Yogi Bhajan Critics

I am always disheartened when people go way out of their way to attack and make criticism of Siri Singh Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa (AKA: Yogi Bhajan). In most of the cases this is from people who know nothing (or very little) about 3HO and Yogi Bhajan. All they see is so called “cult expert” websites and unsuccessful lawsuits that were filed by “ex-3ho” people and take this as the truth.

I have grown up and been raised as a Sikh and Yogi Bhajan was like a grandfather/teacher for me. I have seen quite a lot and it has all been quite inspiring, for myself and countless other. I have also seen situations which might give a light into why some people get angry at Yogi Bhajan, and their way of retaliation is to slander and make accusations.

This really goes back to what I am constantly battling with. Which is how people tend to always focus on the negative, or make something negative. This is the case for all things…not just related to Yogi Bhajan. It’s when people look at me and others and try to nit-pick at things and find something wrong. As if it is too good to be true.

One observation that I have found that in my personal life is this. When I am having a hard time in my life, am angry, irritated, or disconnected spiritually, that I tend to see that in everything that I do. So if I am feeling that way I start picking at what others are doing and thinking negative thoughts about whatever the situation. I realized that it is not really something wrong with the other person, but it is a reflection of myself and what is going on internally with me. This observation has helped me be more conscious of things and react differently to others.

Now when I see someone that calls me a towel head, or criticizes me, or is hurtful to someone, I can have a compassion and understanding for that person, rather than think that they are a “bad” person. I realize that this person must be having a hard time in their life, and as a result is doing certain things.

We can try to dig up the past about Yogi Bhajan and show all kinds of court documents and websites that have anti-3HO/YB comments, however let us not be blinded by just focusing on those, and look at the thousands and thousands of people that he has helped, literally changing their lives in a positive way. It is such a small number of people that are making these accusations compared to the impact he had on people in this world. I personally would give more weight to the overwhelming accomplishments impact that he had than the few people who make these accusations. I have noticed that the more I become in the public eye, the more I am criticized. It’s just part of being in the public. Just think of what the president of the USA gets..or any major public figure.

I REALLY don’t want to start a whole debate on this. It is so draining energy wise and I think our time and energy is better used in other ways. You don’t have to believe anything or agree with me or anyone. Let’s just be kind to each other and give us the benefit of the doubt.

Make your opinions based on what YOU see and experience in real life. See what we do as Sikhs. Come visit some of the different sangats/communities. Take the time to learn for yourself, before assuming anything. Open your mind!

Ps. The Title of “Siri Singh Sahib” was given to him by the Akal Takhat and was not something that we just made up and started calling him.

*Sigh* What a way to start a Monday….

36 Responses to “Yogi Bhajan Critics”

that's very interesting. i had no idea that that's how it was for the "foreigners".

on a seprate note i don't know how your parents or you're (or anyone else who sends their kids away) going to do it without narayan. and he doesn't even have discipline problems! :) it must be the toughest thing to do. i know my wife would kill me if i mentioned the mere thought of sending our kid away even if it means that the sacrifice will be rewarded.

and ohh we extend our daughter's hand for narayan for marriage. i'll send the pics later (like in 20 years when she'll be twenty-one). she's a bit agressive, stubborn (like her mom) and loves to socialize. she's a libra! which means they're quiet but vocal when it's time to be. she has her own blog but i forget the address now…(honestly)…

again thanks for blogging! but this blog is getting in my way to sikhnet!

on a lighter note since you are famous now…why dont you try gubernatorial nomination next time!

3. I don’t like poolitics. I would rather continue the work at SikhNet and do community service.

Way more fun!!

learn to ignore grasshoppa! i know it’s hard. i too have heard bad things about yogi bhajan but i don’t just assume it’s true. and neither should anyone with any common sense who’s never met the man.

i’ve never even come close to meeting yogi bhajan but i know enough to not just believe in everything that is thrown at someone successful as he was.

one criticism of you…i guess you have to be divine to not get mad at some of the posts. i know i’d be super furious and hunt down the culprit and smack him upside his head.

BUT…your tone should be more educating than of frustration and trust me all the revelations in this post were probably all new to the people who criticized yogi bhajan.

anyways sorry if i sound condescending (see, i don’t even konw how to spell it). i really don’t mean to but ‘really like your work and your blog and don’t want you to feel that the critical posts are anything other than anomolies…you’re probly the “marsha!! marsha!! marsha!!!!” of the young sikh community.

peace!

5. marsha marsha marsha says:

forgot my smiley again after the “marsha marsha marsha” (from brady bunch)…
    :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Just like children are a reflection of their parents, so too is the greatness of Yogiji reflected in the American Sikh community. One can’t praise Gurumustuk and all the great work he is doing and not realize that none of this would have been made possible without the existance of a man named Yogiji.

7. I always try to stay clear and neutral, however it can be challenging sometimes. It pushes buttons in me, because I have been dealing with people making these types of accusations ever since I started SikhNet. I used to get some pretty HEAVY emails from people and I won’t mention the content.

I prefer to not give energy to these situations. There is only so much you can do to educate people. By responding to these types of accusations just leads things into a never ending spiral nowhere. There can be no real conclusion. We can talk all day about what we think is true or not. In the end, nothing can be changed. We have to look forward and focus on the now.

ps. I definitely don’t mind constructive criticism. It is great to get positive input to help better myself. It is the closeminded criticism that I don’t like because no matter what you tell the person they won’t think differently.

thanks gurumustak!
    i’ve been meaning to ask you if you ever had the opportunity to meet any of the bhinderanwalas (i hate spelling it this way…pronounced pinderanwala) it would’ve been either jarnail or kartar singh?

And how did the troubled times in punjab 82-92 affect your travels/travel plans to/in punjab?

9. I don’t know if I ever met any of the bhinderanwalas. I was pretty young so do not remember much about who I met. Maybe my mother knows.

I went once when In 1979 and then in 1983 when we first came to go to school in India. However our school was in Mussoorie, UP which was well away from Punjab. When the events of 1984 happened it was too dangerous to travel near Punjab and foreigners were not allowed anyways. It wasn’t untill many years later that we were able to return to Punjab.

in a calander i had, i saw a picture of Baba Jarnail Singh Bhinderanwale with Yogi Bhajan (im definately sure it was him) sitting next to him and lots of sangat in the back.

But the calander is long gone, so too is the picture

i’v always wondered what Yogi Bhajan thought of the events building upto 1984.

do american sikhs support the plight of the victims of 1984 *the whole panth was affected…. do they also support Khalistan…. it is much needed because sikhs are getting abducted left and right and unable to practice their religion in an autonomous fashion? The only solution to the crooked indian government? all our sikh brothers are getting killed, sisters raped, what do we do as a united panth?

12. Regarding 1984 You can read some perspectives and a lecture that was given about the events.

thats total nonsense.things are much better in punjab now..
    please post images on your blog from white house site of manmohan singh and other sikhs..
    its a real proud day for sikhs.

14. kiran says:

hi

i think all the work that you at Sikhnet does you alot of credit and me too when reading it…i too find some of stuff of Yogi Bhangan very enlightening and moving!!!! i dont find it to be negative in anyway what so ever. The people who choose to say something negative have not much else going on in their life and so have to find somebody else’s to talk about..

i have a saying that i go by ” its better to be talked about then to be ignored” so if in the future you are critized for anything, take the oppotunity to think about it a positive way… because it shows you have touched someone’s life in some way… and you sunshine should be proud of that!!

other then that i have nothing else to say except that to keep up the good work, say hi to the wife and littlen….

ps this blooger gives me a good insight into how other Sikh people live around the world!!!

kiran from London

15. Hari Singh Khalsa says:

I’ve never written on Sikhnet or this blog before although my twin brother, Prabhu, is known to be quite active. I know the subject of this string is “Yogi Bhajan”, but the issue of Khalistan has been raised. I thought I would share my thoughts on Khalistan again for the benefit of the sangat and myself. I first posted these thoughts on Sikhpal, but unfortunately, received minimal response.

I was inspired to repost my thoughts after reading the following: “what do we do as a united panth?”. I realized that I listed many of my ideas and solutions, and that they basically widdle down to being a “united panth.” Once we achieve this, our problems should be solved.

To avoid an excessively long post I will actually follow this post with another containing my original sikhpal post.

16. Hari Singh Khalsa says:

I can’t say that I am pro or anti Khalistan, but I am pro Khalsa Spiritual Nation. The Khalsa Spiritual Nation that I speak of should encompass all the people of the world. Why should we be limited to such a small piece of geography when we believe that the lifestyle and teachings of the Gurus would benefit the entire planet? Every Khalsa should be a member of this nation before they are anything else. I am certainly Khalsa before I am American. I, and every Sikh should be, bound to God and moral responsibility before they are bound to the laws of the land they reside in, even if they are somehow in conflict.

I woke up this morning thinking about Khalistan and thought that if it did exists, none of the events of 1984 would have occurred and the human rights abuses in Punjab would likely not have taken place and continue to take place. However, if it did exist today and it was run by the current Sikh leaders of India, it would be a disaster. There is so much internal politics (vying for power), backstabbing, and corruption that nothing would ever get done.

In and ideal world, no countries would be based on a religion, even the Sikh religion and as Sikhs it is our duty to strive for ideals. If you did create a country in which the government was a Sikh government, who would be allowed to live there? and what would be the definition of a Sikh? If only amrit dhari Sikhs would be allowed to live in Khalistan, then wouldn’t this be discrimination? which is strictly forbidden by the Gurus. If all religions were allowed but it was still considered a Sikh state, would the minorities have a say? If not, wouldn’t this be oppression? If they do have a say, and they oppose the government being tied to a religion, shouldn’t we respect this. Our Gurus never said this is the only path, therefore a Sikh government would be an oxymoron. In a country founded by Sikhs, populated by Sikhs and operated by Sikhs, the government must still be secular to respect the teachings of our gurus.

A secular government is what India claims to be, just as the other countries which house the majority of Sikhs outside of India. So by this logic we really don’t need Khalistan, because we already have it, at least in words and ideals. If Khalistan were declared it would have the same fundamental laws as all the other non-secular democracies of the world and would probably resemble India more than any other country. Most people, including those who are pro-Khalistan know this, therefore the only argument people have is that Khalistan would implement the ideals better. For the most part people want Khalistan because they don’t want Sikhs to have to endure the same injustices they have been enduring since the creation of India and this is quite understandable.

I believe, however, that as Sikhs we can find or create our own justice. Sikhs can continue to migrate outside of India to countries who have never targeted Sikhs for genocide (the US and Canada, for instance), if they feel this is there best option. Or Sikhs can start building their own nation within India. Sikhs are the most empowered people of any of the largest world religions. Our gurus made it VERY CLEAR that we do NOT need any human to interpret God for us. This makes us all individually empowered. It’s time to stop placing faith in our leaders and all become leaders ourselves. Manmohan Singh is a great man from what I know, but I seriously doubt he will begin an independent investigation into Operation Blue Star, or have the Congress leaders who participated in the Delhi riots brought to justice.

Sikhs are already more powerful, smarter and wealthier than the rest of India. The Sikhs should be so well organized that they can bring India to its knees if their needs aren’t met. India would starve without the food grown by Sikhs in India. Meaning Sikhs should be controlling this market, instead of producing more than the year before and getting paid less and going further into debt. This is one of the principles Bindranwale understood and this is what India fears. India would try to suppress a movement like this and that’s what the genocide was really all about. But we should be smart enough to circumvent India. As a Khalsa Spiritual Nation we should be able to make India inconsequential. For starters make this a grass roots movement with so many leaders, on equal footing that the Indian government can’t kill a Bindranwale and silence the movement. Next have different approaches instead of just instantly making a threat to withhold Punjab’s goods and services from India.

These are the steps we need to take before bringing India to its knees: We need to get rid of the caste system which is still somehow mind-blowingly plaguing the Sikhs. We need to ensure no Sikh is in a struggle for survival, don’t just take care of yourself take care of your neighbor and their neighbor. If you are a land owner and you employ Sikhs to work your lands, pay them a wage so that they can become land owners too some day, and if this is not possible share your land with them. Stop producing crops which deplete the water table, which require fertilizers and pesticides that pollute the environment, and stop producing crops for profit. Sikhs should grow diverse crops that can feed themselves and then sell the excess. Every Sikh should be given a standard minimal education and have the opportunity to reach the highest levels of education before ever having to support themselves or their family (this can be done). Step up support groups, so that one family can grow the food that all families in the group need to survive while the others pursue education and entrepreneurial endeavors. Have faith in god and your support group, that all your needs will be met, and there is no need for greed or hoarding of goods. People are greedy and backstab and vie for power because they are afraid of having nothing, Guru Gobind Singh said that we should have no fear. Never get into debt and help others to get out of debt. If people need credit they should get it from a Sikh with little or no interest. Stop eating meat, fried foods excessively, and drinking alcohol (you’d think this would be obvious). Do a daily sadhana or a some kind of routine which keeps all Sikhs in the nation as fits as warriors and as spiritual as saints. Elevate the status of women to the same as men. Ensure your daughters/sisters/mothers get the same education or more as your sons/brothers/fathers. No Sikh woman should ever need a man (even a Sikh man) to survive. How can we truly be empowered if half our population is forcefully made ignorant? Basically follow the lifestyle the Gurus prescribed, help others to do so, and teach others to help others to do so (this is seva).

If Sikhs in India can solve these hurdles, then we are ready to have Khalistan, but then Khalistan will have been made redundant, and we won’t need it. Then India will never be allowed to discriminate against Sikhs or manipulate Sikhs or misrepresent Sikhs, because Sikhs will be too powerful to allow it.

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa
    Whahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh

-Hari Singh Khalsa

ohh geezie peezie! gosh!!! i’m sorry gurumustak. i can’t say i didn’t know/play dumb…but was hoping it wouldn’t become a discussion on VOLDEMORT!!! i just asked because my dad always said that kartar singh was a great man. sorry sorry sorry sorryhow stupid of me…’should’ve just emailed you instead but thought that others might find your experiences interesting too…i’m not opposing voldemort(because i’m calling it voldemort) or supporting voldemort but i didn’t want it to become the topic of a discussion here..let’s take it over to sikhnet and i’ll come and join you ( i promise )…c’mon let’s go over to sikhnet…that’s what it’s for (the discussion forum)…and bring your facts and stats too…c’mon…you’ll be surprised what i have to say on this topic. i put moulder to shame! ;)

hari singh, that’s a pretty well thought out essay. post your email address. please!

19. PLEASE add your name when you write a comment. It is hard to know who is who.

I should probably disable the anonymous comments so that at least people who are serious will register for a username and password and be indentified as someone other than Anonymous.

The very least add your name to the bottom.

Thanks

20. Hari Singh Khalsa says:

My email address is [email protected]

I’m the person doing the reverse dunk on GMS’s blog on Saturday.

Guru Mustuk, there are three options under “Choose an identity”, if you disable “anonymous” please leave “other”. I think it is very nice to be able to post somewhere without having to sign up first, and if I had had to sign up I would have been discouraged from posting today, because I’m very busy at work and only had a short break.

21. The only options are “Only registered users” or “Anyone”. So…we’ll just have to encourage people to choose the “other” option and type in their name or sign the name at the bottom of the message.

22. isingh/(voldemort comment) says:

sorry gurumustak, i’m the culpirit (on these last few posts). yeah, i also agree with hari…but this aint democracy. it’s your blog you can do whatever you want but this blog is way too addictive!

-isingh

23. K Singh says:

Hari Singh you give a good argument and i agree with you, provided Sikhs in UK, Canda, US, India etc stand united under the Nishan Sahib we would already have Khalistan, not an actual country but within our hearts.

My question is what about the genocide committed against the Sikhs; Operation Bluestar, Delhi & after? How will justice be served. As every year passes more and more evidence is being lost, the people affected are going to pass away.

What justice can we expect from India in the future when our own (Mahmohan Singh) aren’t prepared to get justice while in power.

I am just wondering why western siks wear white dastar. Also I want to know how often did Yogi Bhajan visited Punjab. Furthermore, I want to know if Yogi Bhanjan had his yogo traning from India or where in India.
    Who was the first western Sikh.
    How many western sikhs are there in the world.

25. Hari Singh Khalsa says:

K Singh,

I agree that Operation Blue Star and the Dheli riots were genocide and that no justice has been served. But justice will never be served until we unite. It has to be on every Sikhs agenda to receive justice for what happened, and we must do what we can to organize. There are some Sikhs who will never see Bhindranwale as anything but a terrorist and are willing to accept the Indian government’s propoganda that the casualties of 84 were acceptable. They need to be shown the eveidence, along with all like-minded non-Sikhs.

We need to collect all the evidence that we do have and all the testimony still available and catalog and duplicate it and this needs to be done in conjunction with lawyers who know what will be admissible in common courts of laws and who can advise those collecting the evidence. Then with a central repository of evidence it needs to be placed in a public forum, like the internet, so that everyone can access it and use it. Then we need to start a concentrated public relations and media compaign in all the contries in which we reside.

In the compaign we must let it be known what we are fighting for and what we will do to bring about justice. During this compaign we must go from door to door, educating people about our cause, showing them the evidence, and signing them on.

Then with the support that we have we will take our case to every court in every land that will hear it. And if some refuse to hear it, stall or deal further injustices, then we will act in all the ways we identified during our compaign. Sikhs in India will not place their bread in India’s breadbasket, Sikhs in the US, UK and Canada, will ensure that all of a judge’s or congressman’s constiuents hear about the injustices and their representative’s roadblocks towards seeking justice. We will be involved in civil disobedience and organize and march everyday, in front of Government buildings and Courthouses.

If we can achieve all of this justice will have to be served. We can achieve this, the first step is believing we can (this is where I am), the next step is uniting, the third step is organizing, and the final step is participating.

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa,
    Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh,
    Hari Singh Khalsa

26. Gurmustuk,
    I usually follow your blog but had to give me views regarding the topic.

You don’t have to worry abt what ppl say abt Yogi Bhajan. Although I don’t follow the ways he taught, neither I have any interest, but that doesn’t means I have bad feelings for him. I think some ppl live by doing the “Ninda” of distinguished people. May be it’s one of the trait Guruji blessed us. I know one thing for fact, most of the distinguished personalities in Sikhism, all have to live with the criticism. I can assure you Yogi Bhajan didn’t go through what Saints from Rara Sahib, Ludhiana and Ratara Sahib had to go through.

So my view is just ignore these people and their view and plz don’t give them space on ur blog..keep up the good work..

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
    Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!!!!!

Hari Singh Khalsa,

I think these links might be a good place to start in the realm of legal action for the victims.

Jaskaran Kaur is a leading human rights lawyer and she has done a lot of documenting check her out at:

28. K Singh says:

Hari Singh, again i agree with what you say. Maybe abit idealistic but we should have something to aim to.

When it comes to approaching your MP’s to take a stand about the genocide, they ususally say, we don’t want to offend our Hindu constituents.

Sad but true.

Every year protests happen in Central London, in 2004 about 15-20,000 Sikh took part (with an astonishing amount of youth) very little, if any coverage was given by the media.

Sadly i couldn’t make it that year because i had exams but i did go this year and as a result of seeing so much passion of the youth, really brought me back into Sikhi.

I have often wondered what 3ho Sikhs thought of the genocide, my ignorance lead me to believe you just didn’t care, bhaji im glad you proved me wrong.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
    Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

29. Turbo says:

At the risk of becoming unpopular, it may interesting/enlightning to hear what Sardar
    Khushwant Singh has to say on the Bhindranwale. Below I quote two paragraphs from his book ‘My
    Bleeding Punjab’(UBSPD Publishers, 1992, isbn 81-85674-20-5):

“According to The Statesman of 22 May 1989 criminals who murdered Dr
    Ravinder Ravi, writer and professor, in Patiala had four other names
    on their hit list: Playwright Gurcharan Singh Arshi, Editor of Nawan
    Zamana, CPI leader Jagjit Singh Anand, novelist Kulbir Kang, and
    myself. Although I have put my name last, I am apparently on the top
    of this mini hit list. According to the All India Sikh Students
    Federation, the Khalistan Commando Force and Khalistan Liberation
    Force, our heads are to roll because of our “anti-Sikh writings.”

I think it is time these killers were told in plain language what is
    and what is not anti-Sikh. At the risk of being accused of indulging
    in self praise, I will start with myself. What the English-speaking
    world knows of the Sikhs, their religion, history and their
    achievements is largely through my books published in America and
    England. All the entries on Sikhism in the Encyclopaedia Britannica
    are mine. I, more than nay other person, am called upon by foreign
    radio and television networks for comments on events in the Punjab,
    particularly regarding the Sikhs. I have never made myself out to be
    a man of religion but zealously retain my Sikh identity and am
    emotionally involved in the Sikh fortunes. I condemned Bhindrawale
    because I regarded him as anti-Sikh; I condemned Operation Bluestar
    because I regarded it as anti-Sikh and anti-nation. I condemn
    terrorism because killing innocent people is condemned by our Gurus
    as a sin. I make no distinction between Hindu and Sikh victims of
    violence: my heart goes out to the widows and children who have been
    deprived of their bread-earners and I do the little I can do for
    them. I know our Gurus would approve of that. I oppose Khalsitan
    because I know it will spell disaster for the Sikh community as well
    as the country. There is nothing anti-Sikh about any of this.”

