Do we as Sikhs have our priorities straight?

Ok…as you can probably tell… my brain juices are flowing and many thoughts are coming out. The previous post made me think more about some things relating to Sikhs and our direction.

When I think about Sikhs and the direction that we are going, I remember my days of school in India. One thing which I noticed was that the whole orientation of Indian families was very focused on studying really hard and going into a career that made a lot of money (doctors, lawyers, computer professionals, etc). It all seemed to revolve around worldly success and financial goals. I think this priority has left a big part out and has slowly skewed our direction and identity as Sikhs. I think it is great to be prosperous, and I see nothing bad with making a lot of money in some job. However, what I see is emptiness for many people because it is not balanced. The spiritual side of things is left as a lesser priority (if given any attention at all). So what we see now is lots of financially prosperous Sikhs, but who are poor spiritually. This direction I think has lead to less and less understanding and practice of Sikhi.

When the parents stop practicing being Sikhs the kids don’t get the connection to the Guru and thus the cycle has started. Slowly with each generation a little (or lot) of their connection to their roots as a Sikh is lost.

Ask yourself: What does it mean to me to be a Sikh? Spend some time to think about this. I think everyone should ask that question. Is it wearing a turban and going to Gurdwara? Is it thinking the Sikh Gurus were great and having a Guru Nanak picture on your wall? We each have a different answer depending on our experiences and how we relate to the Guru.

I was raised with the Guru being the center of my life. Everything that we did as a family revolved around being a spiritually conscious people trying to live the teachings of Nanak. I’m not trying to put myself on a pedestal and declare myself any better off than anyone else. I’m just sharing that I was raised with a very different focus. Money and financial success was never the main objective in my life. Everything that I did with love, service, and devotion gave me such inner satisfaction, that no amounts of money could give. To this day… everything that I really needed has come to me. I have an amazing wife who continues to inspire me with her devotion to the Guru. I have a beautiful energetic son who is really strong. I have a great house, cars, live around great people. Whenever there is something that we need….extra money come from somewhere. It is amazing! Sometimes my wife gets worried about money…and I remind her, "When have we ever had a problem with being taken care of?". When you give your head to the Guru he takes care of all your affairs. I can vouch for that!

"There are two ways of living in this world; the way of worry and the way of relaxation. If you worry, you have to concentrate to imagine, and it becomes physical work. But if you turn your mind to the Universal Mind, then things will come to you" – Yogi Bhajan

So…you can have a fat wallet…but if that is at the expense of not being happy and not living as the Gurus taught…then for me it is not worth it. All that is accumilated on this earth definitely will not go with you when you die. It is so easy to get caught up with Maya of this world.

My point of all this is that we as parents have to work harder at living the teachings of the Sikh Gurus. Setting an example that our children can learn from. We have to put more stress on the lifestyle and sacrifices that our previous generations made, so that we could be here as Sikhs today. Making your kids do banis or go to Gurdwara doesn’t cut it. They need to understand why they should be a Sikh and what is has to offer. They need an experience that helps them feel what is is all about. Being a Sikh is not an intellectual thing. Explanations will only go so far.

I am a father and this very challenge is on my shoulders too as I raise my son. I am definitely not perfect. I am constantly going through my personal internal battles trying to maintain a disciplined lifestyle as a Sikh. It’s not easy for anyone. All I know is that when I am disciplined and have a regular Sadhana that my life has soo much more joy and things flow easier. Sikhs have always faces hardship and challenge really well. We don’t have the same hardships as they did in the days of the Gurus. We have a whole different challenge which is mostly internal, within ourselves and our minds. Are you ready to take the challenge?

I’ll end with a quote to think about….

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. . . . Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, to be gorgeous, talented, and fabulous. Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that others won’t feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of God within us. And as we let our light shine, we consciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others." – Marianne Williamson

Ps. If you want to discuss this topic, I posted this message also on the SikhNet discussion forum.

9 Responses to “Do we as Sikhs have our priorities straight?”

what a quote… i am sitting here, shaking my head in disbelief. why do we have to be reminded about such beautiful truths over and over and still not remember them?

thank you. for the inspiration. and for sikhnet.

2. Alan says:

Dear Gurumustukh
    It is a pleasure to read your blog. I just think that it would be good to credit the quote to its source – Mr Nelson Mandela – “”Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. . . . Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, to be gorgeous, talented, and fabulous. Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that others won’t feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of God within us. And as we let our light shine, we consciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” People could assume that it is from Sikh literature.
    Great work, thanks and regards,
    Alan

3. Alan…I added in the author. I didn’t have it on hand when I found the quote. Actually the quote is not by Nelson Mandella. He is commonly given credit for it…but it was written by “Marianne Williamson”

4. Dear Gurumustuk:

I agree with you 100%… we are spending too much time to gain money, fame and other wordly things. Gurbani also teaches us that these wordly things will not go with us and the only thing which will go with us is ‘naam simran’. We need to balance our life so that we give enough time to meditation. We also need to spend quality time with our children and guide them in right direction.

You are doing a wonderful job of serving the community and may Waheguru give you courage to continue on this path.

Guru Fateh

5. pavandeep says:

I don’t understand why my comments keep getting deleted :S

you have a lot of “the Guru”s in this post.

you should change them.

I hope you read this before it gets deleted.

I hope it doesn’t get deleted so other people know not to write “the Guru”.

dear gurumustuk singhji,
    it is beautiful, we fully agree with u n we wish that every sikh in the world realizes this fact of life n make their janam safal .I hope it inspires many many more n we r ready to take on this path which is not easy but not difficult if we have surrendered to him n aim HIM as our 1st priority,GOD BLESS U n guide u so that u can guide others.
    thanks
    tejinder n raaji
    (we both husband n wife love it )

7. Hardie says:

GurumastakJi,
    I absolutely agree with you on this post, In todays modern materialistic world, we give priorites to such nonsense things and the real treasures and Guru’s teachings are often neglected by us delibrately.
    My parents have always taught me one thing, give your 100% to your Guru and there’s no way that he will ever let you down. Till date I have been a firm believer in this principle, n like you mentioned in your post, help does come from somewhere or the other, hence that reaffirms our belief n faith in our God thus making us a better SIKH every time.
    Its just a matter of giving oneself, our false ego to Waheguruji and there we go….He will be with us forever…..
    Keep up the gud work and babaji be with you always…..
    Gur Fateh
    Singh from joburg, RSA

tejinder nraaji from new zealand ,say we r very fortunate to have so much treasure (actually hidden)but opened n disclosed by sikhnet .readin everyday makes us thank GOD n the pipe lots n lots,we came from india mumbai n were lost but found our groundings AGAIN thanxs to all at sikh net

WAHEGURU BE WITH ALL ALWAYS

I wrote to you two days ago and was wondering how i will be able to get my query answered, can u please send me my requested answer about info about transcendental meditation just the theory behind it ,thanks ,[email protected]