Drama, TV and Excitement

It seems that most love to have controversy and drama in their life. As if it is needed to make life more interesting and worthwhile. Or fill the void in people’s lives. These topics in this blog keep popping up and then everyone jumps on it. I know the TV networks know this…Because they pump it out like crazy trying to boost their ratings. Fanning the flames of fear, spreading gossip, TV shows that have a lot of relationship drama, fighting, politics, live shows of police and violence. It’s too much for me. I don’t bother watching TV or the news anymore. I pretty much stick to watching movies of my choice. Every time I watch the news it just drags you down and is the same old thing (at least here in the USA). It’s no wonder people discriminate against Sikhs and Muslims.

I used to feel bad every time I watched some show which told about how bad the environment was (End of the world!), and what bad things people/companies are doing in the world. It is easy to get caught up in the cycle of negativity and how “bad things are”. It can be very draining.

I have since changed my perspective on things. I choose to see the good in people’s lives and this world. There is so much that we can all do to make this world a better place. We just need to focus more on the positive side, and not feel like it is hopeless. You don’t want to wait till you lose your legs or something else to start appreciating what you have. We should take every moment we can to see the gifts and great things that God has given each and every one of us.

Complaining about something doesn’t help. My rule is that if you are complaining, you better be a part of the solution and be doing something the make a change.

Let’s look at what positive things we can do to better ourselves and our family. Be the change you wish to see in the world! Focus internally rather than externally at other people. God has given us valuable energy on this earth and it is up to us whether we use it in a positive or negative way.

Ok…..that’s all I have to say :)

Now off I go to read the new Harry Potter book. Don’t go causing trouble while I am gone! Ok? Hahaha :)

11 Responses to “Drama, TV and Excitement”

1. Thanks for exposing me to just a little bit of Sikhism. I live in Vancouver and there is a large Sikh community here. Sadly, I’ve been uneducated about your religion for most of my life.

Interestingly enough, you remind me of Chasids. I spent a portion of my college years amongst the Lubavitch Chasidim. It was a tough life, and I admire anyone who goes against popular culture in order to preserve their way of life.

2. xSHANTIx says:

Sat Nam u know Gurmustuk ur idea is crazy nuff to work :p

Gurumustak Jee!!
    such a nice thoughts.i strongly agree with you but if the other people are always in try to put you down and they are not nice towards you or think good for you then how would the positive attitude will work for those type of people and how would you thimk about them.please few line on this that’ll be greatly appreciated.because everytime i persoanly change my own thoughts soemthing like that happens and i feel myself again in the ditch old,bad thoughts about life and people in here.
    thank you….

4. isingh says:

one of my co-workers called in sick yesterday cuz he was up all night sunday reading harry potter (since saturday evening). he had a huge smile on his face when he told me that. i guess it was worth it. :) he’s in his late 30’s.
    -isingh

5. Well isingh, I wish I could have read the book more. There has been too much drama on this blog. Also, with all the time that I spend putting up stuff on the blog I have to balance it with some time with my family. Probably later on this week I’ll have read enough to get “stuck” in the book. :)

6. To Anonymous at 7:49 AM, July 19, 2005

Well I am still working on my “shield” to not be affected by people like this, however It still does. However I do try to look deeper into things. There is a reason why someone is hurtfull and goes out of their way to spread that. I try to see what their agenda is and what they may be trying to accomplish. To me this is just part of every day life dealing with other people. The more you can stay calm and centered in yourself, the better. Sure, it can get you down, but you can’t give up and give in to this the energy of these people. Then they have won and their purpose is served.

Meditation can help you a lot with staying calm and tuning into things deeper.

Gurumustuk…

I can understand how the negative energy of some people would weigh on you. I have to tell you though that seeing you, Arjan and Narayan living your lives as Sikhs is truly inspirational. There is so much love visible on this blog I find it disturbing that people are so willing to offer criticism. I understand that this is a window into your world and I want to thank you for sharing with us. It definitely has gone a long way to strengthening my faith in Waheguru. Please don’t let it get you down too much.

SSingh

8. Thank you SSingh for the words of encouragement. You hit it on the nail. It means a lot to me. Especially right now.

9. isingh says:

gurumustak, i think you spend less time on the content of this blog than taking care of the drama! which is kinda sad! it’s a BLOG short for WEB LOG, a personal journal/diary…but nooooooooo we have to be meddlesome. we can’t just look, we have to touch. :)

what’s interesting to me is that you’ve probly met so many people since sikhnet and have done business with quite a few people now for 8 years now and the only critical thing they(anyone) can say about you is your “funny looking” turban and of course the SSS comments (which have nothing to do with you as a person). and i have close friends that can say more bad stuff about me than that!

i’ve never met you but i’d say that makes you a pretty good person. don’t you think? :)

last post was really sweet but i’ve seen some other good ones here.

i’d say you gone done good gurumustak! :-))))

-isingh

10. Thanks isingh, though this blog isn’t really about me. My purpose isn’t to pump up my ego and flex spiritual muscles. It’s about sharing a different way of thinking and opening people’s eyes to step out of the box.

I really don’t know that many people. Everyone says I’m famous and everyone seems to know me, but I hardly travel and have the time to connect with people.

This is the first year I have traveled much. I am JUST now starting to network and get to know people better.

I’ll check back in a year or so…and we can see how I’m doing.

11. isingh says:

gurumustak, i think you’re pretty famous. let’s put it this way all the internet savy sikhs seem to know at least your name.

it was nice to see you and sandeep brar together. i always thought of him as our age but he looks a bit older. at one point sikhs.org had more info than sikhnet. i’m sort of glad that it’s “all” in one place(sikhnet) but at the same time wonder if it’s because not many tech savy fools like me had it in us to do something more.

if we can’t do it i think the least we can do is support(financially and with love) the brothers/sisters who can.

i was kinda sad to hear that your scanner broke.

i don’t mean to get all emotional about this but they say that there has never been a gurdwara plan (in punjab atleast) that never got built because i’ve seen the poorest of poorest farmers give. now it’s time to take that mindset to the 21st century and make our presence felt in the virtual world.

you guys have done such a good job with sikhnet that there’s nothing like this for any other religions(not that i’ve seen).

‘must go.