Just because I have quoted Kushwant Singh does not mean I agree with his viewpoint.

Waheguru

30. Turbo says:

Perhaps Sikhs should take a leaf from the way the Jews have chronicled the holocaust when they suffered under the Nazis. They have not only documented, but have also used the latest technology to record using eye-witness accounts and their feelings.

We should be collecting/creating video film evidence, photographics,eye-witness accounts, written accounts, official documents, etc to comprehensively record and make available all the information. Let us not be lax on this matter – it is up to us to ensure that we have the necessary facts and evidence, so that when in 10 or 20 years time when the Indian Authorities will undoubtedly want to re-write the history of this period, we are in a position to challenge and refute.

This link gives an insight how Jews have undertaken the task of documenting the holocaust:

The link below takes you to a site about a monument in Los Angeles erected to honour the memory of the six million who were murdered in the Nazi barbarism between 1933 and 1945. The info states that the monument was “the culmination of some 25 years of planning and preparation”

31. Oh God, so many comments and far too intellectual for me, Hari Singh, yours was loooong but very well written, GMS Jee, your blog is an inspiration (do I sound like a parrot?) don’t let negativity affect you, even though I know it probably won’t. GurFateh.

32. thank you hari singhji says:

hi people,
    so interesting to read your thoughts on op bluestar and delhi genocide.

being a delhiite , its all the more interesting. i was few months old than and my parents dont discuss too much of it. they fear i would become pro-khalistani . it is all the more destructive cos throughout my life i have been the target for some pretty disparaging racist attacks. oh hell one time it got so serious i had to fight my way out of it . and the shocking thing was that i was just in my early teens and these were the kids from my own residential area. it is so traumatic .

hari singhji, what you wrote was poetry , so beautiful and ever so true.
    i have my own reasons
    i guess the people of delhi are from mostly business backgrounds and were weak and not united . if we had the kind of spirit and the resilience of what “existed” than in punjab,it would have been different. i often wonder how we havent been able to ward those ugly times away.

i may not articulate well but i have alot to say. coming back to racism , anti-sikh to the core,which still exists in delhi, i would say that we live on borrowed time . and i truly believe that.

why?? it so happens that we arelosing our identity. we hardly converse in punjabi ..and that really doesnt help. it is considered low class to talk in punjabi. i know not of any hindu punjabis who have normal talk in punjabi and hardly any of younger sikh gen does that .the language is the soul of sikhism. when you lose your faith it is so natural your will become the hunted. cohesion gone, you live on borrowed language . you are the minority of the minority.

secondly why is our history being ignored. an instance , anglo-sikh wars, shahadat of guru tegh bahadur are just 2 examples. nobody knows about this …and hell these disgruntled cow worshippers go gaga over mangal pandey.

and the most potent point. manmohan singh or man as indian media has dubbed him is a liberal to the core. he aint here to do justice .thank god he has maintained his identity. dont ask no more . the fellow’s extended family is not sikh. his daughters dont like to attach kaur with their names and are so ABCD. he has never spoken of 84 genocide , never in 84. to expect anything from him is just delayed disappointment . he is a good human being but no more.

but hope is never gone. i hope he meets with the sikh leaders in US.
    on the flip side i agree with every point that HARI SINGH KHALSA made . is khalistan possible … repercussions are real ,than again look at pakistan

33. Hari Singh Khalsa says:

I myself have had to endure racists attacks against myself and my identity, and that is why I believe so strongly in the wisdom of the Guru and the truth of the Khalsa panth. With each attack against me my resolve only became stronger, to stay true to the ideals of Khalsa. If we didn’t have such a separate and distinct identity then others would not be able to find us and would not bother us, but they would also not be able to ask for our help. The Guru did not give us this identity in times of peace from the very beginning we were marked for persecution simply because of the way we looked. The Guru knew that our identity could bring us trouble but mandated that we live in Chardi Kalaa. Why did the Guru do this? Because the guru knew that by presenting us with challenges that we would have no choice but to be fearless and accept who we really are no matter what we face or we could become cowards and slither away.
    With the security we have in our identity comes contentment and acceptance of the will of god. This is how so many Sikhs went happily to their deaths at the hands of tyrants all while chanting Gurbani.
    You are young, as indicated in your post, and clearly passionate. I share that passion with you, I think every Sikh who has faced persecution is passionate and not satisfied with the current state of affairs. But we must always use our passion in conjunction with our minds and spirit and reflect on the Guru’s teachings for our guidance. It is easy to become angry with the world and the majority in your land or even your own community for being the cause of the injustice, but it is whether you allow the anger to consume you or how you act upon the anger that truly determines if you are Khalsa.
    Take faith in Waheguru, and understand that everything is within the will and plan of God, then act according to your ideals which have been provided to you by the Guru. Does it change your commitment to the Guru, if your neighbor’s don’t even know about Guru Tegh Bahadur? Will you spend less time reflecting on Gurmat, because the society around you does not speak, or looks down upon, Punjabi? Will you not help a Hindu in need simply because he worships a cow or believes in Mangal Pandey? If you answer yes to this question then I don’t think you understand what Seva is and what our mission as Khalsa is.
    I hold a personal belief that the most destructive forces on the planet today come from people who claim to be evangelical christians. As I write this I am sitting within inches of one (an evangelical Christian), whom I’ve grown quite fond of. My belief is founded in the actions of leaders in his community and how they interpret their doctrine. I cannot discriminate against him or denigrate him simply because I disagree with his leaders or his beliefs. What I can do, and have done, is engage him in conversation and we can reach a common understanding. Since I have met him he has changed his views on the war in Iraq, he has learned who Sikhs are and what we believe in. He has even expressed to me that while maintaining the belief that homosexuality and abortions are a sin, he must have tolerance towards people that believe otherwise. I have learned from him that while he believes in this mythical rapture like his leaders, he still believes that we should be good stewards of the environment and its ecology. So basically all the elements of his community that I find destructive he has renounced.
    Now do you think we could have reached this understanding if I had told him he was a “bible-thumping intolerant who goes gaga over Bush�? This would be equivalent to “disgruntled cow worshippers [who] go gaga over mangal pandey.� I’m not trying to censure you, for making these remarks, I’m just trying to say that I believe it is these kind of comments and this kind of mentality that leads to the line of thinking that Khalistan is the only way. And if people who focus on the faults of others rather than serve-selflessly (seva) while reserving judgment are the founders of Khalistan, then what an intolerant place it will be and what a disgrace it will be for all Khalsa.

34. “Thus, the slanderer crumbles away.

This is the distinctive sign – listen, O Siblings of Destiny: he collapses like a wall of sand.

When the slanderer sees a fault in someone else, he is pleased. Seeing goodness, he is depressed.

Twenty-four hours a day, he plots, but nothing works. The evil man dies, constantly thinking up evil plans.

The slanderer forgets God, death approaches him, and he starts to argue with the humble servant of the Lord.

God Himself, the Lord and Master, is Nanak’s protector. What can any wretched person do to him? ” – Bilaaval, Fifth Mehl (Guru Arjan Dev ji) – Page 823

35. Sat Sri Akal;
    I often pondered and wracked my heart and soul about Khalistan. First that is a decision of Sikhs in Panjab. Second, Khalistan may or may not have something to do with Sikhi, but fighting tyranny does. Hundreds of thousands were killed , Amnesty International said 250,00 went missing. Any people has the right and possibly the moral duty to seperate from a state that kills them for what they are and form a state of their own. One of the functions of a state is protection. India did not protect Sikhs it killed them. So Sikhs have a right to form a state for their own protection. This is a natural and as we Americans say an inalienable right.

36. Mohinder says:

Amnesty International said 250,00 went missing did it? i have never been able to find that statement. I have seen 20,000. Either way it is a large unacceptible number. Raj Karega Khalsa is in the minds and actions of Sikhs not in a political state. I have great suspicions of what this Khalistan would amount to. I do not believe it would be a solution and some of those who call for it would dirty the name of Sikhi.