magazine and post it all online for everyone to read through.

Please keep in mind that this was published almost 30 years ago and was from the perspective of the western Sikhs in America.

I did my best to include everything, though I am sure there are mistakes on my part in dealing with the OCR software and placement of images/text. I did leave out some images (of the faces/bodies of those Sikhs who died that Basaikhi) which I thought might be too much for younger children to see.

In any case, It is a learning experience for me, reading the letters and articles about his life and his interaction with my parents generation. I hope this was a worthwhile effort putting this information online to share with everyone.

Here is the address to read the articles:

(ok…now time to get some sleep. It’s way too late!)

16 Responses to “Bhai Fauja Singh”

sardar gurmustak singh ji, do you speak punjabi on daily basis or english at home? you did your high school from india, how well can you read and write…just curious. never seen yet any western sikh who i could chat in punjabi.

waheguru tera shukar hai!!

thank you so much for the fauja singh page. waheguru! god bless!!!

WOW what an inspirational being, thankyou Gurumustuk for posting this info, a great insight to what a GurSikh should be

4. isingh says:

thank you for your hardwork Gurumustak! looks great, i can see that lot of thought went into designing the blog (FaujaSingh) with the signature and then have to deal with text from the OCR program. it’s not just the content but you “make it look good” too and that’s what differentiates Sikhnet from others.

we really appreciate it. much, much thanks for shedding some light on a forgotten subject.

sincerely,
    -isingh

really amazing seva. Thank you so much!

Does anyone know how/ why did the “Narankari” group started?

gurumustuk singh ji i understand you don’t want to post the shaheed pictures for good reasons but perhaps you can scan their faces as we could have darshan of their shaheedi suroop as they are inspiration to us all?

That link, if you click on the shahid you get life story and picture of shahidi saroop (most not all though)

9. TO: 12:35 AM, July 28, 2005, Anonymous.

>>Do you speak punjabi on daily >>basis or english at home?

I speak primarily English. I do speak ok Hindi/Punjabi, but don’t get much practice anymore now that I am no longer in India. You need people to talk to every day to keep the language.

>>you did your high school from
    >>india, how well can you read and
    >>write…

I can read Punjabi pretty well. I can’t really write that well. I learnt Hindi in school also but I have forgotten how to read most hindi.

>>just curious. never seen yet any
    >>western sikh who i could chat in
    >>Punjabi.

Many of the studends who went to school in India can speak Punjabi pretty well. Especially now that their school is In Amritsar. When I was in school there it was in Mussoorie and Dehradun (UP) so most people spoke English or Hindi.

OMG!! in UP. Are you a survivor (1984 anti sikh pogroms)?

Thanks Gurumustak for your hardword with sharing the picture and the content.

Very good work, it reminded me off the past i had burried deep. I saw everyone involved back in 80s, but don’t see our current King Badal.

13. Prabhu Singh says:

The Bhai Fauja Singh page is really good. I read every bit of it yesterday and learned a lot. He was a really great man.

14. Manjit Singh says:

Thank you for posting this page! Being young at that time, a lot of these events just passed by me. This is a great insight into important events in the history of Sikhs, Punjab and India. I know it won’t be covered in the school textbooks since they only cover shallow feel good, look good stuff. It inspires me to even work harder to learn and practise Sikh way of life, teach and inspire others to be good Sikhs and keep all the positive spirit that helps keep the Sikhism going thru centuries.

15. ranbir singh says:

thanks for this vast information.i was in grade 9 then.all i remember was that we stopped doing fireworks on diwali.i myself had some doubts about s harbhajan singhji but reading bhai fauja singhji’s views they are gone.

16. Apaar Singh says:

Unbelievable pictures, I am sharing this page with all of my friends sikh and non-sikh alike. Gurmustak singh ji please continue sharing these types of things with us.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa